Advice on upgrading from a Radeon HD6570

ArjunCheema

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello!

This is a revised version of my previous question, because I wasn't very clear.

I want to know if there are any graphics chips out there that are better than the HD6570, but are roughly the same size as this chip, GDDR3, 2GB, and the same sort of
PCI-E configuration. I have a Gateway DX4860-EF11P, it has fairly good specifications, and if you need to see the specs of it, they're on google. :)

I really hope that there is something out there that is the same size and PSU as the HD6570, has 2GB of Video Memory, and is GDDR3! (preferably nVidia) a

Here is a link to my current graphics chip: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6570/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6570-overview.aspx#3

Thank you very much! :)

Solution
You're not buying any graphics chips, you're buying a graphics card. The card has its own memory that is attached to the card, so you don't need to worry about it, the type of memory that it has is simply a factor in memory bandwidth which in turn is a factor in performance.

As for PCIe, yes, it automatically adjusted based on your system and also the workload. For example, when you're not doing something graphically intense, many PCIe 2.0/2.1 and 3.0 cards will temporarily switch down to PCIe 1.0 even if your motherboard supports greater than PCIe 1.0 to decrease power consumption.
Well there are 2 GB versions of the Radeon HD 7750 available.

The size of the chip doesn't matter, it's the size of the PCB and the cooler that you need to worry about. I'm not sure if there are any single-slot 2 GB 7750s available. It should be possible.

ArjunCheema

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I'm fairly new to this stuff, and I know that you're probably going to be like :pfff: when you see this.. but...

Am I able to replace a DDR3 graphics chip with a DDR5 graphics chip on the existing motherboard that is supporting my DDR3 graphics chip at the moment?

There's not yet any such thing as DDR5 except as theoretical. GDDR5 and DDR5 are very different technologies and DDR5 probably won't be out until between 2018 and 2021 or thereabouts.

The motherboard has absolutely nothing to do with this. The video card has its own RAM soldered on its PCB. It's not like how your computer's memory is removable and needs to be upgraded, the graphics cards have their memory unlike system memory that is a separate component.

ArjunCheema

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
So, my computer is perfectly compatible with a DDR5/GDDR5 Graphics Card as long as it fits on my Intel H67 Chipset?

If you know anything about my chipset, could you tell me if it's PCI-E 2.0, PCI-E 2.1, etc.?

Thanks a lot!

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Other than the fact there is no DDR5, as was mentioned, certainly.

You're not buying any graphics chips, you're buying a graphics card. The card has its own memory that is attached to the card, so you don't need to worry about it, the type of memory that it has is simply a factor in memory bandwidth which in turn is a factor in performance.

As for PCIe, yes, it automatically adjusted based on your system and also the workload. For example, when you're not doing something graphically intense, many PCIe 2.0/2.1 and 3.0 cards will temporarily switch down to PCIe 1.0 even if your motherboard supports greater than PCIe 1.0 to decrease power consumption.

Solution