Computer Randomly Freezes

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Good Day,
I've had this problem ever since I built my computer.
My specs are in my sig, but for clarity sake..

CPU: AMD FX-6100 @ stock speed
CPU Cooler: Deep Cool Ice Blade Pro v2
MOBO: MSI 990FX-GD80
GPU: Palit GTX 650 Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb Kit Dual Channel
PSU: Aerocool Strike X 600w 80+ True Rated Bronze
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD
HDD: Samsung 500Gb 7200rpm

At first my problem was specific, every time I play Heroes of Newerth my computer randomly freezes into a green or black screen with a repeating sound (i can't describe the sound but it's not within the game). A month after I finally got my Dota 2 Beta key, so I downloaded Dota 2 and when I played the same thing happens, it will randomly freeze to usually a green screen.
Next it happened ONCE while playing Assassin's Creed 3, never happened before but after the Dota 2 freeze it happened on ACR3. Finally my computer will freeze randomly at times, 1 time while opening vlc, 1 time while browsing the net, another time while just minimizing.

I tried removing psu cables from 3 fans, so my speculations that it was the psu have been removed, next I tried positioning my SSD and HDD on different areas on the case, still happened. I placed SSD hanging inside the case, mounted them. I uninstalled AMD Control Center, since I am not using any AMD GPUs so I thought it was messing with my nvidia GPU and I uninstalled it.
Any help please?

Here are my event log from windows event log, don't know which one would help but I'll post them anyway..

LoadPerf: Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

LoadPerf:The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

Service Control Manager:The AODDriver4.01 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

Kernel Event Tracing:Session "Microsoft-Windows-Setup" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

Kernel-Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Firmware, BIOS, memory and drivers...

In no particular order... Look at the firmware on the SSD and update accordingly. Check driver versions for your hardware and update where needed. Test your memory using MemTest86 (Google is your friend). Update the motherboard BIOS (if applicable). These are the hard issues to resolve, but always go back to basics. If your problems persist come on back and we can help further.

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
motherboard bios up to date. I updated ssd firmware after I had finished installing windows and other software I use. did a memtest, it was fine, no errors.. Also I did furmark, burn test, while doing a prime95 on all 6 cores, and while playing a video on vlc, while monitoring the temperatures.. It ran fine for like an hour or so, cause I was impatient, and it was most likely to crash at 15-30min if it had something wrong..
So I'm just lost here..

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
gpu drivers are 310.64, I tried the stable WHQL one, 306.97, this was the first driver, the crashes still happens, but at that time it was still while playing Heroes of Newerth. Sandisk S211 firmware. motherboard bios v11.13.

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
only drivers for this board are ethernet and sound.. should that be the problem? i installed the drivers of those from the driver cd that came along in the box.. I updated bios, gpu drivers, ssd firmware.. the rest, stayed the same.

Should I update them? will that solve my problem?

Quite possibly. At a minimum I would install the chipset and Renesas USB3.0 drivers. RAID driver would be nice as well.. Might consider going to the Utilites section and install MSI Live Update and make sure you are all up-to-date.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD80.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2064

Of note... for me the web site detects my machine incorrectly as Win8 which shows a limited set of drivers to download / install. You may have to manually change the OS as I did.

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Ok, I'll do that, do I really need RAID drivers? I'm not sure if I installed them since I only have 1 HDD and 1 SSD, and both are separate physically and on the computer drives..
Quick, Question: Is it bad if I connect 1 Fan to the PSU Molex connector then connect the fan to another fan and the other to another.. Since the fan has 2 Molex adapters, on the first the one molex goes to psu molex the other goes to the second fan's molex, then the second fan's second molex goes to the third..

Confusing? I hope you understood what I meant, just really trying everything before going to the shop where I bought the parts.. :D

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I'm trying to run my system without the 3 front 120mm fans that are connected in series to a single molex connector from the PSU, been running for a day now.. I'm still checking if the fans the problem or the psu (not enought power)..

empty213

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
computer froze, now it didn't display a blank black, green, grey, or blue screen. It just froze, crtl alt dlt was impossible, it functioned back as I pushed the power button to turn it off. any inputs?

chavez1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes
No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers especially the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI ontrollers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.

Latest posts