Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New York Thieves

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:43:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all of
the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with any
New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and the
ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I will
do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell barely
above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.

More about : york thieves

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 6:47:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bill and Lisa" <mc5WWW@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:tQMce.115$gc6.43@okepread04...
| What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
| from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all of
| the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
| inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
| charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with any
| New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and the
| ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I will
| do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell barely
| above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.
|
|

Are you retarded?
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 6:47:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hmmm. Sounds like you must both work for or own a new york camera
dealership. Why be insulting to someone trying to prevent others from
being ripped off?
"Larry Horse" <Lhorse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D UMce.1927$2f2.1618@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Bill and Lisa" <mc5WWW@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> news:tQMce.115$gc6.43@okepread04...
> | What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
> | from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all
> of
> | the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
> | inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
> | charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with
> any
> | New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and
> the
> | ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I
> will
> | do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell
> barely
> | above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.
> |
> |
>
> Are you retarded?
>
>
Related resources
April 30, 2005 6:57:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Larry Horse" <Lhorse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D UMce.1927$2f2.1618@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Bill and Lisa" <mc5WWW@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> news:tQMce.115$gc6.43@okepread04...
> | What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
> | from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all
of
> | the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
> | inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
> | charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with
any
> | New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and
the
> | ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I
will
> | do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell
barely
> | above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.
> |
> |
>
> Are you retarded?
>
>
Thats an insult to retards...
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:43:35 -0500, "Bill and Lisa"
<mc5WWW@cox-internet.com> wrote:

>What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
>from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all of
>the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
>inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
>charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with any
>New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and the
>ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I will
>do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell barely
>above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.
>

Apparently, you didn't deal with B&H did you? So you deserve what you
got.


*********************************************************

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
my testimony. The events I have recorded should
not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:44:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bill and Lisa" <mc5WWW@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:tQMce.115$gc6.43@okepread04...
> What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
> from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all of
> the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
> inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
> charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with
any
> New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and
the
> ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I
will
> do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell barely
> above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.

Troll
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 8:30:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bill and Lisa" <mc5WWW@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:m7Nce.116$gc6.24@okepread04...
> Hmmm. Sounds like you must both work for or own a new york camera
> dealership. Why be insulting to someone trying to prevent others from
> being ripped off?

Because not all NYC dealers are thieves. You almost certainly fell for a
"too good to be true" price, rather than doing any research prior to trying
to buy. A quick look at ResellerRatings.com would have told you all you
needed to know. There are several good dealers in the NYC area, including
Adorama, B&H, & Buydig. There are also dealers such as Amazon, Dell, and
Newegg, which are reliable.

eBay is about the worst place to buy high end camera equipment.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:20:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

From: "Bill and Lisa" <mc5WWW@cox-internet.com>

| What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
| from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all of
| the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
| inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
| charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with any
| New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and the
| ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I will
| do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell barely
| above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.
|

Was that LePettit on 42cnd and 5th Avenue in NYC ?

The reason I ask this is because I just saw a CBS NY Channel 2 "Shame on You" report that
mirrors your experience were a MSRP for a point & Shoot was $99.00 and the store sold the
camera for $200.00 then charged ~$100.00 more for the accessories that are supposed to come
free with the camera.

So basically a $100.00 camera was sold to the customer for ~$300.00 !

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
May 6, 2005 7:20:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

What nationality are most of the owners, I bet not USA.
Another problem is that e-bay is full of the same crooks, and the law
protects them.




"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
news:toBee.16763$8e4.16537@trnddc09...
> From: "Bill and Lisa" <mc5WWW@cox-internet.com>
>
> | What amazes me is that I just bought a Canon 20 d, and could not buy one
> | from any of the large dealers that did no rip you off by sepeating all
> of
> | the factory packaged items, and selling them to you at super ripoff
> | inflationary prices. I got the body, and managed to get the battery,
> | charger, and lenses off of ebay. This is the last time I will deal with
> any
> | New york based camera dealer period. These dealers have the stock, and
> the
> | ability to do good honest business, but choose not to. As a result, I
> will
> | do everything in my power to become a Canon U.S.A. dealer, and sell
> barely
> | above cost, and not charge 86.00 for shipping to U.S. residents.
> |
>
> Was that LePettit on 42cnd and 5th Avenue in NYC ?
>
> The reason I ask this is because I just saw a CBS NY Channel 2 "Shame on
> You" report that
> mirrors your experience were a MSRP for a point & Shoot was $99.00 and the
> store sold the
> camera for $200.00 then charged ~$100.00 more for the accessories that are
> supposed to come
> free with the camera.
>
> So basically a $100.00 camera was sold to the customer for ~$300.00 !
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
>
>
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:20:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Thu, 5 May 2005 23:01:17 -0500, "John" <JF@comcast.net> wrote:

>What nationality are most of the owners, I bet not USA.
>Another problem is that e-bay is full of the same crooks, and the law
>protects them.

Ebay refuses to acknowlege any levels of fraud or misrepresentation
by their sellers. It would hurt them too much. I don't know anyone
who has done any substantial amount of purchasing off Ebay who
hasn't been the victim or attempted victim of fraud.
-Rich
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:31:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

From: "RichA" <none@none.com>


|
| Ebay refuses to acknowlege any levels of fraud or misrepresentation
| by their sellers. It would hurt them too much. I don't know anyone
| who has done any substantial amount of purchasing off Ebay who
| hasn't been the victim or attempted victim of fraud.
| -Rich

Exactly why I would *never* even consider eBay as a viable option. I like to see, pick up
and examine what I am about to purchase. You can't do that over the Internet and it is way
too easy to misrepresent a product or outright lie.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:31:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "RichA" <none@none.com>
>
>
> |
> | Ebay refuses to acknowlege any levels of fraud or misrepresentation
> | by their sellers. It would hurt them too much. I don't know anyone
> | who has done any substantial amount of purchasing off Ebay who
> | hasn't been the victim or attempted victim of fraud.
> | -Rich

In the few buys I've made I've always been happy with the outcome, the
honesty of the sellers and the item received.

>
> Exactly why I would *never* even consider eBay as a viable option. I like to see, pick up
> and examine what I am about to purchase. You can't do that over the Internet and it is way
> too easy to misrepresent a product or outright lie.

It's just as easy to examine the sellers ratings, get in contact with
the seller and some buyers. I saved hundreds on a near new 28-70 f/2.8
(with circ pol and UV filter thrown in). I saved over $75 on a vertical
grip.

In another deal for a Hassy 500CM, back and 150 f/4 I telephoned the
seller and he stated that there was a light coating of some substance on
an internal lens group. He claimed it did not affect image quality. I
said I was worried as I like that lens in the fall to do backlit
folliage and such. He said, "yeah, that would be risky. Don't bid."

Spot the deal. Do the homework. Don't bid emotionally. They keep
coming around.

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:31:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Alan Browne wrote:


> In another deal for a Hassy 500CM, back and 150 f/4

In buying used zeiss lenses, I have been sucessful by making my purchase
conditional on my sending the lens to hasselblad/USA, and giving it a
factory service. I pay for the standard service. If there is anything
beyond the factory service, He pays, or the deal is off, I get my money,
and he gets the lens back after paying for the factory service.

>
> Cheers,
> Alan
>
> --
> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
> -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
> -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:13:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Crownfield wrote:

> In buying used zeiss lenses, I have been sucessful by making my purchase
> conditional on my sending the lens to hasselblad/USA, and giving it a
> factory service. I pay for the standard service. If there is anything
> beyond the factory service, He pays, or the deal is off, I get my money,
> and he gets the lens back after paying for the factory service.

I thought about this, but the fellow had other bidders up so I let it go.

But, out of curiosity, what would such service cost?

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Alan Browne wrote:
>
> Crownfield wrote:
>
> > In buying used zeiss lenses, I have been sucessful by making my purchase
> > conditional on my sending the lens to hasselblad/USA, and giving it a
> > factory service. I pay for the standard service. If there is anything
> > beyond the factory service, He pays, or the deal is off, I get my money,
> > and he gets the lens back after paying for the factory service.
>
> I thought about this, but the fellow had other bidders up so I let it go.
>
> But, out of curiosity, what would such service cost?

no longer factory, but should be the same quality.
http://www.gilghitelman.com/repair.html
an interesting site.

Fairfield CT, of all places.

HASSELBLAD REPAIR SERVICES CHART
Description Price
----------------------------------------------
Lens Overhaul (50mm-250mm CF)* $139
Lens Overhaul (30, 40, 350, 500 CF)* $165
500C Overhaul $175
500CM/CX Overhaul $135
SWC Overhaul $225
SWC/M (CF) or 903 Overhaul $185
500EL Overhaul $265
500ELM/ELX $215
Magazine Overhaul (manual) $85
Magazine Overhaul (automatic) $75
Magazine Overhaul (70mm) $125
Screen Installation (overhaul additional)$50

>
> Cheers,
> Alan
>
> --
> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
> -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
> -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:48:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Crownfield wrote:

> no longer factory, but should be the same quality.
> http://www.gilghitelman.com/repair.html
> an interesting site.
>
> Fairfield CT, of all places.

Seems very reasonable. Thanks. I'll keep in mind for my next round and
hope that local services are at about the same level.

>
> HASSELBLAD REPAIR SERVICES CHART
> Description Price
> ----------------------------------------------
> Lens Overhaul (50mm-250mm CF)* $139

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:48:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Alan Browne wrote:
>
> Crownfield wrote:
>
> > no longer factory, but should be the same quality.
> > http://www.gilghitelman.com/repair.html
> > an interesting site.
> >
> > Fairfield CT, of all places.
>
> Seems very reasonable. Thanks. I'll keep in mind for my next round and
> hope that local services are at about the same level.

personally, I would consider very carefully
before I took Blad lenses anywhere
but to someone who had done them for hasselblad,
or paillard or whoever imports them now.

>
> >
> > HASSELBLAD REPAIR SERVICES CHART
> > Description Price
> > ----------------------------------------------
> > Lens Overhaul (50mm-250mm CF)* $139
>
> --
> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
> -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
> -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
May 7, 2005 9:46:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <d5fvj0$s4s$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Spot the deal. Do the homework. Don't bid emotionally. They keep
>coming around.

A lot of people only check Ebay once in a while, when they want
something. They don't have a list of vendors that they have done
business with and would return to. They haven't developed a nose
for what's on the level and what might not be. Same as any other
marketplace.

One thing to be aware of, it would be extremely difficult to forge a
good feedback profile. It would be more labor intensive and time
consuming and expensive, than simply being an honest consistent seller.

Another thing, inexperienced sellers don't always know how to do
shipping. They aren't good at packing things (even if they *think* they
are), and they often don't even know how to take the package directly to
the shipper, and end up using a shipping reseller. This costs a
fortune.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:50:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Crownfield wrote:

> personally, I would consider very carefully
> before I took Blad lenses anywhere
> but to someone who had done them for hasselblad,
> or paillard or whoever imports them now.

I would certainly check with a few pros and stores that cater to pros
for MF equipment and find out who does the job best; who are the
authorized repair facilities, etc. But the prev. post does serve as a
reference for budgeting.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Alan


--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:57:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

james wrote:

> are), and they often don't even know how to take the package directly to
> the shipper, and end vp vsing a shipping reseller. This costs a
> fortvne.

I vsvally vse the company FedEx accovnt and give that nvmber to the
seller. Then I reimbvrse the company on a following expense accovnt.
This takes the sellers shipping ineptitvde ovt of the eqvation.

I sold a meter to a fellow in Florida. He made payment by Western Union
(which I naïvely agreed to). Western Union clipped me hard on the
US-> CAD exchange. There are mainy potholes on this road...

I sold an old Telex headset to a fellow in CA. He sent me a US Postal
Cheqve. No bank here wovld tovch it. A few weeks later I was in
Orlando and I went to the post office. They didn't have enovgh cash on
hand to pay me! I sent the Postal check back to the gvy in California.
I considered calling the police in Orlando and accvsing the post
office of mail fravd and kiting cheqves... (As I had no bank accovnt in
the US, I covldn't cash it there either ...).

Cheers,
Alan.

--
-- r.p.e.35mm vser resovrce: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmvr.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysvr.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rvlz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLvnch.
!