Evga GTX670 Screen Tears and artifacts

littleblackboy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
293719_10152188380485223_504610287_n.jpg

This happens to me on when I play games, and bad tears on battlefield when its not happening.

cpu / mb / gpu is not over heating.

fps do not drop.

I did a stress test on cpu and checked cpu and ram for errors.

I updated drivers.

reinstalled direct x

reseated graphics card

reinstalled windows

checked the powersupply.

All checked out, I even did a graphics card stress test to see if there are any artifacts.. came back with none. But during games have this issue. sometimes the games get hung, and goes to desktop. once the computer restarted.

I think I have narrowed it down to the graphics card because I've tested everything else.. Even took the 670 out and ran intel hd 4000 and it works perfectly fine.

any Ideas or suggestions? I just bought it a day ago.

My specs

i7 3770k | AsRock Z77 Pro4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gbs DDR3 1600 | 128gb samsung 830 | seagate 2tb | evga geforce gtx670 | 600watt Thermaltake TR2

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Solution
Sounds like a bad gpu to me. You could return it and if they new card has issues too, then it could be a bad power supply. I recommend Seasonic power supplies and a 620w unit should be sufficient.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Before you return the video card I would take a volage reading at the two PCIe connectors while your system is under load. You said it is doing the problems during games which means it is under more of a load than just web surffing. Have someone play battlefield while you take the voltage reading at the connectors, make sure it does not drop below 12vdc, my guess is the power supply is not living up to its' rated wattage. Thermaltake has had some hit and miss power supplies over the past few years, I could not find any TEST reviews on this unit. Newegg reviews were not very good!

littleblackboy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I will test it from the pci-e pins - question though- When I look at the voltage the asrock utility says while in game [alt+tab] the lowest it went was 12.11v while on full load with 670. would that be suffecient information or should I get a physical reading?

Before the 670 I had the 660ti which I returned for the 670 and it was working perfectly. I know the 670 draws more watts though.

littleblackboy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Psu is pushing the juice, I ended up taking the graphics card back and swapping it out.. hopefully that is the last of it. I will know tonight if I'm still having these issues..

VSYNC issues have nothing to do with a damaged card IMO. A damaged card has issues like:
a) strange screen artifacts
b) can crash the computer
c) no screen at all

Troubleshooting:
1) Install FRAPS and run it during a game
2) make sure settings allow at least 60FPS
3) Try several games
4) Make sure NVIDIA Control Panel global settings are DEFAULT
5) use the following VSYNC options:

a) in-game VSYNC only (don't apply VSYNC or Adaptive VSYNC in the NVidia Control Panel to that game)

b) VSYNC by NVidia Control Panel (game selection over-written)

c) Adaptive VSYNC by NCP

6) If you have a SPARE HARD DRIVE then reinstall Windows (don't Activate) and the necessary drivers (main motherboard chipset, sound, video etc) and Microsoft Updates to get running again and see if the problem disappears.

SUMMARY:
The problem appears to be software (likely driver) related. I have a GTX680 and I had no issues then started getting tearing issues or games VSYNC'd despite VSYNC disabled. I'm still troubleshooting.

I recently swapped to an AMD card while troubleshooting and it's possible something got messed up despite removing all AMD and reinstalling NVidia drivers.

Again, this is not a hardware issue.