Sign in with
Your question

Video Editing PC - Please Review

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2012 12:06:56 AM

Hi,

Looking to get a home-video editing PC w/o paying for more than I need (want to be able to upgrade). I've never built a PC before. Here's a PC based on some research; is it 'overkill'? I just want a 'good' video editing experience (meaning, no long delays). I'll put Win 7 Pro on it. Note: need a firewire. I'm probably going to use Adobe Premiere Elements.

• Case: COOLER MASTER, HAF 932 Advanced (RC-932-KKN5-GP) Click here
  • Boot Drive: WESTERN DIGITAL, 1TB WD VelociRaptor Click here
  • Power Supply: CORSAIR, CMPSU-750HX HX Series Power Supply 750WClick here
  • CPU: INTEL, Core i7-3930K Click here
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE, GA-X79-UD5, LGA2011, Intel® X79, DDR3-2133 Click here
  • Video Card: EVGA, GeForce® GTX 570 HD (KR) 732MHz Click here
  • Optical Drive: LG ELECTRONICS, WH14NS40 14x/16x/48x BD/DVD/CD Blu-ray Disc Burner Click here
  • Display: ???
  • Memory: CORSAIR, 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance™ Red PC3-17000 DDR3 2133MHz SDRAM DIMM Click here
  • Liquid Cooling: THERMALTAKE, Water2.0 Pro Liquid Cooling SystemClick here
  • Firewire card: ???

Questions:
  • Are there any incompatibilities in the above?
  • Is the main reason to get an SSD drive for faster boot times?
  • If I don't care about fast boot times, should I just get a non-SDD hard drive (10000 RPM?) internal and then a second one as well and split the audio and video? Can I get redundancy with these (e.g. RAID 5) and make the second hard drive an external one?
  • For video storage on hard drive, what should I use? E.g. G-Speed Q Click here
  • Do I really need a fast GPU (video card) for video editing?
  • Can I upgrade the GPU with the above motherboard to GPU NVIDIA Quadro 4000 later on?
  • What are my restrictions (in a general sense) for CPU upgrading with the above configuration?
  • For RAM, always get it in quad kits?

Alternative build1:
    I looked at Video Guys Click here and they have a DIY9 choice - should I just go with this one? Is theirs 'better' than the above? They have the following differences:
  • Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro Click here
  • Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8x 4GB) 1600
  • Boot Drive: Crucial M4 512GB SSD Click here

Alternative 'build' 2:
    Or ... should I just forget about Windows-based machines and buy an iMac?

Thanks,
    Bill
  • More about : video editing review

December 8, 2012 2:01:20 AM

Screw iMac.

Uhm, I recomend the SSD.

The 570 should be good.

Keep the Corsair Vengance RAM.

Are there any incompatibilities in the above?

Nope

Is the main reason to get an SSD drive for faster boot times?

Faster app loading. Faster retrieval of software tools

If I don't care about fast boot times, should I just get a non-SDD hard drive (10000 RPM?) internal and then a second one as well and split the audio and video? Can I get redundancy with these (e.g. RAID 5) and make the second hard drive an external one?
    For video storage on hard drive, what should I use? E.g. G-Speed Q Click here

Raid would cost about teh same as an SSD, plus, RAID can lose data in speed modes, while SSDs are more stable. Plus, you will want to load software on SSDs.

Do I really need a fast GPU (video card) for video editing?

The CUDA cores on a high end GPU will excelerate editing.

Can I upgrade the GPU with the above motherboard to GPU NVIDIA Quadro 4000 later on?

Yep.

What are my restrictions (in a general sense) for CPU upgrading with the above configuration?

Very expensive, or if you want to shell out a few more bucks on top of your cureent processor, Xeon is an option.

For RAM, always get it in quad kits?

Dual or Quad, doesnt matter.

m
    l
    !