Sign in with
Your question

Why is my GPU running so hot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2012 3:05:09 AM

I just built a new system the other day, and in this system was a shiny new GTX 560 Ti Hawk. Today I finally got all of the programs up and running that I wanted. Before doing any gaming, I decided to run the Unigine benchmark program to make sure my temperatures were reasonable.

They weren't. My resolution is only 1280x720 (I'm hooked up to a small HDTV), with a 60Hz refresh rate. I had most settings turned up to high, but I turned off the crazy stuff like anti-aliasing. I wasn't sure if my GPU could handle it, but I was pulling an average of ~120 FPS. But I checked MSI Afterburner, and during the Unigine session my GPU was at 100 celsius for way too long.

I made a custom cooling curve in Afterburner, so my fans run at 100% above 60 celsius. I did the benchmark again, with the same results. I did it a third time, but with VSync turned on, so I was locked at 60 FPS. Performance was fine, and my temps were maxing out in the 70's somewhere.

I guess I've solved the issue, but why should I need to cut my FPS in half to get reasonable temps? My case is a bit cramped, I guess - it's the Rosewill Challenger. Should I fix my cable management a bit?

More about : gpu running hot

a b U Graphics card
October 17, 2012 3:30:02 AM

Well it doesn't really matter that it is a 60fps. But, that is a problem. When my 560ti was breaking those were the temps they were getting, then in a few weeks it started freezing. So I would call or email msi, or the retailer you bought it from, they might be able to send you a new one. With evga it took about 2 weeks to rma so returning would probably take less time.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
October 17, 2012 5:38:38 AM

If its brand new, you might want to send it back. They may have not seated the cooler properly.

It can't be dust. Is there anything restricting airflow to the card?
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 11:38:30 AM

I can take a picture of my cable management a little later. It's not the best, but there's nothing directly blocking airflow. If I send it back, would I need to pay shipping, and then wait a week for a refund? It sounds like such a painful process.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 17, 2012 4:05:09 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Graphics & Displays by MouseMonkey
m
l
!