Router/modem help needed

So I went to my local Fry's today to get a few things. The major thing I went for would be a wireless usb adapter for my new build(I can't run a wire around throughout the house to hard wire it). So I believe I found a good one, it's a Netgear N600 wireless dual band adapter. Of course I don't know much about networking so an employee recommended I also buy Netgear N600 wireless dual band gigabit router.

Now my question is this. Is this really needed? I do mostly gaming so every bit helps. I realize the N-network is "faster" then the G-network but will I see a difference? I currently have at&t u-verse 18mbps service plan with a 3801HGV modem. Regardless I will keep the usb adapter as I will need it, but I dont know if the performance the n router offers will make a difference with me most likely not even maxing out the g modem.

If it is worth it then can someone refer me to a good setup guide? The employee mentioned something about having to change some settings on the 3801HGV to change it to just a modem instead of a modem/router combo and then set up the router to take over from there. I personally am thinking that he was just trying to get the company money, as having them come to install it would be an extra $99.

Thanks for any help I may receive on this issue.
1 answer Last reply
More about router modem needed

1. As you've observed, you can't ship bandwidth around the house any faster than it comes through the door so there's no point in having such a fast router unless you're planning to upgrade your ISP connection.

Any Wireless G capable router will link up with your MODEM and form the hub of a wireless network - just remember to secure it so no-one else gets in and slows things down. The Sticky Post at the top of this sub-Forum page tells you all you need to know.

Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Wireless Modem Networking