Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please help the village Idiot; Upgrading from XP to W7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 26, 2012 5:32:07 PM

Hello,
I managed to fill up a 250GB HD so I installed a 1TB in the spare bay then used the Seagate drive copy utility to migrate the OS and all of my data. Once I made the new drive the 1st boot it became obvious that something was wrong. It boots slower and just doesn't seem as fast overall. Its a faster/newer drive so I can't figure out what's going on. Anyway, after much consideration I have decided to put W7 64 bit on the new drive then move data over to it as needed. There isn't enough room on the old drive to download the upgrade so do I need to buy the upgrade in disk form or can I download and run it from the 1TB drive?

Thanks in advance.
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2012 5:52:43 PM

Hi :) 

There is NO upgrade path from XP to 7, unless you upgrade to Vista then upgrade again to 7...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
February 26, 2012 6:05:56 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

There is NO upgrade path from XP to 7, unless you upgrade to Vista then upgrade again to 7...

All the best Brett :) 

That's not what the OP was asking for...
Score
Related resources
February 26, 2012 6:07:24 PM

I was planning on installing W7 Home Premium Edition downloaded from Microsoft. Question is, can I download it to the 1TB drive I want to install it on? If so, should I format the drive first or will the install do that during install?
Score

Best solution

February 26, 2012 6:52:12 PM

well if i were you, just get a Windows 7 64 bit copy from the store, and reformat your drive. to answer your other question, and correct me if i am wrong (experts) but i believe if you "Installed from microsoft" the whole process, formatting and all would be done. because when you install a new os, unless the drive is partitioned and split in half all old data is gone from that hard drive and a new bootable format is installed.

I am going to school for hardware a+ certification and Computer Programming so no i am not a expert on these sorts of things. but you catch me in the graphics forum, i can handle any question asked.
March 19, 2012 7:58:22 PM

Best answer selected by woody240.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
March 19, 2012 8:47:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!