18-125mm & 18-200mm DSL lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Has anyone tried these lenses from Sigma and Tamron?

It seems to me that they would , for the most part, eliminate changing
lenses for different views,(wide angle/telephoto). . With the CCD/CMOS/
35mm film correction, (1.6-1.5X), The Fl would be about 28-200mm and
28-300mm.
Advantage: Eliminate dust on sensor.
Disadvantage: Slower than most common zoom lenses at telephoto settings

-
John G
..

> It seems to me that they would , for the most part, eliminate changing
> lenses for different views,(wide angle/telephoto). . With the
CCD/CMOS/
> 35mm film correction, (1.6-1.5X), The Fl would be about 28-200mm and
> 28-300mm.
> Advantage: Eliminate dust on sensor.
> Disadvantage: Slower than most common zoom lenses at telephoto
settings

Quite a bit slower at the telephoto end, particualrly on the Tamron
(naturally, since it's longer - wonder how they compare at 125?). It's
tough enough in some lighting situations to get a fast enough shutter
speed to counteract camera shake at those lengths.

I've got two zooms - an 18-55 and a 70-300 - and I have been thinking
about getting the Sigma 18-125 to replace the 18-55. But I find that I
really use focal lengths near 300 often enough that I'd *still* be
changing lenses quite a bit. And realistically, I don't find I use the
range from 70-125 all that much - I'm shooting either pretty wide or
very long. Plus, that Sigma is rather larger than my 18-55.

--------------
Marc Sabatella
marc@outsideshore.com

The Outside Shore
Music, art, & educational materials:
http://www.outsideshore.com/

"John G" <j30g41@wowway.com> wrote in message
> Question: Has anyone tried these lenses from Sigma and Tamron?
>
> It seems to me that they would , for the most part, eliminate changing
> lenses for different views,(wide angle/telephoto). . With the CCD/CMOS/
> 35mm film correction, (1.6-1.5X), The Fl would be about 28-200mm and
> 28-300mm.
> Advantage: Eliminate dust on sensor.
> Disadvantage: Slower than most common zoom lenses at telephoto settings
>
> -
> John G

I have a Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5 - 5.6 that was almost free when I bought my
Fuji S3. I personally think the lens blows goats and resent the space it
takes up in my cupboard! The lens is potentially excellent value for money,
but it's a hell of a compromise on quality and the resulting chromatic
aberration is too much for me.

If you take your camera to a decent camera shop they will probably let you
try the different lenses on your camera body. Take a few test shots at a
high contrast detailed subject and ask them to print the images out - the
proof is in the print!!

Cheers,
Craig.