"Add Hardware" can't extract *.sys files from *.cab files

When I use the "Add Hardware" wizard, it can't find *.sys
files (e.g., usbscan.sys) even when I try to point
directly at the containing *.cab file; I need to manually
extract the *.sys file and manually arbitrate between
different versions to extract the latest one (e.g., which
one to use? drivers.cab vs. sp1.cab?), and THEN point to
the extracted *.sys file. Any ideas? I had a funky unzip
program installed once upon a time that accidentally took
over my cab files so explorer / search couldn't even look
inside them, but I've since uninstalled the program and I
can now search into / extract from *.cab files. However,
I still cannot automatically extract the necessary *.sys
files from them or automatically arbitrate between *.cab
files. Please help! Thank you!
3 answers Last reply
More about hardware extract files files

    The unzip program probably not related.
    You have problem with the stock of INF files or some system services
    (such of crypto service) or some registry settings.

    --PA

    "Cheryl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9ff701c486d8$802d8020$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > When I use the "Add Hardware" wizard, it can't find *.sys
    > files (e.g., usbscan.sys) even when I try to point
    > directly at the containing *.cab file; I need to manually
    > extract the *.sys file and manually arbitrate between
    > different versions to extract the latest one (e.g., which
    > one to use? drivers.cab vs. sp1.cab?), and THEN point to
    > the extracted *.sys file. Any ideas? I had a funky unzip
    > program installed once upon a time that accidentally took
    > over my cab files so explorer / search couldn't even look
    > inside them, but I've since uninstalled the program and I
    > can now search into / extract from *.cab files. However,
    > I still cannot automatically extract the necessary *.sys
    > files from them or automatically arbitrate between *.cab
    > files. Please help! Thank you!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    That doesn't give me much to go on...do I have any hope of
    fixing this without starting over from scratch? Otherwise
    I can just live with it (annoying, but workable). Thanks!
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Hmm. maybe install SP2 before dumping it all...

    "Cheryl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a26501c486fb$17bb7150$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > That doesn't give me much to go on...do I have any hope of
    > fixing this without starting over from scratch? Otherwise
    > I can just live with it (annoying, but workable). Thanks!

Drivers Hardware Device Driver Microsoft Windows XP