Does my own Wifi Router help protect my privacy in a public LAN?

Hello,

I've tried to Google the answer but I can't seem to use the right wording to get the answer.

In short:
I live in a building where there is free (Wired) internet offered in every apartment. Of course, I understand that by connecting the wire to my laptop, whoever administers the interenet (LAN ??) in the building, could see my internet history.

Question:
If I were to add my own Wifi router and secured it by password using WPA2-PSK, I understand that I will somewhat secure my WIFI broadcast.

But will this option offer any added protection against my building internet (LAN ?? ) administrator from searching my internet history: such as (internet banking / websites to download large files / ...etc)

Thanks for any advice
2 answers Last reply
More about does wifi router protect privacy public
  1. Yes, using your own router adds the protection of having your own network protected by the router's firewall. It's no different than using a router to connect to your cable/dsl ISP. In either case, you gain the same protections. You are, in fact, treating the apartment's internet connection as your ISP!

That said, just like your cable/dsl ISP, it’s still possible for someone to eavesdrop on your activity as you traverse the apartment's network. And therefore, just like your cable/dsl ISP, you might want/need to consider a VPN to protect your privacy. Just depends on how much you consider this a threat.

2. We had a similar question recently in a University lodgings situation and the wireless router had been identified by the system and connection barred. Your building may have the same protection against a network within the network.

Ask a new question

Read More

LAN WiFi Internet Wireless Networking