Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Blue screen crash regardless of game. Running Alienware M17x Win 7 - 64 bit with

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2012 10:12:08 PM

I get the Blue screen of death crash whenever I try to get into any sort of game ..... even the lesser taxing games.
Running Win 7 x64 SP1 on an Alienware M17x R3 Laptop with the intel i7-2630 QM CPU @ 2.0Ghz
8 GB installed system memory
Graphics Adapter - Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M - Graphics RAM - 1.5Gb

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.... VERY frusterating when this system could handle most games easily and then all of a sudden overnight it just crashes on me continuously when I try and do any gaming what so ever, and I don't do online gaming.

Thanks
October 16, 2012 10:31:45 PM

You could try a thorough driver update, but if your problem is a graphics hardware problem and not a software/driver problem, then you might be in more trouble.
Score
October 16, 2012 11:18:58 PM

blazorthon said:
You could try a thorough driver update, but if your problem is a graphics hardware problem and not a software/driver problem, then you might be in more trouble.

Thats kind of what I was afraid of. I just did a driver update that came through from Nvidia this evening and it did no good at all.

I even tried updating the drivers from Nvidia manually the other day and I lost ALL of my Alienware software for everything .... couldn't even use the espawn function or anything, then I restored back to previous and it was ok other than the whole crashing business. Every other aspect of the laptop is working beautifully

This is getting very frusterating to say the least

Thanks for the info though
Score
Related resources

Best solution

October 17, 2012 6:15:51 PM

This may work for you...

I had similar issues with what you're describing. I have an AMD AthlonXP 2800+ system with an nVidia GEForce 6200 4x/8x AGP card installed. Similar issues arose with Windows XP Pro, Vista and recently after upgrading it with Windows 7 Professional Edition.

The BSOD screen gave nvdkllm.sys, dxgkrnl.sys and watchdog. sys errors. I couldn't get the OS stable and running for more than 20 minutes. Every time I open a program it gave me an BSOD! I removed and reinstalled nVidia drivers etc. and even reinstalled the OS itself several times.

Finally a solution! I found out exploring the BIOS settings that there is an "AGP Fast Write" setting. So I turned the sucker OFF and/or DISABLED it. On other BIOS settings it may fall under "Caching or Shadowing".

So far I have not had any BSOD video card related problems.

Windows 7 is not perfect, but it's running stable so far.

Let me know if this helps.
October 27, 2012 10:48:30 PM

Best answer selected by STLRCAzazel.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 12:05:58 AM

This topic has been closed by MouseMonkey
Score
!