Sign in with
Your question

Building a new pc for gaming - Advice

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2012 4:55:36 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here so sorry in advance for any mistake I may make :) 

Now that I got a job and started saving some money, I'm looking to build a myself a pc. Right now I'm using a dv6 HP laptop which I bought three years ago mainly for university stuff since it gave me the advantage of bringing my laptop with me and doing my assignments everywhere in my campus.
However, it's not a gaming laptop but I was lucky it could play games like AC1 to AC2 revelations, PES 2013 or portal 2. As expected, it definitely cannot handle recent high-end games. My new pc will be mostly for high-end gaming, watching 1080p movies, music, photoshop stuffs and fast multitasking.
Here are some of the games that I want to play:
- Assassin's Creed 3
- Far Cry 3
- Hitman Absolution
- Crysis 2 & 3
- Battlefield 3
- Max Payne 3
- The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings
- Batman Arkham City
- Sleeping dogs
- Dishonored
- Black Ops 2
- Skyrim (got only around 13 Fps on my laptop :pfff:  but was finished the game)
- GTA IV (and may be GTA V when it comes to pc)
- Bioshock Infinite
- Etc...

Anyway enough rambling and here are the specs that I want for my new pc:-

- Intel Core i5-3570k
- 8 Gb of RAM
- Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
- EVGA Geforce Gtx 680 (2048MB GDDR5)
- Boot drive of 64 GB SSD (may be)
- Storage drive of 750 GB or 1 TB (will have to look for the brand)
- Power supply of around 650W (not sure which brand to choose again)
- PC Casing (Again, will have to look for a good tower casing)
- Optical drive (average drive which will allow me to burn and read disk, don't really need bluray)
- LED pc monitor

So here are the specs that I'm thinking of.
Any advice or thoughts on the specs? whether they go well together or may be some of the pc parts are not worth it? or may be there's a better alternative to a pc part which may be better and cost less? Any thoughts and advice are welcome :) 

More about : building gaming advice

a b 4 Gaming
December 7, 2012 5:47:34 PM

Well... since i don't know how much this PC will cost you exactly i'll just build you a new one that will perform a lot better and hopefully cost the same money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG IPS231B-BN 23.0" Monitor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1705.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-07 14:41 EST-0500)

This PC, compared to the one you configured is much better suited for gaming.
It uses two overclocked GTX 670 cards which together are much more powerfull than a single GTX 680.
This PC has the potential to deliver up to double the FPS to the PC above and in the worst case scenatio it will lag behind by around 3%.

The motherboard it uses will slightly limit overclocking compared to the ASUS board but the difference will be no more than 2% which will not be noticable.

I included a high capacity, faster than avarage SSD which im sure will prove usefull in the future.
I also included a very reliable hard drive made by WD.It isn't the fastest but its among the quietest.
The case the PC uses is the Antec Three Hundred Two which has excellent cooling performance and build quality.
The power supply included is also very high quality, has a modular cabling system and packs enough power for the whole system overclocked.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 7, 2012 6:02:29 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
December 8, 2012 11:01:27 AM

Kamen_BG said:
Well... since i don't know how much this PC will cost you exactly i'll just build you a new one that will perform a lot better and hopefully cost the same money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG IPS231B-BN 23.0" Monitor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1705.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-07 14:41 EST-0500)

This PC, compared to the one you configured is much better suited for gaming.
It uses two overclocked GTX 670 cards which together are much more powerfull than a single GTX 680.
This PC has the potential to deliver up to double the FPS to the PC above and in the worst case scenatio it will lag behind by around 3%.

The motherboard it uses will slightly limit overclocking compared to the ASUS board but the difference will be no more than 2% which will not be noticable.

I included a high capacity, faster than avarage SSD which im sure will prove usefull in the future.
I also included a very reliable hard drive made by WD.It isn't the fastest but its among the quietest.
The case the PC uses is the Antec Three Hundred Two which has excellent cooling performance and build quality.
The power supply included is also very high quality, has a modular cabling system and packs enough power for the whole system overclocked.

First of all, thanks a lot for the quick and elaborate comment/advise. Since I'm new on tomshardware, I was expecting small advices but you really surprised me with your advice.
My overall budget for this new pc without the monitor and keyboard is around $ 1,500.
Nice thought for the CPU Cooler, I will definitely consider it.
However, aren't the two overclocked Gtx 670 cards a bit over the top? It's true that my new pc set up will be for high-end gaming but I'm intending to only play with 1 monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 or may be 2560x1600. I'm not really planning to use the 3d vision too and as long as I can play the abovementioned games without any stuttering and a good fps of 50 to 60+ I'm will be happy. I'm aware though that previous GPU to the 680 can do those things but I want to buy a good GPU that will be able to last for some years without any upgrade. Any thoughts on that?
It may be a dumb question but concerning the two Hard Drives you added (with the Samsung SSD as the main C drive and the 2TB one as a secondary drive for movies, music and other download storage), can I still install games and programs on the 2nd 2TB Hard drive and play them or will the 2TB hard drive be only available as a storage drive?
Thanks a lot again for your elaborate answer and I look forward to hearing your comments again :) 
m
l
!