Ram which is compatible with my old motherboard

gizzyweb

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Had a bit of a nightmare trying to upgrade my ram.
My motherboard is: GA-H55M-S2 (rev. 1.3)
Specification: Memory:
2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1666 (O.C.)/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
The supported memory only shows a max 4GB.
Can anybody recommend a type of ram which will work with my old motherboard? Ideally looking for more than 8GB because I currently have 4GB and with Photoshop, Zend Studio and Firefox with multiple tabs its very rare its not maxed out. It wont be long until the next version of photoshop comes along that uses more memory so want to be prepared.

I have stupidly purchased both and not compatible (I thought all ram was the same lol):
- Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
- Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengenace 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 Memory Two Module Kit

well you can get ram sticks raging from 800 mhz up to 1333mhz speed wise
with the current ram can't you boot to bios and manually set the timings to make it run slower for compability?

gizzyweb

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I spent all day yesterday changing all of the different settings in my bios but eventually gave up this morning and sent it back.

You can see my other question here

ChopperXXX

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
doesn't crucial.com have a ram checker/advisor that tells you what you have, what mobo ou have and what you can do to upgrade it still?

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Yes ChopperXXX they do and I think corsair does to. The two types of RAM you bought have too high a clock speed, you need to get 1333 or lower. Does your machine boot with the RAM in? You need to reset your BIOS to factory before you but the RAM in that usually irons out any settings issues. Also check the mobo website because you may find that there is a later BIOS for your board that will improve compatability. Also YenJunior has a valid point if your operating system is only 32bit you will only see a max of 4GB anyway....