Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Build $500-700 Please Help!

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2012 5:22:00 AM

Guys I would really appreciate it if you'd help me out with this build. I have built a PC before but I've been out of the game for a long while. I really don't understand what configurations don't work with other configurations. For instance some MOBOs would not work with CPUs. If you'd be so kind to explain to me what I need to look for in terms of conflicts between the working parts of computers, then I'd appreciate that too. Thanks.

Approximate Purchase Date: End of the month

Budget Range: 500-700 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Virtual Machines, Internet, Work (word processing, excel)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: EVERYTHING.

Do you need to buy OS: NO

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NEWEGG.COM

Parts Preferences: I prefer ASUS Motherboards and AMD Processors. Not necessary though.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments: I am planning on having three hard drives installed on this computer if possible. I would like for it to be quiet but that is not necessary. I am playing Half Life 2 games. I would be running Linux on at least one of the partitions.

Why Are You Upgrading: My old desktop fizzled out a year and a half ago. I think the power supply is broken. I will figure out what is wrong with it once I've built this new computer.

More about : gaming build 500 700

December 8, 2012 9:00:17 AM

OK all. I found the PCPartpicker site and I did some research and came up with this computer:

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: Antec 850W 80 PLUS Certified CPX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

What do you all think? Is there any issue with any of the parts... are some bad in your opinion? Are there some compatibility issues? Please let me know what you think.
m
l
December 8, 2012 9:19:21 AM

The AMD FX series are terrible for gaming, go intel if you want the computer to be good for gaming, here's what i came up with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $698.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 06:18 EST-0500)

Near maxed out your budget but this is a great gaming system, its worth forking out the extra.
m
l
December 8, 2012 9:20:44 AM

You may be able to save some money there.

Firstly, the CPU cooler you've chosen is generally an overclocker's choice, so if you don't plan on doing any you could go for a cooler that's almost as good for half the price: Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2.

If it's a gaming PC you might want to get a HDD with at least 500GB space, I'd recommend the Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200rpm or even its 1.5GB counterpart for an extra $30 or so. This is extremely important if you'll be taking part in any of the steam sales, you can easily fill 100GB per sale with those prices :D 

Your power supply is quite overkill for a build like that, even very high-end setups often won't need more than 500W (best to pick a PSU at least 100W better than the requirement). For this I'd recommend the Corsair CX600 PSU (80+ certified).

Another thing is the superstition of 2 AMD cores = 1 intel core, so it might be a good idea to either get at least the 6 core AMD FX or a quad-core Intel i3/i5. Not only that but Intel processors are 22nm in length as opposed to the AMD 32nm, meaning that it runs cooler and processes information faster (you most-likely will not even need an after-market cooler).
m
l
!