Design help on IP configuration/subnetting on DD-WRT

bulldogbeau

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Hi, I have this network on my site that is in operation, it currently has an internet connection but if you view the diagram you will that it will have a further 3. Well in fact it already has just gained another but its not configured correctly.

This network is mainly for the internet but bridging of the network would be useful so that all client's (PC's) are seen over the network if possible. Though to be honest just getting the further network connections working and what IP's the WRT54(g) (gs) (gl) should be. Installed with DD-WRT v24.

So I want help in how the IP's should be configured, should the subnets be changed, which I don't fully understand.

The number of WRT router's is because the network is spread out and in different buildings. Also the directional antenna's are installed because the distances are quite large and a omni antenna just wouldn't reach.

Believe it or not the ping's are fairly low at around 50 - 90ms.

Starting from the main internet connection in the top left corner to which it connects to a switch to supply the server and local PC's.

What is the best way to design this network from the first router outwards (IP's/subnets).

I have idea's but I think they are too simple so can the other DSL links contribute to the bandwidth or not. The extra DSL links have been brought in as a main for the building it provides but with the existing link as a back up.

To make this clear I haven't done this I am trying to readress the mess the IP's are in at the moment and everythings is on 192.168.1.etc, so for the user's the IP's could run out.

Looking into it a little WDS should play a part in this I think.

Thanks for any help.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If your requirements are such that you have no issues w/ having all users/devices potentially have access to all other users/devices (and the internet, of course), then do NOT create additional subnets just for the sake of creating subnets. The more subnets you define, the harder it is to manage. Of course, sometimes you MUST define additional subnets to keep users/devices segregated, but you seemed to indicate this wasn’t the case.

All you need to support more users is change your netmask. For example, 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0 defines 256 IPs, but if you use 192.168.x.x/255.255.0.0, you have 65536 IPs! Of course, you can define other masks that define something in between those two extremes. So that’s an easy problem to solve.

http://www.dv8tor.com/Tech/netmask.htm

The thing that would concern me most (not having any other details) is the proliferation of wireless. Wireless is not particularly efficient, and so the more devices you have using the same frequency, and the more concurrent users using those frequencies, the worse the wireless performance. Wireless has the potential to become a serious bottleneck. You might need to consider additional frequencies, or perhaps even local proxy servers.

As a bridging solution, WDS comes w/ several caveats, the most significant being that it is NOT a wifi certified protocol, so incompatibilities across manufacturers (even within manufacturers sometimes) are very common. If you can GUARANTEE compatibility (e.g., all your network devices are running the same third-party firmware), then it might be acceptable. But given how problematic WDS can be, most ppl have moved away from WDS in favor of "universal" bridging (which is based on wifi certifed protocols, B/G/N).