vicki_in_florida

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 570.
Right out of the box, the HDMI kept saying that it had no input, even though
it did have a chord plugged into it.

When I turn on the pc, it doesn't load windows, it just keeps saying
no HDMI input on a black screen and the only way I can get past that error code is to
plug in the VGA cord.

Once the pc gets into windows, all works fine until I shut down or go into sleep mode,
then the no hdmi input error starts again. I notice that it does this even when I leave the
VGA chord plugged in?

I have replaced the chord three times with brand new chords, it still does this.

Dell thought it was a faulty HDMI port and replaced the motherboard
two seperate times now. It still didn't fix my issue so then they thought it
was a faulty plug on the monitor and replaced it. Still having the same issue.

Everytime I call Dell tech support, they keep me on the phone for hours updating
drivers, bios, etc...nothing fixes the issue.

Anyone have any idea as to what the problem is or how to fix this?

Now, the tech wants to reformat my hard drive?
I have spent hours with them on the phone trying to fix a brand new pc.
I'm just a mom here, not a pc guru but I have read for hours online trying to
see if I can find someone else having these same issues.

Dell Inspiron 570
Windows 7 professional
AMD athlon ii x4 645 processor 310 ghz
8 gig installed memory
64 bit operating system

Any help would be appreciated

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
What are you plugging the HDMI cord into?

Second, just to be clear, the computer will work if you start it with the VGA cable, then plug in the HDMI cable and unplug the VGA cable?

This seems to me like a problem with the monitor or whatever you're plugging the computer into and not with the computer itself. Have you tested another HDMI device on this monitor/TV to make sure that it's not the display that is at fault?

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

From this portion of the original post I gather that everything works when the PC is ON and Windows is RUNNING, meaning that you have an image on your TV/monitor/whatever you have hooked up via HDMI and it is exactly what should be displayed. However, before you turn on the PC and after you have shut it off, or before you wake it up from sleep move and after it goes to sleep, you are getting the "No HDMI Input" message, correct?

And you should be.

When there is no image for the TV/monitor to display, it will only display that message, as it doesn't know what else to do. It cannot display something that is not there. The TV/monitor will not shut off on its own unless it has a timer that you can set in its own built-in options. When you plug in the VGA cord, the laptop defaults to the VGA cable as it is a PC-only connection and not something that was slapped on as an afterthought (as HDMI was to all laptops, and though it became standard, it's never been the first choice).

vicki_in_florida

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
What I forgot to mention is that once it goes into sleep mode, it then goes to the black screen that just has the no HDMI error.
When I move the mouse around or touch the keyboard, it won't let me back into the pc unless I either restart the pc or
hook up the VGA chord (and sometimes, that doesn't work either and I have to restart the pc).

Dell tech's seem stumped by this and they have replaced monitor and motherboard (twice).
They now want to reformat the drive thinking it's a software glich which seems odd, no?

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

This second issue sounds like a faulty driver. Find out what kind of graphics are in that laptop and download the latest drivers from Intel or AMD or nVidia, depending on whose it is, and install them.

vicki_in_florida

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
EVERYTIME I talk to a Dell tech, we work on this for hours.
I call them and he uses software that allows him into my pc.
I stay on the phone with him while he works on it.
The first thing they do is update all bios, drivers, etc....
This process takes them many hours and when it's all said and done,
they can't fix it so they keep sending a guy out to replace the motherboard.
Now that replacing the motherboard doesn't work, and replacing the monitor doesn't work,
they now want to stay on the phone with me while they reformat the hard drive :(
This is a brand new pc! I will have reload everything I just put into it including my
80 gigs of music that I spent alot of time fixing into categories etc.
I just feel like a reformat is not going to fix what's wrong.
They obviously don't know what's wrong at this point and I'm not sure if I should yell
to receive a brand new pc or just ask for my money back.
I have mentioned this already and they just continue to tell me that they will get it fixed.
I'm very frustrated!

vicki_in_florida

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
The HDMI is plugged into the pc and then into the Dell monitor which is
a 22" Dell monitor. I also have the VGA plugged from the monitor into the pc.
Shouldn't this work with just the HDMI chord plugged in and not need the VGA chord too?

vicki_in_florida

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
If I remove the VGA chord, the screen instantly goes to black and says no HDMI input which is where I'm stumped. Even though the HDMI is plugged in, it doesn't see it.
Shouldn't this work with just HDMI and not need the VGA chord?
Again, just a mom here so I'm not a techie so I'm asking for help in what the HDMI outlet is actually for.
I thought that my monitor is like my tv and that using the HDMI chord is what gives you the best picture (1080p).
I'm assuming that this all should work just using the HDMI chord and I shouldn't need the VGA chord hooked up. Is that right or wrong?

vicki_in_florida

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Update:

I just got off the phone with the Dell tech.
He told me that this pc was designed this way and that I have to use the VGA chord and to just remove the HDMI chord. He said that the HDMI chord is meant for a projector or a tv.

My monitor is a HD 1080p monitor.
Isn't this tech full of s***?
Shouldn't this pc work with the HDMI chord and not the VGA chord?
The Dell tech said that they will let the Dell engineers know of this issue and that if there is a future fix, they will let me know.

I said it doesn't make sense.
If it wasn't supposed to work this way, then why did you replace the motherboard twice and the monitor trying to get it to work with the HDMI chord?
It sounds like a bought a pc with a flaw and you are just sticking me with it.
The tech just kept saying that if a future fix is found, they will let me know?

I thought the whole reason behind getting a HD 1080p monitor was to watch movies that looked at good as your tv does. The picture should be amazing like a tv. This guy is telling me to get rid of my monitor and try a tv instead?

I'm frustrated and Dell is just leaving me to figure it out.
Can any of you explain to me if I'm understanding this all properly.

What is that HDMI outlet for?

vicki_in_florida

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I'm surprised all the techie members couldn't offer any solutions or at least help a less techie person to understand if that HDMI outlet should have worked or not.
I called the place I purchased this pc from and explained my situation.
They made an exception and let me return the pc so I am sending it back.
No more Dell's for me.
I guess I can't expect help from the internet either.

The Dell Tech is right.

During POST (i.e. Power On Self Test), only the monitor connected to the D-Sub (i.e. VGA) port has a video output signal.

The HDMI port only becomes active once the integrated graphics Windows device driver is loaded.