Sign in with
Your question

New Build Problem Loading Win 7

December 8, 2012 3:26:01 AM

Finished a new build about a week ago and all was well.

ASRock z77 Extreme4
Chronos SSD

Today when I power up I get a message something like No Boot Drive.

After several tries and getting the same message I reseat the connectors to the drive. Same error.

I remove the HD from the old system and connect it to the same cables as the SSD was connected to.

System boots ok.

I remove the old HD.

Install a new HD, same cables thinking I'm going to install Win 7.

Boot with the Win 7 CD. Can not find the new HD just two others that are attached for data and backup.

Now put both the old and new HD on the new system and boot with the old HD.

Fiddle with Disk Management, it recognizes the New HD. Set up a partition on it, showing as Primary.

Back to the Win 7 CD, select the New HD partition but get the following error message

Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing syetem partition. See the Setup log files for more information.

Have no clue about how to see the log info since I'm running Win install.

I've been back and forth between the Old HD fiddling with Disk Management on the New HD then back to the Win install. I wouldn't even want to guess how many times I've been through this, also reading MS notes on installing new HDs on Windows.

The only thing that has happened is that I have even less hair now than before if that's possible.

If anyone can give me a pointer as to what to do next it would be GREATLY appreciated.
!