Tyan Thunder K7 760MP

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Preorder now for the low price of $959.00. OUCH!!!!
<A HREF="http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20010317/etc_thunderk7.html" target="_new">http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20010317/etc_thunderk7.html</A>

G

as wusy pointed out that is a server mobo, a normal 760mp should be around the corner.

G

$959.00 US? Darn!

That is basically the same MB as their dual PIII accessory-wise (i.e. dual NIC's, Onboard SCSI, etc.) but their top-of-the-line dual PIII board is down to $600, which I <i>thought</i> was expensive.

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know if cheap SMP boards for the Athlon are right around the corner. I think it'll be quite some time. Even though this board has features found on PIII boards, it's going to cost manufactures more money to make SMP boards for Athlons than PIII's. The Tyan board, if I'm not mistaken, is eight layers. There are a lot more traces for the point-to-point connections than PIII boards, and I'm sure all the other components are a lot beefier than PIII boards too. Compared to the cost of an Alpha board it's a bargain though. :)

G

The Tyan board, if I'm not mistaken, is eight layers.

Yes, you're right, that will make it more expensive.

and I'm sure all the other components are a lot beefier than PIII boards too

I don't think so. I think that the other components on the board are nearly the same as on their dual PIII Thunder i840 board (dual Intel NIC, dual Adaptec SCSI which is the big ticket item, etc.).

G

I didn't say cheap boards. They will have less features like 32bit pci instead of the 64bit, stuff like that. I'm guessing they will come in around $400.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's too bad for you puppies, Tyan unlike AMD will not devaule their sh!t just to capture a market.

it's great to pick and choose from several mb manf'rs, pricing all about the same-let the best one win the market.

hardware should usually devalue normally like all products should.

-the power of supply and demand.
just my opinion.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

Ah, sorry nikko. Didn't think about that type of thing. I always expected that the power components on a motherboard might cost $15 in actual cost, whereas things like the onboard SCSI are "negotiated" by name brand able to hike up the price to what the consumer will pay.

As to:
Tyan unlike AMD will not devaule their sh!t just to capture a market
but it will probably come down a few hundred $ once it goes mainstream. Their i840 came down from $740 to $540 in the time I was watching it, which started after it was already released.