Sign in with
Your question

Need help selecting graphics card for new build.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2012 10:30:38 PM

I have been wanting to build my first computer for some time now and have been buying products when I see them on sale or with rebates. I'm looking for help on what kind of graphics card to go with. I want to be able to play newer games like battlefield 3 as well as my girlfriend wants to be able to play older games like age of empires. Also I would like to be able to stream netflix. I already have a monitor that I want to use with a 1920x1080 resolution. Overclocking is not something I have ever done but would like to be able to in the future. I'm looking to spend less than 200-300 dollars if thats possible. But i need something compatible with what I already have and something that is going to be good for awhile. Here is what I have already purchased.

intel i5 2500k processor
asus p8 z68-v/gen3 mobo
16gb gskill ripjaws ddr3 1600 ram
asus black blu-ray drive
coolermaster extreme 700w psu
hyper 212 cooler
haf 922 case with extra 200 mm fans
windows 7 home premium 64 bit

As you can see I have also not selected a hard drive but thats another topic i'm gonna be looking for help on. Thanks for any suggestions.
a c 260 U Graphics card
October 16, 2012 11:43:54 PM

A good list of parts so far.

My rule of thumb for a gamer is to spend twice the cost of your cpu on the graphics card.
Your 2500K is a strong cpu and can easily run a $400 GTX670.

You will get fair value for your money with any 28nm card in the $200-$300 range.
Do not anguish too much over differences which will not be great.
I think you are looking at a 7850/7770 or GTX660 class card.
Here is one good GTX660: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Overclocking the "K" is easy, simple, and safe. Just raise the multiplier gradually, leavong voltages and such on "auto"

As to a hard drive, do yourself a favor and start with a SSD. Everything you do will feel so much quicker. Prices are down. A 120gb ssd will hold the os and half a dozen games. 180gb or 240gb may be all you ever need. You can always add a hard drive later.
Samsung and Intel are the best for reliability.
m
l
!