Replacing an asus G2S display

dankarpinski

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello All,

I have a cracked display for my Asus G2S so I've removed it and seen that the model number of the display is: B170PW07

I'd like to buy a replacement display for the laptop but I'm having trouble finding an exact fit.

Here is an exact model replacement:
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/B170PW07~V.0/

And here is a replacement apparently compatible with the G2S:
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G2S/

The only difference I see is that the first has 2 CCFL bulbs and the second just 1. However, the second is significantly cheaper and I wonder whether I can connect that display and use just one bulb leaving one output unutilised.

Would that be possible or would I have a problem if I were to do that?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

LSB

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hi!

Thanks for the update on the model in your G2S,

you can try getting the single bulb, it will most likely work,
although naturally the DUAL bulb screens are brighter.

Please let us know how it works out :)

dankarpinski

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Well I have the new screen and have tried to plug it in to the inverter using just one output.

And for a second it works, however then the inverter realises that it's missing a backlight and the whole thing cuts out.

I've tried using one backlight plugged in from the old screen at the same time and that works fine, so it's definitely just cutting out when no connection is detected.

Any ideas what to do without using a different screen or different inverter? I'm considering tricking the inverter with a resistor, but I'm not entirely sure how good an idea it would be especially due to the varying resistance a normal backlight would have, it wouldn't be possible to replicate that.

dmsb

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
this is old but can still help someone. I had this same problem and solved by connecting a second lamp ( removed from de bad display) inside the frame of the LCD (have enough space left). So I could put a screen with just one lamp.