Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD After New Mobo/CPU/RAM

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2012 6:40:07 AM

Wasn't exactly sure whether to put this in the WinXP, CPU, or Mobo category, so here it goes.
I recently got an i7 3770 Ivy Bridge, an Asus Sabertooth Z77, and 1x8GB 1600 Corsair RAM.
I'm still using my old parts - nVidia GeForce GTS 450, 600Watt Xigmatek PSU, and some random HDD from a store-bought computer.
Well after hooking everything up, there were 2 odd things - one more serious than the other.
Well first I noticed in the BIOS it said my ram was 1333 Mhz, so I changed it from auto to 1600. I also ran a RAM test and it tested okay. But it's not on ASUS's "approved RAM" list in the manual.
Then the more serious issue, since I have Ubuntu and Windows XP (32 Bit), it prompts me on which to use.
When I choose WinXP, it BSOD's and restarts too fast for me to read the error. I've tried safe mode, and even tried to do recovery mode, but as soon as Windows tries to load it crashes. I'd think this was a HDD issue of some kind, but Ubuntu still runs completely fine.
Would XP crash because it's 32 bit and I'm running 8GB RAM?
Could it be from a new BIOS/CPU?

More about : bsod mobo cpu ram

December 7, 2012 6:48:12 AM

Hi rccola2424

Okay, so how did you test that the ram works fine? I suggest getting hirens boot cd and running memtest for an hour or so.

Your second issue is because windows xp uses specific drivers from your old motherboard/cpu during its startup. You will have to at least repair your OS. I suggest switching over to windows 7, windows xp is somewhat outdated.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 7, 2012 6:49:39 AM

Let me guess. You changed mobo/cpu/ram and tried to use your old HD with old windows install?
Well.. this usually doesn't works. It would be better to format the HD.

As a plus use the 64bit windows version
Related resources
December 7, 2012 6:50:02 AM

jihtu said:
Hi rccola2424

Okay, so how did you test that the ram works fine? I suggest getting hirens boot cd and running memtest for an hour or so.

Your second issue is because windows xp uses specific drivers from your old motherboard/cpu during its startup. You will have to at least repair your OS. I suggest switching over to windows 7, windows xp is somewhat outdated.

To test the ram, I just used the RAM test button on the motherboard.
And damn, I'll need to upgrade either way, I never had a boot disk for XP.
m
l
December 7, 2012 6:50:18 AM

Uh.
Crap.
Meant this for the other guy.
No offense, guy who I accidentally chose.
m
l
December 7, 2012 7:18:42 AM

its cool, np :) 
m
l
!