Which direction should my CPU cooler be facing?

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hi guys,

Like the title says, which direction should my CPU cooler be facing? Up or out?

I'm I'm the middle of my build atm, and I'm clueless as to how these fans should be set up...

The cooler is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE.
Case is a fractal R4, it has two stock fans. One at the front and one at the rear exhaust. It also has small sound damping covers over the top exhaust which I don't mind removing if need be.

So I'd like to know how my fans and cooler should be set up in this case for optimal cooling.

Thanks,

P

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Ok, either works but which would be more effective in your opinion?

Just so I'm clear with what your saying here. My cooler has two fans supplied with it, should one of those fans be right next to the exhaust fan? Or should one of the heatsink towers separate them?

Like this...

Exhaust fan > 1st cooler fan > tower > 2nd cooler fan > tower.

Or

Exhaust fan > tower > 1st cooler fan > tower > 2nd cooler fan.

Let me know if that made sense. :D

EDIT: Is anyone else getting all these 404 errors??

im a little confused by your order of airflow starting with the exhaust fan. the exhaust fan should be the last step in airflow, as its blowing air out of the case (exhaust).

are you questioning the direction of fans, within the cpu cooler? or are you questioning which direction the cpu cooler itself should face?

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
The order is what you see from left to right when the side panel of the case is opened. The arrows aren't meant to indicate direction of airflow.

And yes, I'd like to know which direction would be most effective for this cooler?

Thanks.

ahh ok

you want one fan on the front of the cpu cooler, blowing through the cooler

the second fan in the cooler should also be blowing in the same direction, through the second tower in the cooler, towards the rear exhaust fan.

i hope that answers your question.

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Yes, you've got it. But there should be a tower between the cooler fan and exhaust fan, right? So it shouldn't look like this?

Exhaust fan < cooler fan < tower < cooler fan < tower

Cheers mate.

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
like this...

0tyap.png

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Default fan was placed over rear exhaust, you say it would be best?