Crackling or Popping with Sound Blasters, fixed

G

Running WinXP with SBlive and/or audigy on a KT266A mobo, 8233A southbridge. There was another post that had some helpful links, i tried those and nothing changed. After the final fix those fixes did make a difference. Here is what i did with my audigy:

With a fresh install or removed sound card drivers and software.
1. Install VIA 4in1 4.35 final driver set. restart.
2. Install creative software and driver set from the manufacturer CD. Restart, Winxp won't let some files be copied and reverts them back to default.
3. Sometimes the sound card doesnt get installed, make sure they are in device manager. If they are not, click update driver and point to the manufacturer CD. All may seem well, but not even close.
4. Now install the ADGXPDrvUpdate.exe that you can download from Creative.com. This replaces those files that XP reverted. Restart.
5. OK, now you need to get the 3.14 IDE miniport driver and install it. You can get this at viahardware.com. I also did the AGP driver but doubt that had any affect.
6. Now you get the popping but your install is fine, so you have to tweak your bios, and possibly IRQ's(I didn't have any IRQ probs). This link should give you the low down on this step. http://www.americas.creative.com/support/kbase/pfriendly.asp?Centric=108&ID=404 I had to set my PCI latency to 0.

I'm posting this for the ones that didn't figure it out or are waiting for someone to give them step by step instructions, they sure would have been helpful for me. Ill be happy to emphasize on anything, just post what ya need related to this pain in the arse :)

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
From what I understand from reading these posts, installing the 4in1's first is always the best method. Sounds reasonable to me! I have a Live! and the only channel I get noise on (w/Win2K) is the line-in channel.

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought it is PCI bandwidth problem. SB Live have problem with my BX board. I have try many solution but none worked so far.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
In most cases it's a PCI bandwidth problem if you have a lot of PCI cards but in other cases, it can be fixed from the BIOS with a couple of tweaks on a VIA-based motherboard

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
any cures for it out there for intel 815 based boards ?

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

G

The cure is to get a card with the Cirrus Logic CS4630 or 4624 chip

Game Theater XP
Santa Cruz

Fortissimo II
TerraTec's DMX Xfire 1024

Why ATI R8500?
Because there is an A in front of Ti, and a 8 in front of 500 ;)