Some questions for an experienced PC Builder.

Shaidz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I have searching around for a while trying to get an idea of what I am going to build lately and I've always had a budget of $1000. (Excluding the OS and Monitor) As it currently stands here is my (Soon to be) build.

i5 3570K – $227 from PCDIY or MSY
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO – $34 from PCDIY or MSY
8GB KIT 1600 Kingston Hyper-X – $43 from MSY
1TB Westen Digital Blue – $76 from PCDIY
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 – $135 from PCDIY or MSY
Radeon HD 7870 Saphire O/C – $245 from PCDIY or MSY
NZXT 410 Phantom White – $128 from PCDIY
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular – 79$ + $13 Postage from PC CASE GEAR
Samsung SATA DVD Optical Drive – $19 from PCDIY

Total at best possible prices – $999

As you can see it fits right into my budget but I'll get to the questions now. I think I should, as many people have suggested, invest in a SSD but there doesn't seem to be any room for one in my budget. I don't need to have massive storage, 64GB I think would be fine for what I will store on it. (OS and a few programs and games I most frequently run) So should I think of building a non-overclocking build to save some money and buy a SSD? (Also you may be thinking I should can the Modular PSU and get a less expensive case. But I'm really fussy when it comes to how the inside and outside looks so thats why I've got a modular PSU and also colour co-ordinated my build to Blue & Black on the inside.) My other questions are how much performance will I gain when overclocking my CPU to around 4.3GHz and also what does a better and faster CPU inpact and make faster?

Thankyou to all who help.

It is also worth noting that I'm just 13 and this is my first build so I may not understand some terms when it comes to parts and such.

g-unit1111

Titan
think I should, as many people have suggested, invest in a SSD but there doesn't seem to be any room for one in my budget. I don't need to have massive storage, 64GB I think would be fine for what I will store on it. (OS and a few programs and games I most frequently run) So should I think of building a non-overclocking build to save some money and buy a SSD?

On that budget I'd skip the SSD for now. They're nice to have but you can always add one in later and they'll be the same performance wise. I'd stick with what you have right now but switch out the PSU and get a Corsair CX600. Also make sure your RAM is 1.5V.

Shaidz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Thankyou for your reply I've decided to go with a cheaper case and get an SSD. Also my RAM is 1.65V I think. Will this be a problem?

g-unit1111

Titan

Ivy Bridge won't mix well with 1.65V RAM, you need 1.5V. I wouldn't go too much cheaper on the case - the Phantom 410 is one of the best you can get for the money.

Shaidz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Is the Sharkoon T28 a good case? I've had some people tell me it is a nice case for the money and it would look great with my build.

g-unit1111

Titan

They're not available in the US - what I've seen is pretty decent but I'd go with something from Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, or Silverstone.

Shaidz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

I live in Australia and I can get the Sharkoon here.