Sign in with
Your question

Capture card out on external device

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2012 10:33:49 PM

I want record my PC screen on separate device (to avoid CPU usage - this is non negotiable issue). I understand that simplest way is to replace my graphic card with one with video out and connect it a video recording device (like a camcorder for example).

My problem however is that my main screen is realbig and 4 hours of recording a day will create around 140 Gb. it will be real pain to handle this kind of data every day.

I need some simple and feasible solution as it is not a commercial project.

Is there a way to record part of the screen to reduce file size (but not using the main CPU - so things like camtasia are no go)?
October 17, 2012 10:40:50 PM

maxima120 said:
I want record my PC screen on separate device (to avoid CPU usage - this is non negotiable issue). I understand that simplest way is to replace my graphic card with one with video out and connect it a video recording device (like a camcorder for example).

My problem however is that my main screen is realbig and 4 hours of recording a day will create around 140 Gb. it will be real pain to handle this kind of data every day.

I need some simple and feasible solution as it is not a commercial project.

Is there a way to record part of the screen to reduce file size (but not using the main CPU - so things like camtasia are no go)?

what are you using to record and what graphics cards do you have?
October 17, 2012 10:44:58 PM

I havent done anything yet. I just need to find out if this can be done in given budget. If I will need I'd replace my card. I have 2 simple nvidia cards with passive cooler and 2 dvi each (i run 3 monitors but i need to record just one)
October 18, 2012 8:29:32 AM

I have 2 x GeForce 8600 GT
!