Replacing half the guts in old rig, need reassuranc they will work

Epicman

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Made a previous post. Didn't go anywhere really. Did lots more research and looking around and really number crunched to see what I can afford. And here is what I want to buy.

THE CURRENT SPECS - Numbers 1-3 are what I am wanting to replace, and number 4-6 are staying in the rig (hopefully):

1-AMD Athlon 64 3200 Single core processor
2-Gigabyte K8 Triton K8t890 Mobo
3-2 gigs of ram
4-Dynex Dx400wps PSU
5-WDC WD1600JS 160g HDDs x2
6-Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT video card

WHAT I WANT TO BUY FOR UPGRADES:

1-AMD FX-6300
2-Gigabyte Mobo
3-Really any compatible ram. It can't be more than 40$ though.

I just need to make sure these things are compatible with each other and what will stay in my rig, and if I am getting a good deal for the money.

Please don't tell me I should replace everything else as well because it sucks, or because it isn't as good "x" product, or to buy something else because it is your favorite brand or because you hate AMD, etc. etc.

Of course, if I could, I would replace the entire thing with high-end products, and eventually that may happen. But for now, it simply isn't an option. I can only afford to upgrade what needs it the most, which happens to be the core components; And my budget is maxed at what I already have picked out...so any part suggestions that are a better use of my money can't be more than what I have listed.

I just need to know if it will all work together and if I am getting the most for my money, and possibly a suggestion for ram. :)

I see no reason why your picks would not work.
For the ram,
You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.
For a AMD cpu, buy the fastest ram you can since performance is sensitive to ram speed.

What will this pc be mainly used for?
If video editing using a multi threaded app, then the FX-6100 will be good. and lots of ram is preferred.
If it is for gaming, as the 9500GT indicates, then you can do better with an intel cpu.
Games rarely use more than 2-3 cores, and the faster the cores the better. The extra cores on the FX-6100 are nog much use.
And... The Intel cores are some 30% faster on a clock for clock basis.
Here is an older article on <$200 gaming cpu's.
See if it applies to you. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html

With your $220 budget, I think you would do much better with a $120 i3-3220 cpu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775
An inexpensive socket 1155 motherboard. I have been pleased with ECS before, and this one comes dirt cheap $30 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135288
Add 8gb(2 x 4gb) of ddr3 1333 ram for $34:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422
If you are using a 32 bit os, back off to 4gb.
sandy and ivy bridge cpu chips are not sensitive to ram speeds. You are looking at 2% difference in real app performance gain with the fastest ram.
That will leave you some of your budget left over.

You will get some negative comments on your Dynex psu. It is a tier 5(not recommended, replace asap) unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Since it has been working for you, I see no urgent need to replace it unless you want a much stronger graphics card.

Epicman

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Oh man this is just what I was looking for! Thanks so much! I will make sure to research into documented ram and get the best I can afford for the best CPU performance. Also the PSU is the very next thing I planned on replacing, though I have no idea when that will be, it is next on the list; with a new HDD, or a nice cooling system coming after that.

What will this pc be mainly used for?

It will actually be used for a bit of both, with more focus on multi-thread usage in the near future. In my first thread I made I went into lots more detail but it turned it into a wall of text. As of now the only comp games I play regularly are WoW and Minecraft with a mix of Indie Games throw in. I am also a console gamer so I tend to stick to console for major releases and PC for MMOs/Indie games.

For a about 4 months last year I tried to teach myself media editing like PS and Final Cut. Believe it or not, my rig was able to "do" it, although frustratingly slow and wildly unreliable. I eventually gave up because I got tired of the programs freezing, time frames skipping, rendering taking forever, videos being out of sync after being rendered, being unable to watch a guide and edit at the same time and just a slew of other nit picky problems that added up to me wanting to pull my hair out.

So for now what I want it to accomplish is:
1) To be able to play WoW without it skipping/freezing while doing anything involving more than 20 players in my immediate vicinity, even on all low settings. (which, if you aren't familiar with WoW, that cuts out like half the game for me.)

2) Minecraft to be able to handle fancy graphics and nice shaders without looking like I'm playing it staring through a ceiling fan

3) perhaps play one or two major releases in the near future

4) Able to do heavy multi-tasking such as recording gameplay while gaming, having FF open with multiple platform/tab usage such as streams/guides/youtube/FB/etc, talking in vent/skype, etc

5) Edit and render media

So from what I am gathering, what I have picked out would be "better" for what I need it to do for now, so long as I get the best RAM I can afford. Correct?

The problem with a 6 core cpu is keeping it full of 6 tasks to dispatch.
Usually, you do much better with fewer faster cores.

Regardless, you will no longer be cpu bound with whichever cpu you pick. The athlon 3200 has a passmark rating of 493.
The i3-3220 which I recommend is 4288.
Yes, the FX-6300 is 6260, but that is with all 6 cores in use, a relatively rare occurence.

For multitasking, you need sufficient ram to hold all of the tasks in ram without interference.
8gb should be plenty for that.

For games that are graphics intensive, you will need a strong graphics card. The 9500GT will not do it.
That, in turn means a stronger psu to power it.

And... put a ssd on your performance upgrade wish list. It really makes everything you do faster.

Epicman

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
So much to take in!

So if I plan for media editing and rendering to be the preferential activity here, wouldn't more than a dual core be preferential?

I realize the tech behind the dual core is better, but isn't that extra 4 cores at a higher GHz going to come in handy more than the faster tech behind the dualcore when it comes to those multi-thread apps? Especially if I also were to have FF open watching guides and/or a media player open playing music, or even AFK'ing in WoW open in the background.

And yes I do realize my graphics card isn't top of the line. But it only needs to handle WoW and Minecraft for the most part, which I think it can do. As for other games, I don't mind the graphics not being super duper shiny, and like I said I tend to go to the 360 for a major release anyhow. Really, I just need the rig to handle games when it comes to the CPU and ram not lagging it up, I can deal with having to settle for so-so graphic settings on the graphic intensive games.

Speaking of graphics, would an APU such as the AMD A10 or the like put out better graphics than my card? Should I consider of the those APUs over a CPU instead for that reason, or am I better off getting a CPU and keeping my GPU card?

And... put a ssd on your performance upgrade wish list. It really makes everything you do faster.

Definitely. I am just glad my HDDs hook up with sata for now. :heink: Newer hard drives, a powerful PSU with safety features, and a nice cooling system..perhaps a water system..are next in line on my wishlist.

I really do appreciate all the help man and I am sorry I keep hounding you with questions. But this is the first time I've done extensive work on my tower and I don't want to mess it up in the purchasing, or the actual install.