DNS lookup failed/DNS server not responding?

Hey guys,

I have a Windows XP laptop and a Windows 7 desktop. The desktop has no wifi support, I had built it myself. To get internet on my desktop (used for games), I had connected my laptop to the pc, and the laptop picked up wifi from my AT&T gateway in another part of the house. ( I can't move the gateway currently) I have been wanting to connect the desktop to a router/repeater/bridge that would pick up my gateway signal, therefore eliminating the use of the laptop. I also have an Xbox right next to the pc, so I din't want to get an adapter because then I would have to purchase two, so I picked up a a wireless n router with 4 ethernet ports. ( then I could connect both systems using 2 ethernet cables) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166064&Tpk=rnx-n150rt

I knew when purchasing the router that it had repeater/bridge support. Currently, I have it configured as a wifi bridge. I can connect to it via my laptop, on the wireless networks page, it shows my gateway signal, and the bridge/router, so I connect to the router. It says I have excellent connection, but I can't connect to the internet? Using Google Chrome, it says DNS lookup failed. I can't get on any website, only the router's config page, which is 192.168.1.1. I also connected the router to my pc, and when troubleshooting it says DNS server not responding, may be non existant or incorrect?

I have set up the bridge correctly, using the manual. http://www.rosewill.com/Mgnt/Uploads2/AttachmentForProduct/rnx-n150rt_support_3modes.pdf

How do I fix this? All I want is the router to pick up the wifi signal and relay it to my pc and xbox via ethernet cables. :cry:
4 answers Last reply
More about lookup failed server responding
  1. I'm confused as to what is connected to what.

diagram the network from the ISP connection. Modem > Router > Laptop and PC? or Modem > Router > Laptop > your new router > PC?

What is this new router connected to?
  2. This is how it goes.

wall > gateway/router > new router > laptop & pc

My gateway is connected to the jack in the wall. I don't know if you would call the gateway a modem or a router, but it emits a wifi signal.

I want the new router, which I set in wifi bridge mode, to pick up the signal from the gateway, via wifi. Then I could connect my pc to the new router(wired).

Here's a diagram: ----(wired); - - - -(wireless)

wall jack------- gateway- - - - - - - - - - router------PC & Xbox
  3. hm...change your dns to 8.8.8.8 and alternate 8.8.4.4,I assume from what you have done that everything is right
  4. What IP settings does the router get from the gateway? I take it that thing is a combo modem/router from the ISP? Did you turn off DHCP on the router?
Ask a new question

Read More

Connectivity Laptops Routers Desktops Wireless Networking Product