Solved

GTX 690 No Performance Increase

Hey guys I need some help. I just got my brand new EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 690. I saved up a lot of money to purchase this card and when I put it in and installed all the latest drivers I started to test it on some games and when I started to play the games I barely saw any better performance on the games FPS. So I tried overclocking it and I didn't see any difference. My old graphics card was the Sapphire Radeon 7950. So out of curiosity I turned off the SLI to see if I can see a difference and the FPS stayed the same. I don't know what the problem is, please let me know what your thoughts are.

My system specs:

1. Super Micro Mother Bd. (X9DR3-f)
3. Intel Xeon E5-2630, sandy bridge-EP, six core(2.3Ghz each core),( 2.8G turbo Boost) Processor (qty 2)
4. Super Micro, pre-charged, CPU cooler (qty 2)
5. Cool Master 1000Watt power supply
6. Corsair 32G(4x8G), DDR3, 1600MHz (qty 2 kits)
7. Seagate 1.5TB, 6G, SATA Hard Disk
8. EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 690
9. Windows 7 (64 bit)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about performance increase
  1. What games?
    What settings for the games? e.g. ultra?
    Screen resolution?

What FPS are you getting?

Is vsync on?
  2. aaab said:
    What games?
    What settings for the games? e.g. ultra?
    Screen resolution?

What FPS are you getting?

Is vsync on?

Battlefield 3, Minecraft, and Borderlands 2 is what I tested it on. I run every game on ultra settings in 1080p. V-sync is off. Minecraft I get around 120. Battlefield 3 I get 50, and borderland 2 I get around 60-70. I got the same FPS in all the games on the old card.

Thanks for responding.
  3. 1) ati drivers can be very difficult to remove completely. I had to use driver fusion / driver sweeper

2) check the settings in nvidia panel and the game settings

3) I can only comment on BL2:

set game settings: disable vsync, set max frame rate to 120 hz (if you have a 120hz monitor, otherwise 60)
    you should see +100 fps most of the time.
    however, BL2 is CPU bound (http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/page6.html)
    also there will be fps drops into the 30/40s in certain areas. this has been reported a lot on the GBX forum.

that's how it works for me with 670SLI and latest driver.
    I could not see any improvement between single and SLI in this game.

But there is also a post there many ppl with high-end cards have performance issues in this game (http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=148554)
  4. Best answer
    To be honest, this looks like a classic CPU bottleneck. Intel Xeon E5-2630 won't be a good cpu for gaming. Yes it's a good CPU for multi threaded apps, but not soo good for single threaded stuff
  5. Smerpo said:
    Hey guys I need some help. I just got my brand new EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 690. I saved up a lot of money to purchase this card and when I put it in and installed all the latest drivers I started to test it on some games and when I started to play the games I barely saw any better performance on the games FPS. So I tried overclocking it and I didn't see any difference. My old graphics card was the Sapphire Radeon 7950. So out of curiosity I turned off the SLI to see if I can see a difference and the FPS stayed the same. I don't know what the problem is, please let me know what your thoughts are.

My system specs:

1. Super Micro Mother Bd. (X9DR3-f)
    3. Intel Xeon E5-2630, sandy bridge-EP, six core(2.3Ghz each core),( 2.8G turbo Boost) Processor (qty 2)
    4. Super Micro, pre-charged, CPU cooler (qty 2)
    5. Cool Master 1000Watt power supply
    6. Corsair 32G(4x8G), DDR3, 1600MHz (qty 2 kits)
    7. Seagate 1.5TB, 6G, SATA Hard Disk
    8. EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 690
    9. Windows 7 (64 bit)

For 1080p the 7950 will pretty much max out any game, on ultra, why didn't you just stick with that? Can you send the 690 back and get a refund?

Also it looks like you are using your computer as a workstation (ie not just gaming, I hope!!!) so the amd card will be much better for that too.

I can't find any gaming benchmarks for that xeon CPU. Probably because no sane person would ever buy one for gaming!
  6. Best answer selected by Smerpo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics