Replacement for dying GTX 8800

rjlundin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I currently have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 8800, which is dying. I get wavy redlines occasionally on startup (sometimes during the bios boot), and if I try to run anything too advanced the driver will crash. I've tried various updates on the drivers, but I think the reality is my card is just old.

My system is:

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI Bios 0401
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @2.4Ghz
Memory: 2048 MB RAM DDR2
PSU 500 Watts

A general update to my computer is not in the cards right now, I'd like to get another 2 years out of this. There's no reason to buy the latest and greater graphics card, as the system would slow it down. I searched the forum, and while there are others who've had the same request, most of the cards that have been recommended as replacements are now also discontinued (you know your card is old when its replacements are obsolete too), or too expensive for my budget.

So far the GTX 8800 played every game I've wanted to without hiccups, so I'd like to get something similar, I don't need anything that's a vast improvement. I thought about buying a used 8800 replacement, but it might be as close to death as mine. I don't want to spend a lot on a replacement card, preferably in the $100 or less category. I saw Newegg had a refurbed EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 01G-P3-1556-RX Video Card for $99.99 or a refurbed EVGA GeForce GTX 280 01G-P3-1282-RX Video Card for $84.99, but I wasn't sure if there were problems with either of those cards either from reputation or with my system. If anyone has a cheaper or better recommendation, I would love to hear it. Thanks for your help.

Rob

That is a good deal right there. It's much better than a refurbished GTX 550 Ti at the same price.