Correct EFM encoding of regular bit patterns

G

Hello everybody.
I have seen in the "Supported writers" list of CloneCD that some writers support "correct EFM encoding of regular bit patterns". Can anyone explain what this is and what it is used for? I would also like to know if Ricoh MP 7200A is a good writer, since I am planning to buy one. I will use it mainly for Playstation, ehhhm... backups. Should I go with this or should I buy Plextor W2410TA?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Cruise to <A HREF="http://www.cdrinfo.com" target="_new">http://www.cdrinfo.com</A>, and check out the Clonecd review, and the protections sections. The writer reviews are some of the best you can find as well.

There are a couple of links to an indepth discussion of SD2 protection. The bottom line is that the older burners could not handle the switching. It's like an encryption algorithim that has a weak link; it's *too* regular. Anyway, EVERY (emphasis) single writer made today can handle it. The electronics are made precise enough on a standard basis that the writers can handle it. But msft paid large amounts of Ca$h (capital 'C') money to the developers so that they would include firmware that blocks it out. Plextor, Yamaha, Liteon. Can't remember who else makes drives.

I guess they figure the Hong Kong Specials (H&Ks) would get curbed a little from it. Reverse engineering should be a degree option. As in "Pre-medical Electrical Engineering with a minor in Reverse Engineering. Can you say "worked for about 10.5 days?" The old days of 'Sure, I'd just love to send in my worn out copy of Tomb Raider 2 and pay for the shipping and handling both ways. Can you send someone over to cut off a nice green switch from my backyard tree to beat my a$$ with too?" are closing. That's why people are allowed (by law, no less) to make a single backup of their software. This isn't the military; your first Ten Amendments still apply.

Sorry about the tangent. Anyway, the Plextor will extract audio faster. Most likely, it will overburn further. You might look into the Liteon 241040 as well.

Niteshade

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
Get the conspiracy theory crap out of your head. Do you realise how MUCH money Macromedia would have to pay ALL the manufacturer's of CD-RW drives?

What's probably more likely (and also covered on cdrinfo.com) is that there is a flaw in the EFM decoding chips used by most of the burners, hence Plextor 12/10/32 drives suddenly not able to read Safedisc2 when they changed TLA (and hence chipset) and Phillips drives ALWAYS being able to read it!

Karl Marx revolutionised thinking about money but I always thought Groucho was funnier :smile: .