SBL 5.1 vs Fortissimo II

G

Here's my situation: I am in need of a sound card upgrade, my old on-board PCI64 just isn't cutting it (and never really did). The SBL 5.1 and the Fortissimo II are the same price (about $35 after shipping). My problem is that I can't really distinguish wich is the better card or if a santa cruz/Audigy would be worth the extra money (both are available in the $60 range).

I'm definatily not a musician, so extra connectors aren't a concern. I also have a really good 2.1 speaker system and can't see myself spending the money on a 5.1 set up with the same quality. Mainly I use the sound card for gaming and music. They all seem like a toss up.

BTW I had read the article on here about these sound cards, but it never really satisfied these questions. So, negating extra connectors and the EAX Advance HD, wich card is the best for the price?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I bought a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 a few months back and I returned it in less than a week for a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. The Live5.1 kept popping like crazy on my system and the sound wasn't as deep and vibrant as I would like. Once I bought the Santa Cruz, I was amazing. Almost no popping at all, deep rich sound and better thumping bass. Also, I love the VersaJack. I can easily install my headphones and switch to my headphones at anytime!! Also, the Santa Cruz includes a Virtual Ear feature that simulates 5.1 sound from headphones!! Amazing!!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Get the Fortissimo II. That and the Santa Cruz are two of the three best cards for the price (the other being the Muse XL).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>