Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't Get Radeon HD 7770 1GB PCI-e To Detect

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2012 5:59:46 PM

I just bought the CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1337, and the graphics card isn't registering. I'm new to this kind of stuff, so I don't know if I'm supposed to open up the computer and plug it in somewhere. I have the specs of the computer listed below. I would appreciate any help on getting the AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB PCI-e to work.

Processor Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5Ghz
Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 8MB L3 Cache
Memory 8GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive 1TB SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s 7200RPM
Optical Drive 1 24x DVD+/-R/+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB PCI-e Graphics
Audio Sound card - Integrated
Power Supply 600W
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Special Features

Corsair Carbide 300R Gaming Case

CPU

CPU Type Intel Core i7
CPU Speed 3770k(3.50GHz)
L3 Cache Per CPU 8MB
CPU Socket Type LGA 1155

CPU Main Features

64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Max Turbo Frequency 3.9 GHz

Memory

Memory Capacity 8GB DDR3
Memory Speed DDR3 1333
Memory Spec 4GB x 2
Memory Slot (Total) 4
Memory Slot (Available) 2
Maximum Memory Supported 32GB

Hard Drive

HDD Capacity 1TB
HDD Interface SATA III
HDD RPM 7200rpm

Expansion

PCI Slots (Available/Total)

2 x PCI-e x16 (1 Available)
2 x PCI (Available)
October 17, 2012 7:24:29 PM

What do you mean by 'it isn't registering'? No picture on the monitor? Do you have the monitor selected to the input you are using; i.e HDMI, DVI, VGA?
m
l
October 17, 2012 7:50:37 PM

I have a picture on the monitor. I'm saying the Computer isn't recognizing the fact that I have this graphics card. It says I have an Intel HD 4000 graphics card, even though I can see the Radeon inside of the case. I'm not exactly sure how to set an input. I'm using a DVI input. A message I get when the computer first boots up is as follows.

"The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager."
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2012 8:06:35 PM

Is you monitor plugged into the correct DVI port? It sounds like you're plugged into the motherboard graphics port. You need to be plugged into the discrete card's port. If so, shut down before doing it.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:16:35 PM

What Clutch said is probably correct, make sure you are actually plugged into the GPU, and if you are still not getting picture, try to update the drivers while plugged into the MOBO. At that point, if it still won't work through the GPU, contact Cyberpower and tell them you likely have a faulty GPU.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:20:19 PM

in your bios there should be a setting to choose between the onboard graphics and discrete. choose discrete then plug your monitor into the discrete card.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:29:04 PM

Your modern motherboard should automatically default to the PEG selection when it sees a card in the PCIe slot. You won't have to go into BIOS if you're unfamiliar with that.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:36:32 PM

I only have one DVI port on the computer, so it can't be in the wrong spot. I went into the BIOS, and I didn't see an option between onboard graphics and descrete. There was an option where you can change the Internal Graphics Memory Size, and I changed that from 64 to 1024.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:42:25 PM

That is not going to have any effect on your problem, did you open your case and look inside and see where the rear of the GPU comes out to confirm your plugged into it? And if you are plugged in through it and it tells you it is working off the integrated GPU then try to update your GPU drivers.

And what is your MOBO?
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:43:14 PM

TheImmortalGoud said:
I only have one DVI port on the computer, so it can't be in the wrong spot. I went into the BIOS, and I didn't see an option between onboard graphics and descrete. There was an option where you can change the Internal Graphics Memory Size, and I changed that from 64 to 1024.

You've got to have more than one. You said Windows was 'seeing' the Intel HD 4000 graphics. That's the built-in graphics. If you really do have the card installed it will be down below the cluster of ports at the top. It will be down in the expansion slot area.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:44:56 PM

Is that inside the computer? I only see one of them on the outside.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:50:03 PM

No, it is on the rear of the case, the MOBO ports likely include USB and spots for audio, ethernet, etc... that will be your MOBO. Below that should be another set of outputs which is your GPU and should only have outputs (A Displayport, HDMI, DVI, and a VGA out according to the specs). I dunno if it makes a difference, but does the DVI cable have a space in the middle between the pins on the right side? A single link DVI cable has 9 pins, a space, and 9 more pins where a dual link DVI cable has 24 pins all in rows. Again, I don't know if that matters and am not quite sure if the PC can pass the signal through the GPU from the integrated GPU to the monitor anyways.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:50:13 PM

To Chuvot, I have not gone inside the computer. I have a Gigabyte Motherboard.

Edit: That was to your previous reply, not the one above this post.
m
l
October 17, 2012 8:56:22 PM

I'm going to take a picture of the back, so you can get a better idea of it.
m
l

Best solution

October 17, 2012 9:00:58 PM

TheImmortalGoud said:
Is that inside the computer? I only see one of them on the outside.

If this is how the back of your PC looks, the card is here:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
October 17, 2012 9:17:53 PM

I don't have that row where the arrow is pointing to. This is all I have.

m
l
October 17, 2012 9:23:00 PM

Your picture is 90 degrees to my picture. Plus you are not showing the area to the 'right' where the card slot is located. Those are all your motherboard ports in your pic. The expansion slot is to the right.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:23:31 PM

then you dont have a discrete graphics card, um... why do you think you have a 7770?

edit: this is getting painful btw
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:23:39 PM

I actually do have it. It is just not set in place. Should I open it up and put it where it should go.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:24:30 PM

clutchc said:
Your picture is 90 degrees to my picture. Plus you are not showing the area to the 'right' where the card slot is located. Those are all your motherboard ports in your pic. The expansion slot is to the right.
I didn't take that side, but it wasn't there. Trust me.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:24:39 PM

TheImmortalGoud said:
I actually do have it. It is just not set in place. Should I open it up and put it where it should go.

WHAT!!!
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:26:02 PM

I couldn't tell since the card fell out of where it was supposed to go. It was just moving around in the computer. After you posted that picture I figure it out.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:27:48 PM

Ahh, so it came with the PC just loose inside? If I hadn't heard that most pre-builders had horrible support I would call and demand a brand new card or even an upgrade, that is ridiculous.

You can try putting it in if you want, but I would personally not do anything with it as it could be damaged and I would not want them trying to say I did it. If you need info on doing that let us know.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:29:10 PM

my head just exploded... yesssss. plug the frigging thing in

edit: u should almost feel a click, give it a good push so its solidly in
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:35:59 PM

chugot9218 said:
Ahh, so it came with the PC just loose inside? If I hadn't heard that most pre-builders had horrible support I would call and demand a brand new card or even an upgrade, that is ridiculous.

You can try putting it in if you want, but I would personally not do anything with it as it could be damaged and I would not want them trying to say I did it. If you need info on doing that let us know.
Exactly, it was loose inside. I'm gonna give them a call to see if I can get a replacement or to see if I get permission to open the thing up. I would just open it up, but I don't want it to end up not working and them voiding my warranty for opening it up. I don't think I'm so inept where I need help to give them a call, but you never know as evidenced by this thread. I appreciate all the help guys. Someone can put the "Solved" thing by this thread.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:43:39 PM

Ahh. I feel better now. I was afraid we were on different planets or something. Good luck with your warranty work. If all else fails, it is easy to re-install it. btw, you have to mark best answer before the thread will be closed.

Note: How the heck can a graphic card fall out during shipment? It is clamped by the slot retainer and screwed in besides.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:48:39 PM

I do not know, I am curious if they even removed the slot covers on the rear, according to the information the OP provided I am inclined to think they didn't, but I cannot fathom a tech simply sticking a GPU inside the case and closing it up lol.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:52:44 PM

Good point. But if it was installed, how did the OP not notice the gaping hole in the expansion slot? And if it was installed and the screw is not still in the threaded hole, it may be rattling around inside the case just waiting to short/ground something out.
m
l
October 17, 2012 9:58:00 PM

Right, that's what I am saying, I feel like he would have mentioned the hole if it was there, we were pretty explicit in the description. Clearly this is a problem on Cyberpower's end, I would hope they give the OP reasonable consolation.
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:06:33 PM

Best answer selected by TheImmortalGoud.
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:07:29 PM

If he mentions the discussion about their incompency is on Tom's Hardware site, I'm sure they'll re-consider if they at first say no. ;) 
m
l
October 17, 2012 10:10:15 PM

I just called them up, and I'm gonna ship it back to them. They told me to try to put it back in, but it wouldn't go in. I'm new to the Desktop PC world, so I don't know much about what is supposed to go where. I just assumed the hole was supposed to be there.
m
l
October 17, 2012 11:47:23 PM

This Is by far the most intresting thread I've ever read

In my opinion pc custom prebuilding websites should not be trusted with your hardware and not have the guts to back up the warranty
m
l
!