STOP error 0x7B while installing Windows XP

Hi,

I recently purchased a few computer components to build a new PC with and
proceeded to install Windows XP, or should I say I tried but it fails at the
beginning of the Setup phase with the error, 'STOP: 0x0000007B, (more
numbers), (0x000...), (0x000...).

I've been to the MS KB site and it mentions all manner of problems from
device driver conflicts/corruption to a possible virus infection.

Has anyone out there experienced similar problems to this? What did you do
to get around the problem?

My setup is as follows:-

Abit AN7 uGURU motherboard
120 GB SATA HDD (Samsung)
ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB graphics
TDK CD Burner
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333 FSB)
256 MB DDR RAM (PC2100, 266MHz)

My system won't boot from the Windows XP CD so I made an XP boot disc but
the same problem occurs at the same place ie during the setup phase shortly
after you are prompted to press F6 for installing a SCSI or RAID driver
disc. I tried pressing F5 at this stage to choose the ACPI PC option to no
avail.

Same problem occurs if I try the Upgrade or New Installation after
installing Windows ME (which is running just fine by the way).

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Nick
London

Why your new PC won't boot off a CD?
Is your BIOS too old, or you have no bootable CD?
--PA