Need advice on importance of new (ssd)HDD - new rig

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2012 5:16:58 AM

Greetings. I have recently ordered the following:

a Mainboard Gigabyte B75-D3V, socket 1155

Kit Dual Channel Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz

Intel® CoreTM i3 3220, 3300MHz, 3MB, socket 1155

video card MSI AMD Radeon HD 7850, 1024MB, GDDR5, 256bit, HDMI, DVI-I, PCI-E

Now the only thing I didn't have money for AND was not in stock and it would have implied waiting more for the order was a 60 gb SSD drive. I heard a tip from a friend that that ssd drive, had I put my OS on it and then somehow load my games into its virtual memory would speed the games up noticeably. Currently, I have a 5 to 7 years old 320 GB 7200 RPM sata HDD and I am wondering how much will it slow my new set-up up. Will it totally cripple it or will I be able to play smooth games even without the new SSD which I plan to get anyway in the near future.

Thanks a bunch!
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2012 6:37:08 AM

get an ssd, it is a priority if you want speed, makes everything faster like you wouldn't believe
December 8, 2012 6:59:05 AM

even in game FPS in a drastical way?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2012 7:20:17 AM

touche, well not so much in games, once games are loaded, it's memory, it will make the game load faster though.

In general though, it makes everything more pleasant, to a surprising degree.

You won't regret it, I promise.

I upgraded last year, will never have a computer without an SSD ever again.
December 8, 2012 3:25:38 PM

mate I dont doubt it for one second that SSD is the most awesome thing out there however I had the choice of either getting an SSD and sticking to a 6 year old geforce 9600gt or a new radeon 7850 which is just INSANE for its price and postponin the SSD purchase till i sell my old pc once the new components arive.

gaming wise i think i made the right call especially since i will be getting the ssd too eventually
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2012 3:34:20 PM

Don't get a 60GB SSD. You will only be able to load (maybe) 1 or 2 games. Get at least a 120-128 GB and, if you can manage it, get a larger one. The bigger the better because you will be able to load more games onto it. You will only be able to experience the speed improvement if you actually have the games installed on the SSD.
December 8, 2012 3:36:50 PM

I heard something about creating some sort of virtual thingie on the SSD that allows to to load games on other non-ssd HDD's into the SSD's virtual memory and practially make it load from the ssd, "fooling the system".

but yes since I already chose a 7850 and postponed the ssd purchase a few days i might as well get a larger one
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2012 5:29:58 PM

enjoy the video card, i just got a 7870, very happy with it
!