Best flash for D70?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 1, 2005 7:33:15 PM

I will get my new D70s in a few days, and consider to buy a good flash for
it. What's your experience - which are the best? Everyone I've talked to
recommends the SB-800, but isn't it overpriced?

How about the Metz flashes? Are they completely compatible with all
automatic functions in the D70?

Aaron

More about : flash d70

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:56:21 AM

Aaron Blacksmith <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote:

> I will get my new D70s in a few days, and consider to buy a good flash for
> it. What's your experience - which are the best? Everyone I've talked to
> recommends the SB-800, but isn't it overpriced?

It's a little pricey if you don't use flash a lot, yes. But there is always
the SB-600, which is cheaper and almost as good. I went with that one.

> How about the Metz flashes? Are they completely compatible with all
> automatic functions in the D70?

No idea; I see that they have iTTL flashes, but I know only what is on
the B&H site. I'm not a big user of on-camera flash, so I didn't look
too deeply into this, I just wanted something that would work when I
wanted it to, and the SB-600 seemed to be just the thing.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Aaron Blacksmith wrote:
> I will get my new D70s in a few days, and consider to buy a good
flash for
> it. What's your experience - which are the best? Everyone I've
talked to
> recommends the SB-800, but isn't it overpriced?
>
> How about the Metz flashes? Are they completely compatible with all
> automatic functions in the D70?
>
> Aaron

If you are interested in multi-flash and off camera work, you may want
to inquire further about this flash, but if you're only looking for an
on camera flash that is D70 dedicated (even bounce), I love mine.
Bounce (many angles) is great and it really gets out. Big guide number
and big light for half the price of the Nikon. It is supposed to work
for off camera applications just as the SB 800, but I've heard
grumblings from others that they couldn't get it to work. Whether
that's operator error or a fault of the flash, I don't know. There are
two iTTL versions and it may be they are trying to get this one (less
expensive) to do the job of the larger one ($50 more). I've never used
mine for anything but on-camera iTTL dedicated flash and it does a
great job in that respect.

Here's B&H price.. you may do better elsewhere:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

Here's a Sigma web site which I think describes the more expensive one,
but the one at B&H does the bounce and iTTL assist functions just fine:

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/a_pages/flash.htm
May 3, 2005 6:31:18 AM

Read the spec on how high the terminal voltage can be without damaging the
camera. Then narrow your search to ones that don't exceed that voltage .
"Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote in message
> I will get my new D70s in a few days, and consider to buy a good flash for
> it. What's your experience - which are the best? Everyone I've talked to
> recommends the SB-800, but isn't it overpriced?
>
> How about the Metz flashes? Are they completely compatible with all
> automatic functions in the D70?
>
> Aaron

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:52:11 AM

Aaron Blacksmith wrote:
> I will get my new D70s in a few days, and consider to buy a good
flash for
> it. What's your experience - which are the best? Everyone I've
talked to
> recommends the SB-800, but isn't it overpriced?

I thought the SB-800 was a bit overpriced, so I bought the SB-600
(couldn't justify the price difference). The SB-600 works impressivly
well with the camera. I haven't had one picture with overblown
brightness, thanks to the iTTL BL function. Setting up the flash for
wireless functionality is quite easy as well. I got some pretty awesome
results with backlighting and just generaly flailing the flash around
with my left hand.

I'm not 100% sure what the differences are between the 600 and the 800.
I know the 800 has strobe and extra auto exposure settings, but unless
you're planning on using it, I don't see the point. I'd say if you're
planning on doing any kind of portrait work, get the SB-800... for
general indoor photography like weddings and functions, the 600 should
hold up to its own.

As for the Metz, no idea... haven't seen any available in South Africa
capable of iTTL.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 8:12:02 PM

"bH" <hein.dejager@gmail.com> wrote in news:1115218331.837532.326440
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
> I'm not 100% sure what the differences are between the 600 and the 800.
> I know the 800 has strobe and extra auto exposure settings, but unless
> you're planning on using it, I don't see the point. I'd say if you're

SB-800 also gives you another stop worth of power output, comes with the
diffusion dome (optional for SB-600 I believe), and works in swarms (if you
felt flush enough to buy three of them, say).

I've heard that the SB-600 display is actually a little nicer.

Either way the SB-x00 is the best flash I've ever owned.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:45:59 PM

I consider my SB-800 to be my second best purchase in photography (D70
being the first)

Larry Oravetz wrote:
> Read the spec on how high the terminal voltage can be without damaging the
> camera. Then narrow your search to ones that don't exceed that voltage .
> "Aaron Blacksmith" <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I will get my new D70s in a few days, and consider to buy a good flash for
>>it. What's your experience - which are the best? Everyone I've talked to
>>recommends the SB-800, but isn't it overpriced?
>>
>>How about the Metz flashes? Are they completely compatible with all
>>automatic functions in the D70?
>>
>>Aaron

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:24:20 PM

In article <b9Gee.13435$%H2.9527@trnddc06>,
sunjin <bt4@olympus.amerhonda.com> wrote:

Original poster's attribution lost to previous newsreader which
did not preserve it.

>>>I will get my new D70s in a few days, and consider to buy a good flash for
>>>it. What's your experience - which are the best? Everyone I've talked to
>>>recommends the SB-800, but isn't it overpriced?

>I consider my SB-800 to be my second best purchase in photography (D70
>being the first)

I just got the SB-800 (yesterday), and I already have to agree.
(Though some individual lenses are close thirds.) I'll be some time
experimenting with all of the options which that flash unit offers --
especially the ability to use the camera as a commander unit, and the
SB-800 to serve as a slave -- with no cables connecting it to the
camera. Now I want more of them to play with multiple flash
positioning. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
May 6, 2005 11:37:31 PM

DoN. Nichols <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> especially the ability to use the camera as a commander unit, and the
> SB-800 to serve as a slave -- with no cables connecting it to the
> camera. Now I want more of them to play with multiple flash
> positioning. :-)

The thing is, though, the things are so expensive that at that point you
might as well just get "real" studio strobes.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> DoN. Nichols <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>

>>especially the ability to use the camera as a commander unit, and the
>>SB-800 to serve as a slave -- with no cables connecting it to the
>>camera. Now I want more of them to play with multiple flash
>>positioning. :-)
>

> The thing is, though, the things are so expensive that at that point you
> might as well just get "real" studio strobes.

I agree. Further, running multiple integrated wireless flashes becomes
hopelessly uncontollable. (Done it a lot). The camera meters every
shot differently (per what is in the scene) and you end up sith
variances in aperture. Colors/exoposures shift all over. Individual
images may look fine, but the set looks randomly exposed.

A few low to mid range power monolights and two/three AC strobes for
hairlights and such and you've got perfect control and more importantly
a consistently exposed set of images for the shoot.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:50:30 PM

"DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:D 5gg94$qmf$1@fuego.d-and-d.com...
> In article <b9Gee.13435$%H2.9527@trnddc06>,
> sunjin <bt4@olympus.amerhonda.com> wrote:
>
> Original poster's attribution lost to previous newsreader which
> did not preserve it.

>>I consider my SB-800 to be my second best purchase in photography (D70
>>being the first)
>
> I just got the SB-800 (yesterday), and I already have to agree.
> (Though some individual lenses are close thirds.) I'll be some time
> experimenting with all of the options which that flash unit offers --
> especially the ability to use the camera as a commander unit, and the
> SB-800 to serve as a slave -- with no cables connecting it to the
> camera. Now I want more of them to play with multiple flash
> positioning. :-)
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.
> --
> Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
> (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
> --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

OK - I'm convinced. I have boutht one now, and it seems great. What you said
about "individual lenses..." made me curious. Could you specify this?
Aaron
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:50:31 PM

In article <aUPee.136619$dP1.481915@newsc.telia.net>,
Aaron Blacksmith <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote:
>"DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
>news:D 5gg94$qmf$1@fuego.d-and-d.com...

[ ... ]

>> I just got the SB-800 (yesterday), and I already have to agree.
>> (Though some individual lenses are close thirds.)

[ ... ]

>OK - I'm convinced. I have boutht one now, and it seems great. What you said
>about "individual lenses..." made me curious. Could you specify this?

Well ... first off -- I did not get the "kit" lens with my D70 --
I bought the body only, because I already had a 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D lens.
For my purposes, since I tend to crop close far more often than I go for
wide angle, that range (effective focal length range of 42-157.5 mm)
covers what I need better than the kit lens does. I used to use (with
film) a 50mm and a 135mm lens as my two most common lenses.

Second, I picked up at a hamfest an older 180mm f2.8 (effective
focal length of 270mm), and got it retrofitted with a CPU, so the
metering works, even though it does not do autofocus. That larger
maximum aperture reminded me of how much I liked doing film work with an
even faster lens, so I picked up a used 50mm f1.4 (effective focal
length of 75mm) which did have the CPU and autofocus. I tend to have
the ISO set to auto, so it will let me get shots in rather dark
conditions (even with the 180mm f2.8) without flash calling attention to
my shooting.

I consider all of these (in combination) to be better for my
needs than the kit lens, and the 28-105mm to be better than the kit lens
in general.

For wide angle shots, I have older lenses which have no CPU, so
I need to use either a hand-held meter, or do "chimping" with the
histogram to guide me, since if I am using a wide angle, I also am
shooting in a situation which allows me to take my time, so the metering
and the autofocus are not really needed.

Those two lenses are a 20mm f2.8, and a 16mm f3.5 fisheye. I
could get the 20mm f2.8 retrofitted with a CPU, but I haven't felt the
need there. Maybe someday. :-)

But -- this is better for *my* shooting habits. It may not be
so for yours.

The 28-105mm is the only lens which I purchased *new*.

Enjoy,
DoN.
May 7, 2005 1:57:30 AM

DoN. Nichols <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> and a 16mm f3.5 fisheye.

How is that on digital, with the crop? I've got the 10.5mm fisheye, which
is cool, but which also has quite a bit more chromatic aberration than I
would like. But with the 16mm, how much field of view do you end up with?

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

In article <117nq2a4qocos2b@corp.supernews.com>,
Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>DoN. Nichols <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>
>> and a 16mm f3.5 fisheye.
>
>How is that on digital, with the crop?

Sort of like a 24mm wide angle on 35mm with a bit more
distortion than you would normally expect. :-) But it *is* more wide
angle than I otherwise have avaialble. What I really need is a 0.66X
telextender to use with that lens to get normal coverage. Hmm ... that
might be useful for other lenses, too. :-)

I remember once, when I was trying to shoot some photos of a
friend who was taking a modeling course, and was trying to duplicate the
perspective of the photos from magazines which she was attempting to
duplicate. I had a screw-in fisheye stacked on two telextenders (on a
Miranda G) to get the appropriate effective focal length. :-)

> I've got the 10.5mm fisheye, which
>is cool, but which also has quite a bit more chromatic aberration than I
>would like. But with the 16mm, how much field of view do you end up with?

As above -- like a 24mm on 35mm film. Not quite enough are to
truly show the fisheye effect, but too much to minimize distortion. So
far, I have just played with it, including the built-in filters (Red,
Orange, and Yellow) just to see what effect they had on the color
balance in the D70.

Enjoy,
DoN.