Sign in with
Your question

Can you use two 56k modems to network two computers?

Tags:
  • Phones
  • Computers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
November 27, 2011 3:53:30 PM

I'm tring to network two computers over 1and 1/2miles to monitor an ip camera. There are two phone lines available to me that are not being used between buildings...I've tried serial comm with rs232 adapters/repeaters but can't transfer files, seems these adapter are for running devices and not file transfers. Phone lines can go many miles and still connect to 56k modems , can't i make a network with these

More about : 56k modems network computers

November 27, 2011 4:45:54 PM

Correction I have 4 lines available
m
l
November 27, 2011 7:34:21 PM

What type of RS232 adapter? What software did you use to connect the PCs?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 28, 2011 2:13:40 AM

You can't just use RS232 alone. That only establishes a low-level communications link. It doesn't create a network, specifically TCP/IP. You need to use RAS (remote access services) on the remote system to establish something the other system can dial into, then use RAS as a client on the other system to dial into it. RAS will use serial communications as the link layer and establish your network w/ TCP/IP over it.

It's very similar to establishing a VPN, where you need the VPN server on one end, the VPN client on the other, then your secure network runs over it. In fact, the Microsoft PPTP VPN also uses RAS for these purposes. The only difference here is that you're using the serial communications of a modem as your link.

Years ago, before the internet became the backbone for remote access, that’s exactly how ppl would provide remote access, via phone lines, so you’re simply resorting to tried and tested, old school techniques.
m
l
December 5, 2011 1:23:44 PM

comm-front adapters rs-232 isolated repeater. Will I need to make two connections on network ??one where I'm host and the other where I'm the guest. I have established a connection and both PC's are showing the connection@297 Kbps, however it doesn't show up on my network places. I'm old enough to remember using ras-232 ic to operat a remote printer....you know with the grn/wht paper ...dot matrix I believe. Don't remember file transfers at all. Of course the key punch cards all together is a file, that's "IF" you don't have a syntax error. I don't miss the old daze.
m
l
December 5, 2011 1:30:57 PM

eibgrad said:
You can't just use RS232 alone. That only establishes a low-level communications link. It doesn't create a network, specifically TCP/IP. You need to use RAS (remote access services) on the remote system to establish something the other system can dial into, then use RAS as a client on the other system to dial into it. RAS will use serial communications as the link layer and establish your network w/ TCP/IP over it.

It's very similar to establishing a VPN, where you need the VPN server on one end, the VPN client on the other, then your secure network runs over it. In fact, the Microsoft PPTP VPN also uses RAS for these purposes. The only difference here is that you're using the serial communications of a modem as your link.

Years ago, before the internet became the backbone for remote access, that’s exactly how ppl would provide remote access, via phone lines, so you’re simply resorting to tried and tested, old school techniques.

you sort of hit the nail on the head, however the pc shows tcp/ip to be working but not the file-sharing, I've never dealt with peer to peer vpn's...don't get pissed but please expond on you explaination, I appreciate it.
m
l
!