Enlarging Digital images

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 1, 2005 4:27:30 PM

Some of you with long memories will remember a thread some time ago where
the high ranking poster Alan Browne and myself got into a rather involved
discussion about my algorithm for enlarging digital images. The short of it
was that he said I couldn't do what I do so I sent a couple of enlargements
to Alan and a Photographer of his choice who was Gordon Moat of San Diego.
Gordon was to act as arbitrator in the event Alan decided to post comments I
considered wrong. Except for the odd shot from Alan, he's been surprisingly
quiet on the matter.

Recently Gordon published an article based on his finding from those
enlargements. I'd thought Alan might have posted a reference to it but I
guess this would require him to accept that I was right and in all the time
I've been reading his posts, I don't believe I've ever seen him do such a
thing even though he's been wrong in many situations.

Anyway, since I sent those 24" x 36" enlargements to Alan and Gordon, I have
refined the process further so that I can now enlarge an image from a 10D to
over three feet wide with the same quality as I was getting then at two feet
wide. 20D images will go well in excess of four feet wide and deliver
stunning quality with fine detail. Of course the very problem with showing
the detail in these enlargements on the Internet was what made me send the
prints in the first place. Plenty of geeks got in on the act and told me I
could not do what I can do. One of them went out of his way to demonstrate
he could not do it so I must not be able to either... Yeah, he declined my
offer of some evidence so I guess his ego must have been pretty large too.
They tell me you get that in Norway.

One of the enlarged photographs I sent is shown and described here:
http://users.tpg.com.au/hpc/examples2.htm Even this... So some said, was not
a representative example they could examine in minute detail and pretty much
accused me of fraud. I decided then that the only way for someone to judge
was to see an actual enlargement. The printer I used to make the
enlargements I sent to Alan and Gordon did not do true justice to the prints
but none the less, Gordon was sufficiently impressed to show them around and
the article he wrote is based on those findings. If you'd like to read it,
go here: http://www.allgstudio.com/technology.html

I've now bought a new printer capable of four feet wide printing and the
really good part is it can print on CANVAS as well as all the other
substrates around. I'm still experimenting with the emulsion to coat the
canvas with but so far I've been able to print in fine detail and also with
the look of watercolour painting but maintaining fine detail in many parts
of the image. I can see a large market for photographs printed on canvas and
also for the monster enlargements I can make. Feel free to comment.

Douglas
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:27:31 PM

Douglas wrote:

> Some of you with long memories will remember a thread some time ago where
> the high ranking poster Alan Browne and myself got into a rather involved
> discussion about my algorithm for enlarging digital images. The short of it
> was that he said I couldn't do what I do so I sent a couple of enlargements
> to Alan and a Photographer of his choice who was Gordon Moat of San Diego.
> Gordon was to act as arbitrator in the event Alan decided to post comments I
> considered wrong. Except for the odd shot from Alan, he's been surprisingly
> quiet on the matter.

No. I posted my comments regarding your enlargements. And I stated
quite clearly:

* that they show no more resolution than an 8 MPix camera can provide.

* that they were especially 'clean' and low noise (v. a film based
print). At that there was noise in some areas (shaddows, esp.)

I haven't read Gordon's article yet, but I do look forward to it.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
May 1, 2005 4:27:31 PM

Douglas wrote:

> One of the enlarged photographs I sent is shown and described here:
> http://users.tpg.com.au/hpc/examples2.htm Even this... So some said, was not
> a representative example they could examine in minute detail and pretty much
> accused me of fraud.

I pointed out that the crop shown is a larger area (about twice) than
the rectangle indicating the area of enlargement.

> I decided then that the only way for someone to judge
> was to see an actual enlargement. The printer I used to make the
> enlargements I sent to Alan and Gordon did not do true justice to the prints
> but none the less, Gordon was sufficiently impressed to show them around and
> the article he wrote is based on those findings. If you'd like to read it,
> go here: http://www.allgstudio.com/technology.html

A quick read seems to be saying that when printing at 300dpi, some
detail is lost so it's useful to print larger than that to get every
last bit out of the digital image. I recently made a 60dpi tiled print
and I still can't hardly see individual pixels. It looks great from a
few feet away, stuff you would really strain to see at 300dpi with a
loupe just leaps out at you at this size.

I'm not sure it's necessary to do anything really special when upsizing
though. We have no clue what your method might be, some use
deconvolution & such to increase contrast between pixels for a tad more
sharpening, some resampling methods are slightly better than other &
I've heard of programs that find edges and when upsampling, use those
edges to fill in pixels though I imagine that would create some odd
effects in certain types of textures similar to noise reduction software.
May 1, 2005 4:59:46 PM

Douglas wrote:

> Some of you with long memories will remember a thread some time ago where
> the high ranking poster Alan Browne and myself got into a rather involved
> discussion about my algorithm for enlarging digital images. The short of it
> was that he said I couldn't do what I do so I sent a couple of enlargements
> to Alan and a Photographer of his choice who was Gordon Moat of San Diego.
> Gordon was to act as arbitrator in the event Alan decided to post comments I
> considered wrong. Except for the odd shot from Alan, he's been surprisingly
> quiet on the matter.
>
> Recently Gordon published an article based on his finding from those
> enlargements. I'd thought Alan might have posted a reference to it but I
> guess this would require him to accept that I was right and in all the time
> I've been reading his posts, I don't believe I've ever seen him do such a
> thing even though he's been wrong in many situations.

In the article Gordon states: "... his samples show the potential of
digital prints, though only in controlled post processing and printing
conditions. His results are not easy for just anyone to repeat. Skill,
experience, and very good equipment allow higher limits."

IOW: You managed the 'potential'. Nothing beyond what could physically
be done. But at least you're in the "not easy for just anyone to
repeat" catagory.

In the e-mail he sent, Gordon said that various people who have seen
them say they're "okay". Hardly a blazing endorsement.

Again, on seeing your images and reporting here, I did state that:

* that they show no more resolution than an 8 MPix camera can provide.

* that they were especially 'clean' and low noise (v. a film based
print). At that there was noise in some areas (shaddows, esp.)

> Alan decided to post comments I considered wrong. Except for the odd
> shot from Alan, he's been surprisingly quiet on the matter.

If I've been mute in the meantime it is simply because there is nothing
else to add.

Cheers,
Alan
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
May 1, 2005 6:17:32 PM

"Douglas" <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
prints
> but none the less, Gordon was sufficiently impressed to show them around
and
> the article he wrote is based on those findings. If you'd like to read it,
> go here: http://www.allgstudio.com/technology.html
>
> I've now bought a new printer capable of four feet wide printing and the
> really good part is it can print on CANVAS as well as all the other
> substrates around. I'm still experimenting with the emulsion to coat the
> canvas with but so far I've been able to print in fine detail and also
with
> the look of watercolour painting but maintaining fine detail in many parts
> of the image. I can see a large market for photographs printed on canvas
and
> also for the monster enlargements I can make. Feel free to comment.

Awesome mate! Maybe I can send you some of my shots and you send me 4'
prints back to prove your technology :-)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 6:37:47 PM

Musty wrote:
> [...]
>
> prints
>
>>but none the less, Gordon was sufficiently impressed to show them around
>
> and
>
>>the article he wrote is based on those findings. If you'd like to read it,
>>go here: http://www.allgstudio.com/technology.html
>>
>>I've now bought a new printer capable of four feet wide printing and the
>>really good part is it can print on CANVAS as well as all the other
>>substrates around. I'm still experimenting with the emulsion to coat the
>>canvas with but so far I've been able to print in fine detail and also
>
> with
>
>>the look of watercolour painting but maintaining fine detail in many parts
>>of the image. I can see a large market for photographs printed on canvas
>
> and
>
>>also for the monster enlargements I can make. Feel free to comment.

Is this algorithm in a filter or PS automation that we can download or
purchase?

www.urbanvoyeur.com
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:39:24 PM

My comment is simple.

Huh???

It's an 8Mp camera. Full stop. Even assuming perfect lens, perfect
resolution of detail (and ignoring Nyquisty stuff) - at 36" wide, that
equates to a little under 100 dpi. Any argument?

100 dpi is perfectly fine for the *normal viewing distances* of such a
print. If it is, say, a portrait, or that flower example on the
webpage you posted, it will look very sharp indeed *for it will have
very little detail beyond that 100 dpi*. The example shows nowhere
near enough enlargement to prove the point, and yet it already shows
sharpening halos, jpeg artefacts and pixellation..

ON IMAGES THAT NEED MORE THAN 100 dpi to resolve fine detail, eg a
cityscape where you want to get up close and say 'is that *my* house?',
or read the printing on a sign that is kilometres away, *no enlarging
algorithm can provide extra real detail*.

Many folk won't easily spot the difference between 100 and 300 dpi,
even on a small print, *subject to the image content*. If I got to
choose the images carefully, I bet *no-one* could spot it... But so
what?

I want to see this done on a pin-sharp cityscape, taken from a lookout
on a clear day. Then examine the print at the same viewing distance as
for a 6x4. Game over. And if you claim otherwise, or object to the
close inspection bit, then your claim means nothing.

Yes, clean 8Mp digital files can be blown up to 24x36 and larger, and
many of them will look absolutely stunning. No arguments from me.
I've done it myself using quite normal methodologies. The portraits
and other low-detail images look stunning. But NOT all 8Mp images
will stand it, and highly-detailed images look soft because the
resolution simply isn't there, and nothing can make it appear from thin
air. So if you are into things other than macros, flowers and
portraits... Bzzzt.

So what exactly *are* you claiming? Do you have an algorithm that
invents detail? Or is just another method of enlarging that minimises
pixellation? What else could it be?

I'm with Alan on this one.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:04:08 PM

By the way, I'll be interested to hear Gordon's take on this. You
said:

"Gordon was sufficiently impressed to show them around and
the article he wrote is based on those findings".

The only article I could find is partially quoted below. Perhaps the
reader should make their own judgement, but it sounds to me like he
looked at your images, and that it backs up his opinion, which is mine
too, that:

" if you think that an image holds enough interest in the viewer, then
print it any way, and any size, that you think is appropriate"

Gordon's article reads (and I hope he forgives me for posting this!):
========================= quote
The reality is that if the image is compelling enough, then the
technical details are reduced to a level of almost no importance. In
other words, if you think that an image holds enough interest in the
viewer, then print it any way, and any size, that you think is
appropriate. If you want to know how I came to that conclusion, and
what I investigated, then please continue reading. Also, realize that
no individual is the last word in technology, and all individuals are
likely to maintain some preconceived notions of limits. If all I do is
make you investigate more, or attempt to push past what you thought
were limits, then this article will have been a success.

The initial test prints, and information, came from a company called
Techno Aussie. Two example prints were sent to me from Australia by
Douglas MacDonald. Included was a short explanation of camera gear
used, and the printer used. Techno Aussie use a proprietary upsizing
algorithm to take small image files, and match them closer to larger
printed output sizes. The printer used for the images is an AGFA
Sherpa, which is quite a good system, though not the latest in
technology. The cameras used to originate the files for the test images
were the Canon 10D and Canon 20D. The algorithm he developed and used
pushed the files from 8 MP to around 50 MP (approx. printed output),
and due to commercial reasons the specific aspects of the algorithm are
not available.

One thing that needs to be considered is that upsizing any image will
never add information to the original file. What first happened in the
camera becomes the limit of detail, regardless of post processing, or
algorithms. As we will see, these parameters are not as great a limit
as one might think. The dot gain of commercial inkjet systems is still
high enough that extremely fine detail is difficult to print, unlike
some commercial press systems. We need to understand these limits in
order to relate them to the original images......
========================= endquote

That is from:
http://www.allgstudio.com/technology.html

There is no further reference to the prints that I could find. Correct
me if I'm wrong..!
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:55:08 PM

Douglas <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I can see a large market for photographs printed on canvas and also for
> the monster enlargements I can make. Feel free to comment.

I have no particular interest in the argument, except the one obvious
question: where is your web site where we can upload our files and give
you our credit card number and have you make prints for us? I mean, if
your stuff really is that good, isn't that where the market is?

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

(yes, me again!)

.... Aha! I knew the name rang a bell!! It's that Ryadia person.

Douglas, isn't it time *you* answered the challenge on this page? (It
is worth a visit if anyone is interested in this enlargement algorithm
stuff.)

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/interpolation.html

That would put an end to it. Your algorithm against the other major
contenders (some of which are free, I might add). If you have a
problem with that (personally, I think the examples on that page are an
ideal test), please tell us what the problem actually is.

I notice that in the past, you have claimed enlargement of 1000% is
possible with `no loss of disernable (sic) detail`. That's a 10x
enlargement, folks... I'm afraid this all puts your credibility, and
eyesight, in a different light..
May 2, 2005 1:54:32 AM

"Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
> Douglas <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can see a large market for photographs printed on canvas and also for
>> the monster enlargements I can make. Feel free to comment.
>
> I have no particular interest in the argument, except the one obvious
> question: where is your web site where we can upload our files and give
> you our credit card number and have you make prints for us? I mean, if
> your stuff really is that good, isn't that where the market is?
>
> --
> Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com

Interesting comment Jeremy.
I developed this technology along with some other stuff for Techno Aussie
digital print centres in Australia. I had never considered anyone like
yourself would volunteer their credit cards over the Internet without
actually being able to stand in front of my enlargements and choose which
size suits.

There are unfortunately some very real technical problems associated with
accepting files willy nilly and expecting they will all enlarge to my idea
of quality control. People with 6 Mp P&S cameras think they can expect the
same results as from a 1D MkII but as you and I both know, there is no way
of compensating for the magnified errors enlarging any picture taken with a
junk lens will produce... on a production basis.

For now, the only way you can have an enlargement over about A3 or A2 in
size is if I OK the image for enlargement. I really can't see wide spread
examination of uploaded images and then request for payment, working in a
busy environment. So for the foreseeable future, only walking into one of my
print centres will get you a print.

In any event, I am about to sell the patents and only retain Australian
rights to use the process. The rest of the world will indeed get the
technology but in a way many purest photographers might find offensive! I
guess when digital arrived many purest Photographers got offended too. Such
is progress. I still have 2 or 3 samples I can post out. Email me your
address if you want one, Jeremy.

Douglas
May 2, 2005 1:59:33 AM

> In the article Gordon states: "... his samples show the potential of
> digital prints, though only in controlled post processing and printing
> conditions. His results are not easy for just anyone to repeat. Skill,
> experience, and very good equipment allow higher limits."
>
> IOW: You managed the 'potential'. Nothing beyond what could physically be
> done. But at least you're in the "not easy for just anyone to repeat"
> catagory.
>
> In the e-mail he sent, Gordon said that various people who have seen them
> say they're "okay". Hardly a blazing endorsement.
>
> Again, on seeing your images and reporting here, I did state that:
>
> * that they show no more resolution than an 8 MPix camera can provide.

SO run off a 24" wide print from your Minolta for me Alan.
I'll send you the postage cost via paypal and add some for the print cost
and see if you can make such a print yourself. Yse the postal tube I sent
you the pics in.You know where to send it.

You're as bad a Gisle with your ego Alan.

Douglas
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:59:34 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:59:33 GMT, "Douglas" <decipleofeos@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>SO run off a 24" wide print from your Minolta for me Alan.
>I'll send you the postage cost via paypal and add some for the print cost
>and see if you can make such a print yourself. Yse the postal tube I sent
>you the pics in.You know where to send it.
>
>You're as bad a Gisle with your ego Alan.

You know, I have no problem with the idea that you have developed a
printing process to make large prints from digital files. You're not
the first and certainly not the last. I think what sticks in my craw
and probably provides a bit of discomfort for you is the size of the
chip on your shoulder. What's your major malfunction, man? It's time
to update the killfilter again...looks like you've changed your handle
one more time.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:05:38 AM

Douglas <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I developed this technology along with some other stuff for Techno Aussie
> digital print centres in Australia. I had never considered anyone like
> yourself would volunteer their credit cards over the Internet without
> actually being able to stand in front of my enlargements and choose which
> size suits.

I buy everything on the Internet. Well, except groceries and gasoline. :)

When you talk about the quality of your results, it all sounds very nice,
and in that case, I might be willing to "risk" paying for one to see if
they are better than my usual place. I mean, depending on the price, of
course. I've tried several labs by just giving them a few pictures to
print.

> There are unfortunately some very real technical problems associated with
> accepting files willy nilly and expecting they will all enlarge to my idea
> of quality control.

Yeah, that does make sense.

> For now, the only way you can have an enlargement over about A3 or A2 in
> size is if I OK the image for enlargement. I really can't see wide spread
> examination of uploaded images and then request for payment, working in a
> busy environment. So for the foreseeable future, only walking into one of my
> print centres will get you a print.

Understood. Unfortunately, Australia is a bit of a long drive from New
Jersey. :)

> I still have 2 or 3 samples I can post out. Email me your address if you
> want one, Jeremy.

Well, the thing is, a sample doesn't tell me how *my* stuff would work out,
for the same reasons you mention above. And since I have no interest in
proving anything about your process, you should save your samples for those
who do. :)  Thanks.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
May 2, 2005 2:15:39 AM

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > In the article Gordon states: "... his samples show the potential of
> > digital prints, though only in controlled post processing and printing
> > conditions. His results are not easy for just anyone to repeat. Skill,
> > experience, and very good equipment allow higher limits."
> >
> > IOW: You managed the 'potential'. Nothing beyond what could physically
be
> > done. But at least you're in the "not easy for just anyone to repeat"
> > catagory.
> >
> > In the e-mail he sent, Gordon said that various people who have seen
them
> > say they're "okay". Hardly a blazing endorsement.
> >
> > Again, on seeing your images and reporting here, I did state that:
> >
> > * that they show no more resolution than an 8 MPix camera can
provide.

> SO run off a 24" wide print from your Minolta for me Alan.
> I'll send you the postage cost via paypal and add some for the print cost
> and see if you can make such a print yourself. Yse the postal tube I sent
> you the pics in.You know where to send it.
>
> You're as bad a Gisle with your ego Alan.
>
> Douglas

I think he might be French Canadian ;-P
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:08:02 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 12:27:30 GMT, "Douglas" <decipleofeos@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Rings a bell...
I have long been intigued with the notion of doing "custom" artwork
for home renovators; particularly colored to match the decor vice
getting a motif because it matches. It's a good idea in my book. As
I recall..was it you who was looking for ways to print on canvas.
Coating seemed the ticket and it would be interesting to learn
what your deliberations yeild you. Keep us posted.

A question regarding your enlargement techniques...math as you say.
(there was a forgotten "s" named master from india who developed
fractal math...) How does this stack up to the results of "Genuine
Fractal" ".stn" file enlargement? They tout being able to effect some
pretty impressive results. Have you used that product and compared?
Just curious. I find the 4' printer (machine) part the daunting thing.

good luck, rgds
Ken
May 2, 2005 9:43:31 AM

"UrbanVoyeur" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

> Is this algorithm in a filter or PS automation that we can download or
> purchase?
>
> www.urbanvoyeur.com

Sorry J. It's not for sale as a package you can buy. It comes as a
franchise.

Douglas
May 2, 2005 9:43:32 AM

"McLeod" <cerveza@xplornet.com> wrote in message

> You know, I have no problem with the idea that you have developed a
> printing process to make large prints from digital files. You're not
> the first and certainly not the last. I think what sticks in my craw
> and probably provides a bit of discomfort for you is the size of the
> chip on your shoulder. What's your major malfunction, man? It's time
> to update the killfilter again...looks like you've changed your handle
> one more time.

Ah yes...
McLeod... How did my killfile escape you?
The chip you refer to is added to on a regular basis by people like you.
So let's kill each other in a pact to rid each other of each other. No one
forced you to read my messages. I don't believe I've ever replied to one of
yours so you'll miss nothing by ignoring me... According to you.

Douglas
May 2, 2005 9:58:01 AM

"Ken Ellis" <kenellis@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 12:27:30 GMT, "Douglas" <decipleofeos@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Rings a bell...
> I have long been intigued with the notion of doing "custom" artwork
> for home renovators; particularly colored to match the decor vice
> getting a motif because it matches. It's a good idea in my book. As
> I recall..was it you who was looking for ways to print on canvas.
> Coating seemed the ticket and it would be interesting to learn
> what your deliberations yeild you. Keep us posted.
>
> A question regarding your enlargement techniques...math as you say.
> (there was a forgotten "s" named master from india who developed
> fractal math...) How does this stack up to the results of "Genuine
> Fractal" ".stn" file enlargement? They tout being able to effect some
> pretty impressive results. Have you used that product and compared?
> Just curious. I find the 4' printer (machine) part the daunting thing.
>

> good luck, rgds
> Ken

Genuine Fractals is indeed a very good program. The method they use is very
similar to mine except I convert much of the picture to vector before
enlarging so the bitmap information which is relatively to predict near
duplicates from, has no great influence on sharpness. The sort of pictures I
have the most difficulty with are where there are large amounts of similar
colours like in leaves or a shot of detailed grass.

Chrlz's suggestion about cityscapes cracks me up. They lend themselves to
extreme enlargement due to the density of straight lines in buildings.

I have never sought information on the groups for canvas printing
technology. I recently hired a Chemist to develop a coating for me. The
results are impressive. Obviously he had a clue in the first place because
all his formulations are entirely predictable in how they behave. He is
presently attempting to refine his formula so it will have very close colour
to known paper types.

The canvas sheets I presently have being coated and intend to sell in A3
size are very close to Epson Heavy weight Matte in their colour
reproduction. I have a few details to iron out before marketing the stuff
but it's close.

Douglas
May 2, 2005 10:31:14 AM

"Chrlz" <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> (yes, me again!)
>
> ... Aha! I knew the name rang a bell!! It's that Ryadia person.
>
> Douglas, isn't it time *you* answered the challenge on this page? (It
> is worth a visit if anyone is interested in this enlargement algorithm
> stuff.)
>
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/interpolation.html
>
> That would put an end to it. Your algorithm against the other major
> contenders (some of which are free, I might add). If you have a
> problem with that (personally, I think the examples on that page are an
> ideal test), please tell us what the problem actually is.
>
> I notice that in the past, you have claimed enlargement of 1000% is
> possible with `no loss of disernable (sic) detail`. That's a 10x
> enlargement, folks... I'm afraid this all puts your credibility, and
> eyesight, in a different light..

So tell me Chrlz...
Are you always so willing to shoot from the hip?
The real danger in doing that is that you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

FYI, I offered Gisle the opportunity to have a set of demonstration prints
(at my expense) and pass public judgment on them and he refused. Claimed he
wasn't qualified to pass judgment on them. Fair enough. He is after all an
amature. All your prodding will do is make you look stupid in the end but
then it wouldn't be the first time you changed your name, would it?.

Neither you or anyone else is likely to find anytime soon that I will
provide trade secrets my print centres profit from just so you (or he) can
play around on a hobby blog with them. He had the first hand chance to see
my claim is indeed correct and declined. Not much more to say on the matter
from this end. Feel free to keep using the "free" and "major" contenders all
you like. My process is not now nor has it ever been for sale as software.
Where ever you or he got the idea it was, is beyond me. The process is part
of a franchised digital print centre.
Douglas
May 2, 2005 10:31:14 AM

"Chrlz" <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> (yes, me again!)
>
> ... Aha! I knew the name rang a bell!! It's that Ryadia person.
>
> Douglas, isn't it time *you* answered the challenge on this page? (It
> is worth a visit if anyone is interested in this enlargement algorithm
> stuff.)
>
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/interpolation.html
>
> That would put an end to it. Your algorithm against the other major
> contenders (some of which are free, I might add). If you have a
> problem with that (personally, I think the examples on that page are an
> ideal test), please tell us what the problem actually is.
>
> I notice that in the past, you have claimed enlargement of 1000% is
> possible with `no loss of disernable (sic) detail`. That's a 10x
> enlargement, folks... I'm afraid this all puts your credibility, and
> eyesight, in a different light..

So tell me Chrlz...
Are you always so willing to shoot from the hip?
The real danger in doing that is that you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

FYI, I offered Gisle the opportunity to have a set of demonstration prints
(at my expense) and pass public judgment on them and he refused. Claimed he
wasn't qualified to pass judgment on them. Fair enough. He is after all an
amature. All your prodding will do is make you look stupid in the end but
then it wouldn't be the first time you changed your name, would it?.

Neither you or anyone else is likely to find anytime soon that I will
provide trade secrets my print centres profit from just so you (or he) can
play around on a hobby blog with them. He had the first hand chance to see
my claim is indeed correct and declined. Not much more to say on the matter
from this end. Feel free to keep using the "free" and "major" contenders all
you like. My process is not now nor has it ever been for sale as software.
Where ever you or he got the idea it was, is beyond me. The process is part
of a franchised digital print centre.
Douglas
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:10:36 PM

Douglas wrote:

> SO run off a 24" wide print from your Minolta for me Alan.
> I'll send you the postage cost via paypal and add some for the print cost
> and see if you can make such a print yourself. Yse the postal tube I sent
> you the pics in.You know where to send it.

No need to. I don't intend to print at that size. ( Actually I printed
a 24 x 36 last week ... but a mosaic of many images, each well within
the res of the camera ).

I will probably be doing some prints at up to 24x16, from the camera
with interpolation, but that's as far as I would take it. And no, I
won't be mailing any to you. Maybe a clip of a high detail area printed
on my little epson.

> You're as bad a Gisle with your ego Alan.

Take a hard read at everything you've been posting, Dougie. Your ego
isn't exactly attenuated.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:12:30 PM

Douglas wrote:

> SO run off a 24" wide print from your Minolta for me Alan.

And by the way, while I know you like to senselessly beat up on Minolta,
your "patented" print prep technique should be viable for any digital
camera system, n'est pas?

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:25:32 PM

Chrlz wrote:

> So what exactly *are* you claiming? Do you have an algorithm that
> invents detail? Or is just another method of enlarging that minimises
> pixellation? What else could it be?
>
> I'm with Alan on this one.

Thank you. However a note in Dougie's defence is appropriate:

What is 'good' about his technique is that is renders smooth detail
without any detail 'jaggies' or undue blur. Everything looks smooth and
clean. Stand back to a 'normal' viewing distance and the prints are
quite nice looking.

Further, the noise level is very low, although there is some blocking up
in the shaddow areas, but this is not very noticeable at normal distances.

There is no "invented" detail. Just a very good interpolation (or
whatever it is) that does not create unpleasing artifacts.

As has been said ad nauseum in this and other subjects, we tend to want
to match the capture resolution up to the print-able resolution. When
we're talking about 8 mpix sensors, the limit is relatively small. When
we're talking about prints viewed for the image itself it is less important.

Having said all that, images from a 6x7 chrome printed (Cibachrome) to
similar sizes have much more clean detail than Doug's prints. What I'm
still trying to determine is if a scanned 6x7 chrome can print as well
as Doug's prints but I'm not getting sync'd to the only guy I know who
does this around here.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:43:13 PM

Douglas wrote:

> I have never sought information on the groups for canvas printing
> technology. I recently hired a Chemist to develop a coating for me. The
> results are impressive. Obviously he had a clue in the first place because
> all his formulations are entirely predictable in how they behave. He is
> presently attempting to refine his formula so it will have very close colour
> to known paper types.

The other day at an art supply store there was regular canvas as well as
a coated canvas. The coating felt to me to be latex, but I'm not sure
at all what it was. It was 'white' as close as I could tell in the
attrocious ligthing of the store. This may be cheaper for you than
developing your own coatings.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:47:35 PM

Douglas wrote:

> Where ever you or he got the idea it was, is beyond me. The process is part
> of a franchised digital print centre.

Is the franchise the whole business (a turnkey business) or is the
franchise related to the pring technique itself?

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 6:38:01 PM

"Douglas" <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> ... I guess this would require him to accept that I was right and in all
the time
> I've been reading his posts, I don't believe I've ever seen him do such a
> thing even though he's been wrong in many situations.

Wow, you're kidding right?! When has he ever been wrong?!
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:02:57 PM

In article <SW3de.35983$5F3.16114@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Douglas <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Some of you with long memories will remember a thread some time ago where
>the high ranking poster Alan Browne and myself got into a rather involved
>discussion about my algorithm for enlarging digital images. The short of it
>was that he said I couldn't do what I do so I sent a couple of enlargements
>to Alan and a Photographer of his choice who was Gordon Moat of San Diego.
>Gordon was to act as arbitrator in the event Alan decided to post comments I
>considered wrong. Except for the odd shot from Alan, he's been surprisingly
>quiet on the matter.
>
>Recently Gordon published an article based on his finding from those
>enlargements. I'd thought Alan might have posted a reference to it but I
>guess this would require him to accept that I was right and in all the time
>I've been reading his posts, I don't believe I've ever seen him do such a
>thing even though he's been wrong in many situations.

Can you repeat the exact challenge?

Printing an 8 Mpixel image on 24"x36" at 300 ppi requires a linear
enlargement of 3.1 times. This is certainly within the limits of normal
interpolation algorithms. At 24"x36" you have about 96 original camera pixels
per printed inch. This is within the limits where things look reasonably
sharp.

If the claim is that the prints 'look good' then I doubt that you need magic
interpolation algorithms. Sharp originals and careful sharpening are
much more important.

Of the other hand, if you would claim that the result would look as good as
a carefully printed large format frame, then I would find the claim much
harder to believe.

May 2, 2005 8:52:57 PM

>Chrlz's suggestion about cityscapes cracks me up.

Maybe if you took stuff seriously and thought about it.. As you would
noticed if you actually read the posting properly, I was referring to
the sort of cityscape taken from a lookout or similar, which contains
much tiny detail and invites the viewer to look closely. A cityscape
does not necessarily mean a close up of a building...
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 9:09:16 PM

In article <d55d8p$5f$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
>What I'm
>still trying to determine is if a scanned 6x7 chrome can print as well
>as Doug's prints but I'm not getting sync'd to the only guy I know who
>does this around here.

A 3:2 crop of 6x7 printed at 24"x36" corresponds to a 35mm frame printed
at 12"x18". A 4000 ppi scan provides enough pixels for a 300 ppi
12"x18" print.

May 2, 2005 9:38:36 PM

Douglas posted:
>So tell me Chrlz...
>Are you always so willing to shoot from the hip?
Yes.

>The real danger in doing that is that you'll shoot yourself in the
foot.
So with which bit did I do that?

>FYI, I offered Gisle the opportunity to have a set of demonstration
prints
>(at my expense) and pass public judgment on them and he refused.
You didn't answer the question - why is Gisle's request flawed - it's
up there for all to see? Does your technique give better results? Why
don't you just grab that image, enlarge wit with your algorithm, and
post the result so we can compare it? These are very simple questions
you are avoiding. And even if you don't do that, why is it that you
cannot post your stuff on the web, as scanned samples, showing exactly
how much you have enlarged, and then comparing it back to the original
image. This isn't rocket science, but you are clearly avoiding any
type of test that will show that all you have is a good enlarging
algorithm. That's very nice if you do, but you imply that this is some
sort of breakthrough. I don't think it is.

>He is after all an amature (sic).
At least I can spell it. Anyone on the web is an amateur, until proven
otherwise.

>All your prodding will do is make you look stupid in the end but
>then it wouldn't be the first time you changed your name, would it?.
I knew the ad hominems would appear. I suggest you are doing the
foot-shooting with that attitude. For your info, I suggest you
investigate a little further - I have never engaged in any conversation
with you in the past, nor have i changed my name or used any other
name, ever, on usenet. I simply searched through the archives and
discovered lots of similar claims from you and 'technoaussie/ryadia" -
aren't these people *you*? Claims like the 1000% enlargability claim.
They were so silly I ignored them in the past.

>Neither you or anyone else is likely to find anytime soon that I will
>provide trade secrets my print centres profit from just so you (or he)
can
>play around on a hobby blog with them.
In other words `trust me, my technioque is better, but I won't prove
it.` I repeat, I am not denying you don't have a really nice enlarging
algorithm - it seems you do. But so do many others. And if you won't
put yours up for scrutiny *in a testable way*, and on images that are
not those *you* choose, and then simply demand that folk look at
selected prints... Well, that tells me something.

>He had the first hand chance to see my claim is indeed correct and
declined.
As *I* would, because you have only one method by which you allow
scrutiny.

>Not much more to say on the matter from this end.
Nor here.

>Feel free to keep using the "free" and "major" contenders all
>you like.
I shall. And I would suggest the silent majority may do the same,
because you won't allow proper tests to be made. If you are happy to
miss out on that business, so be it.

>My process is not now nor has it ever been for sale as software.
>Where ever you or he got the idea it was, is beyond me.
So the point of this was..........? It's a little hard to think you
aren't selling your services.. What was that about a franchise? (O; But
whatever.

I'm sure they are lovely prints, and lots of folk will be very happy
with them.

You asked for comments. I gave them. Remove the chip from your
shoulder, stop getting so upset over *non-existent* insults, and just
answer some questions. Or expect this sort of post. It's called ...
scrutiny.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 9:53:16 PM

Chrlz wrote:
> Douglas posted:
>> So tell me Chrlz...
>> Are you always so willing to shoot from the hip?
> Yes.
>
>> The real danger in doing that is that you'll shoot yourself in the
> foot.
> So with which bit did I do that?

<snip>

I simply searched through the
> archives and discovered lots of similar claims from you and
> 'technoaussie/ryadia" - aren't these people *you*?

Did you see the one (or maybe more) purported to be his "last post to
this forum"? Maybe I imagined it. Just as I am imagining (with the aid
of other poster's replies) that he is still posting here.

<snip>

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> "UrbanVoyeur" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>

>> Is this algorithm in a filter or PS automation that we can download or
>> purchase?
>>
>> www.urbanvoyeur.com
>
> Sorry J. It's not for sale as a package you can buy. It comes as a
> franchise.
>
> Douglas

So, I'm impressed. Now, how do we get our hands on this technology? The
way I understand it, we will be able to manipulate our 6mp and 8mp images so
that we can enlarge them much more than we normally could. Is this correct?

What I don't understand is the franchise part of it. You are selling the
technology so that I can start my own printing business?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:19:47 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> So, I'm impressed. Now, how do we get our hands on this technology? The
> way I understand it, we will be able to manipulate our 6mp and 8mp images so
> that we can enlarge them much more than we normally could. Is this correct?
>
> What I don't understand is the franchise part of it. You are selling the
> technology so that I can start my own printing business?

Yup.

He needs a catchy name for it like 'Enlarge-o-matic' & each print shop
will get a locked computer processor with the secret code inside so
nobody can see the super-secret code that does the magic. Processed
files will only go direct to the printer since releasing a digital file
would allow reverse engineering & spoil the get-rich-quick scheme.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Yep, that would have been the thread "Finally did it!" in this group..

Ryadia's first post on that thread started with the misspelt
invocation:

<rubish snipped>

(O; ..and he then relates the story of a photographer who shoots at a
lower resolution than his camera offers (for reasons unknown, maybe he
can't afford the memory cards?), and that:

>He knows we could enlarge his images just as long as
>they were focused correctly. Image sensor density has
>very little to do with image quality. Just like it always has
>been, the camera only hold the lens.

I *partly* agree - pure pixel count is only a part of the story. But
it is an important part, *especially when you hold other factors
constant*!

Later in that same thread:
>This is my last post here. FWIW I have come to the conclusion all
>but a very few of the posters here making statements about
>photography know what they are talking about.
>The group is attracting geeks who are here because it has
>'digital' in the name of the group are not photographers,
>just geeks looking for intellectual stimulus.

Yep, guess I'm just another geek. But in my geekish way, I would
really like to see Doug's claims tested in a method *other* than the
only one he allows... I used to manage a research centre, and we often
had to deal with folks with some wonderful theories, but there was
often this same reticence to allow thorough testing. And, strangely,
in 9.9 cases out of 10, they were RIGHT to be worried... (O;

Next time I'm in Qld (in the next couple of months maybe), I'll have to
drop by and take a look. Don't worry Doug, I'm a gentle soul at heart,
and quite unassuming and logical when you get to know me. I'll bring
in some of my big prints (heheh), and maybe you can show me how much
better you can do..
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:43:30 AM

WOAH!!!! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!!!!

(a person claiming to be) `Graham Hunt` posted:
>..The franchise is "T...s" The cost of one is around $53k...
>If you can get one. Word is the Asians have put in an offer
>for the whole thing, patents and all....

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't Graham Hunt`, AKA `Million
Pics`, also Ryadia, also Douglas MacDonald, also.....

Don't believe me, just go a hunting for other posts by this same
poster, eg on the `did it-What?` thread in rec.photo.equipment.35mm.
It will all become pretty clear, methinks. If I'm right, then your
credibility just went to Hell, and you really are a rather dishonest
person, aren't you? Do you think we were all born yesterday? You
going to use this post to try to sell franchises?

Do explain this all to us, Graham/Douglas. We are all ears.

I'll happily withdraw my remarks and apologise if I'm wrong, but it's
looking *very* suspicious to me right now. Any header experts out
there who can check on who's who??
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:19:55 AM

Frank said:
>Next word series includes "sue", "lawyer", "libel", "slander" ...

Yep, and I would LOVE to see him try! That would do his business no
end of good. Slander is not a big problem hereabouts, as long as the
`slander` is in fact true. Down here in Oz, the authorities take a
*very* dim view of folk who use fraudulent methods to inflate the value
of shares, investments, franchise offers and the like. I used to work
for the very organisation that does the prosecutions!
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:09:44 PM

Sheldon wrote:
> "Douglas" <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"UrbanVoyeur" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>

>>>Is this algorithm in a filter or PS automation that we can download or
>>>purchase?
>>>
>>>www.urbanvoyeur.com
>>
>>Sorry J. It's not for sale as a package you can buy. It comes as a
>>franchise.
>>
>>Douglas
>

> So, I'm impressed. Now, how do we get our hands on this technology? The
> way I understand it, we will be able to manipulate our 6mp and 8mp images so
> that we can enlarge them much more than we normally could. Is this correct?
>
> What I don't understand is the franchise part of it. You are selling the
> technology so that I can start my own printing business?

In Australia, The franchise is "Techno Aussie digital print centres" The
cost of one is around $53k... If you can get one. Word is the Asians
have put in an offer for the whole thing, patents and all. The cost is
about in line with a Xerox copy shop except you get to print photos and
posters too. The technology is changing so fast, you'd need to have a
pretty decent customer base to draw on or buy one already set up and
making a profit.

The printers are the cost. $20,000 plus for the big one.

GH
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:27:17 PM

Nice try, Douglas/Graham. SEE BELOW, and feel free to explain.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:31:06 PM

Please explain, Ryadia.

Direct quote from rec.photo.digital:
==================quote:
Graham Hunt Mar 30, 9:18 pm hide options
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Graham Hunt <million_p...@yahoo.com> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:18:54 +1000
Subject: Re: Chromat Aberration Correction???

Chuck Forsberg wrote:
> I downloaded a trial version of JSC Paint Shop Pro 9.
......you can still get CA if you don't know how it occurs and how
to avoid it.

Douglas.

=====================endquote

NOTE - It is signed DOUGLAS. There are many other examples. Shall I
post them, here and back on AUS.PHOTO? You are busted, dickhead.

You are a CROOK and a LIAR. Go ahead, take the action and make my day.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:15:06 PM

Chrlz wrote:
> WOAH!!!! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!!!!
>
> (a person claiming to be) `Graham Hunt` posted:
>
>>..The franchise is "T...s" The cost of one is around $53k...
>>If you can get one. Word is the Asians have put in an offer
>>for the whole thing, patents and all....
>

> Umm, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't Graham Hunt`, AKA `Million
> Pics`, also Ryadia, also Douglas MacDonald, also.....
>
> Don't believe me, just go a hunting for other posts by this same
> poster, eg on the `did it-What?` thread in rec.photo.equipment.35mm.
> It will all become pretty clear, methinks. If I'm right, then your
> credibility just went to Hell, and you really are a rather dishonest
> person, aren't you? Do you think we were all born yesterday? You
> going to use this post to try to sell franchises?
>
> Do explain this all to us, Graham/Douglas. We are all ears.
>
> I'll happily withdraw my remarks and apologise if I'm wrong, but it's
> looking *very* suspicious to me right now. Any header experts out
> there who can check on who's who??

One of the problems with having shops at several locations is that
absolute dick heads like you can't grasp the notion that I might post
from someone else's PC at different times of the day.

Check the IP idiot! different ISPs too!
Or is that process beyone the self admiring "geek"'s capabilities?
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:25:41 PM

Chrlz wrote:
> Frank said:
>
>>Next word series includes "sue", "lawyer", "libel", "slander" ...
>

> Yep, and I would LOVE to see him try! That would do his business no
> end of good. Slander is not a big problem hereabouts, as long as the
> `slander` is in fact true. Down here in Oz, the authorities take a
> *very* dim view of folk who use fraudulent methods to inflate the value
> of shares, investments, franchise offers and the like. I used to work
> for the very organisation that does the prosecutions!

"Hereabouts" your ISP prohibits using their network to transmit personal
threats or abuse. To call me a crook without evidence (and you are
unlikely to get any)is getting close to that. pull you head in or I'll
make a complaint.

If you actually had a clue in the first place, you'd have looked up
ASIC's database and maybe even paid the $50 to get the lowdown on me but
of course you'd rather shoot off your mouth before knowing what it's all
about and the interested spectator making the bullets for you to fire
(listening Frank?) is only using you for his own amusement... How easy
are you to manipulate?

Why would I bother to waste my time and money to sue a loser like you?
The whole concept of a lawsuit is that the person you sue has something
you can sue for. With your attitude, you wouldn't hold a job down long
enough to get anything to sue for.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:02:56 AM

So let's just summarise this thread, and briefly look at that feeble
attempt to *change the subject*, shall we?

YOU posted this request for feedback on an enlarging algorithm. YOU
REFUSE to allow the algorithm to be tested in any way, except by giving
out your chosen samples and advertising. YOU abuse and denigrate
anyone who dares to suggest that your algorithm is worthless unless
proven to be effective, and you will not allow any tests whatsoever.

YOU then posted a clearly fraudulent attempt to deceive others into
thinking that your franchises were highly valuable and about to be
bought out by 'the Asians'. I note that YOU HAVE NOT DENIED THIS.
Answer the bloody question - ARE YOU GRAHAM HUNT?? (But we already
know that - I've proven it above. And read my lips - IP addresses
don't come into it when *you* SIGN a post, allegedly by Graham Hunt, as
`DOUGLAS`..!! What a moron!) There are numerous examples of your
schizophrenia littered all over these groups, and I invite anyone who
doubts that you are a lying sockpuppeting lowlife to look at posts like
the above-mentioned "chromat aberration" in rec.photo.equipment.35mm
where you really gave the game away, and your laughable support as
Graham, for your alter-ego Douglas, in "20D Autofocus issue" in this
group. Over in "Canvas Prints" in the aus.photo group, you post as
Graham again, kindly helping out someone who complained that Doug's
mailbox was full, and again I quote (were you pissed,
Gra/Doug/Rya/Tech/Joe/One?):

================== Quote:
>Graham Hunt Apr 5, 10:33 pm
>Newsgroups: aus.photo
>From: Graham Hunt <million_p...@yahoo.com>
>Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:33:04 +1000
>Subject: Re: [comm] Re: Canvas prints (advertisment)
>
>> I tried to email you, but Hotmail bounced it with a "Mailbox
>> unavailable" error.
>
>With as many identities on the 'net as he/I/we have,
>it's pretty hard to keep track of who we/he/I am/is today.
>..you'll find the address is correct except for the hotmail part.
>It should be yahoo. Anyway...
>
>Who do you want to be today and... Where do you want
>to go today?
>...I'd like to be ryadia today.
>damn...
>Forgotten who I am again!
================== EndQuote:

It would be funny, except that you think the folk here are idiots. So
why don't you just admit that you ARE Graham Hunt, and that you posted
a fraudulent attempt to boost your franchise value? It's up there for
all to see. And all your other lame-ass sockpuppetry is scattered all
over these newsgroups, Douglas / Graham Hunt / Ryadia / Technoaussie /
Joe Bailey / One Million Pics / Million Pics - have I missed any?

It's a question that I will keep asking, over and over, and repost as
necessary whenever your bullshit reappears.. And I think a letter to
ASIC and the ACCC might be in order, if you really are promoting these
as franchises - I'll look up some of my old mates. Let me assure you
that such behaviour is highly illegal.

So, I'm out of my league, am I? Good. Because I don't want to be in
any `league` that someone like you is part of. Am I *acting* like I am
out of my league? You'll note I'm still here, and I won't go away
until you admit your FRAUDulent actions. So keep bumping this thread..

((By the way, not that it matters, but the Dept you refer to includes
training authorities, CentreLink, schools and school libraries, TAFE
colleges, related computer classrooms and internet access suites,
libraries, etc. From that you think I'm unemployed? <grin> And it is
interesting that you think my posting location has any bearing on this.
It must be frustrating for you that I don't resort to all the
personalities/sockpuppets that *you* seem to need to bolster your
position. That position is looking a little tenuous now.

If anyone takes you seriously again, I might have to remind them of a
few facts.

Facts that you are avoiding like the proverbial plague.

You are guilty as charged. But feel free to try to change the subject
again, and I'll go find more examples to discredit you. There's LOTS
of stuff out there - it's pretty amusing really!
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:09:56 AM

By the way, where did `Graham` go???

Come back and tell us more!!!! (O;
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:29:49 AM

((Off-topic, apologies to other posters for wasting your time. Do not
read on unless interested in watching Douglas/Ryadia squirm..))

Douglas wrote:
> Identify yourself or crawl back under your rock, child.

Why? I'm not the one lying and avoiding the subject. My information
speaks for itself. YOU are the one posting under false names with a
view to fraudulently increase the value of your franchises.. You STILL
haven't denied it, nor have you offered ANY explanation for signing off
as Douglas when you were pretending to be Graham. It's tricky when you
get caught up in a web of lies, isn't it..

> The concept that I would provide any business related information..

Bwahhahahh!! I'm not asking for your business information, you wanker.
I'm simply calling you out for FRAUD, and sockpuppetry.

>If you think my shot at Ken Chandler in aus.photo..

Read it again. This has nothing to do with the many arguments you get
into with *other* folk here. In that posting you ADMIT you are using
these false identities. It's *that* simple. I'm trying to keep you
on-topic!

>how do you suppose it is that I can post from 4 people's computers

Who gives a toss? Check my IP on this one, and the next one.
Different? That's 3... but it's frigging irrelevant. I REPEAT, I'm
calling you out for fraudulent use of identities to promote your lame
business using LIES. No-one cares where you, or I, post from.

>I doubt any Government funded organisation would allow you to use
>their facilities to anonymously slander and defame anyone..

Funnily enough, most organisations don't care much about occasional use
of text-based services that consume little bandwidth. And
slander/defamation only applies when someone is misrepresenting the
truth. I am not. You *are* doing what I have accused you of. You ARE
a liar, Graham/Doug/Ryadia/Joe/....

> Maybe I should give them a ring and see what they're (sic) policy
> on the matter is?

You do that. And ring the owner of the one I'm posting from *now*, and
the one I will be posting from later tonight, if it floats your boat.
And keep avoiding the issue, and don't ever actually quote any of my
messages, and keep avoiding the fact that you are Graham Hunt, and that
you fraudulently tried to pass yourself off as another person, with a
view to promote your business.

>You really are out of your league if you think threatening me with
>"your mates" is likely to have any effect.

Why are you `threat`-ened? I'm just going to write them a courteous
letter asking them to take a look at this thread. And I'll happily
admit I'm a little out-of-touch about franchise law, and of course you
could be bullshitting about the franchises anyway, but I think at the
very least you will get a warning. The letter is ready to go. I do
still have mates working in ASIC, and I'll be happy to have a chat with
them again about the old days. I just thought you might like to know,
in case you still want to think I'm ill-informed, that I used to manage
the Liquidations and Strike-Offs section in what used to be the
Corporate Affairs Commission, which is now ASIC. T'was a long time ago,
back when the bottom-of-the-harbour schemes were rife - interesting
days indeed.

And like I said, I'm *delighted* to not be in your `league`. People
like you make me sick.

> Don't forget the old fire with fire thing lest you
> get burned yourself.

Well gee thanks for the scary warning. If I had done something as
despicable as you did, I *would* be worried...

> Douglas at Douglas's PC.

Chrlz at a different PC.

(grinning all the way)
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 7:19:26 AM

> Further, the noise level is very low, although there is some blocking up
> in the shaddow areas, but this is not very noticeable at normal distances.

Though, if the noise is in the original image, that's not the fault of the
process, right? It's just giving you a really nice rendering of what you
gave it, noise and all. Or are you saying the process *added* this noise?

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
May 4, 2005 10:59:15 AM

Identify yourself or crawl back under your rock, child.
The concept that I would provide any business related information to anyone
at the prodding of someone hiding their identity (and not very well) behind
Google is quite an interesting one. If you think my shot at Ken Chandler in
aus.photo who, like you cannot comprehend that there may be several PCs I
post from, is in any way related to fraud, your fertile imagination has been
fertlised with the wrong weed.

On the subject of identity, how do you suppose it is that I can post from 4
people's computers at 4 different locations and using 4 different ISPs and
sign my name to avoid confussion and still manage to confuse you? Says a lot
about your infantile mind, doesn't it? Not damaged by the dope is it?

It really wouldn't matter how many employment related departments are
involved in the block of addresses belonging to the source, I doubt any
Government funded organisation would allow you to use their facilities to
anonymously slander and defame anyone once they identified you.

Maybe I should give them a ring and see what they're policy on the matter
is? If like you say, you are not actually on the dole, you could be real
soon. You really are out of your league if you think threatening me with
"your mates" is likely to have any effect. Don't forget the old fire with
fire thing lest you get burned yourself.

Douglas at Douglas's PC.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:26:42 PM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>Further, the noise level is very low, although there is some blocking up
>>in the shaddow areas, but this is not very noticeable at normal distances.
>

> Though, if the noise is in the original image, that's not the fault of the
> process, right? It's just giving you a really nice rendering of what you
> gave it, noise and all. Or are you saying the process *added* this noise?

I have no way of knowing where the noise originated from. I would
expect that the producer of the image would see it and PS it out (smooth
it) but that's his choice.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
May 4, 2005 2:46:26 PM

Only in Australia could it happen...
God I just love the attitude problems that create a whole bunch of
unemployable dole bludgers I pay tax to support. Get a life idiot. Maybe
then you can get a job.

Nah... on second thought I wouldn't wish you as an employee on my worst
enemy.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 7:40:41 PM

"Douglas" <decipleofeos@hotmail.com> writes:
> "Chrlz" <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message

>> Douglas, isn't it time *you* answered the challenge on this page? (It
>> is worth a visit if anyone is interested in this enlargement algorithm
>> stuff.)
>>
>> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/interpolation.html
>>
>> That would put an end to it. Your algorithm against the other
>> major contenders (some of which are free, I might add). If you
>> have a problem with that (personally, I think the examples on that
>> page are an ideal test), please tell us what the problem actually
>> is.
>>
>> I notice that in the past, you have claimed enlargement of 1000% is
>> possible with `no loss of disernable (sic) detail`. That's a 10x
>> enlargement, folks... I'm afraid this all puts your credibility,
>> and eyesight, in a different light..

> FYI, I offered Gisle the opportunity to have a set of demonstration
> prints (at my expense) and pass public judgment on them and he
> refused. Claimed he wasn't qualified to pass judgment on them.
> Fair enough. He is after all an amature.

Correct.

> He had the first hand chance to see my claim is indeed correct and
> declined.

Not correct.

Your claims were: 1) your method of interpolation is superior to any
other method of interpolation; and 2) at enlargements up to 1000 %
there is "no loss of discernable detail".

A visual inspection of your interpolated prints (which are all very
nice, clean and smooth, I am sure) is irrelevant with respect to
verifying (or falsifying) these two claims .