Sign in with
Your question

Does it matter which pci express slot I use?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 18, 2012 1:30:19 PM

So I got a Asus F2 A85-M Pro Motherboard and was going to put a Evga NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti in it.
The motherboard has 2 pci express slots. Problem is the first slot, if I do put my graphics card there will cover up the 2 usb 3.0 slots I have. If I put it in the 2nd pci express slot (graphics card) will it make a difference? I can't seem to find the answer in the manual or online or not a direct one at least. Help please?

Link: Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Graphics card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 158 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 1:42:03 PM

Should not matter, but the worst thing that will happen is, you try it, it does not work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 1:47:59 PM

uhhhh, yeah, those ports are actually different.

The top port is a 16X port and the bottom is a 8X port.
If you look into each of the ports, you will notice that there will only be half of the metal contacts in the lower port than the top one...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 1:50:21 PM

It will work, the speed of the slot may be lower but it probably will not make a difference, most GPU's don't "fully saturate" the PCI slots anyways. I almost wonder if the second slot is meant to be for the GPU if putting it in the first slot would cover up any ports, but traditionally it's meant for the first slot.

^^ Oops I did not actually look at his MOBO, strange that the slot would cover other ports on the board, is it just meant for smaller GPU's then?
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 1:54:52 PM

well i took a look at the mobo, and I cant see any usb ports that would be blocked by the card? (or any ports for that matter, except the pcie 1x right beneath the pcie x16)

I think the op is confusing something here....
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 1:58:18 PM

oh I see, asus has printed a 'usb 3 boost' -slogan on the mobo next to the pcie x1 slots... yeah those arent usb ports... and you'll only lose 1 pcie x1 slot
m
l
October 18, 2012 3:49:05 PM

hi, the difference between 16x and 8x is very small for PCI-e 2.0.
m
l
!