Sign in with
Your question

Cheapest 670 with a decent cooler

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 3:55:52 PM

In the 10 minutes I owned a IceQ 7950 before returning it I was really surprised with how quiet the cooler is, close enough to silent really. Looking at the reviews it seems alot of the 670s run alot louder than the 7950's, but I don't know if it is down to different specs in the system. Which of the 670's can match an IceQ 7950 in terms of noise?

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 5:11:48 PM

The gigabyte Windforce sells at the stock price with a very nice cooler.

Thent
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 5:20:59 PM

I don't hear my Gigabyte 670 over any of the other fans in my case, and it seems to run pretty cool.

And, I was one of the people clicking refresh like MAD on newegg when the 670 came out, I wanted to wait for the Asus DirectCUII or whatever but it didn't come out at launch, so I just chose between the only two available 670's, the MSI and the Gigabyte, and the Gigabyte came factory OC'd with their windforce cooler at the same price as any of the other 670's available. I am very happy with my purchase.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 5:45:27 PM

LOL Chug same here got mine on launch day for the same reasons and I have never heard mine either.

Thent
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 9:44:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I can justify spending alot more than the £260 that I had originally done on the IceQ 7950, the rest of my setup is relatively weak and it seems (at-least in my case) the ATI cards are better value, the performance change isn't that much for me, I'm only running 1080p. I'm really, really after a quiet card, can anyone say if any of the £300 (or a bit more if theres something alot better) 670's are as good as or better than the IceQ 7950 in terms of cooling alone? If they aren't at-least as good then I don't think I'll bother, and go with a 7950 again, I'd gladly take the mild performance hit for a quieter card.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nv...
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=7...

The ones you guys listed are just a bit to much for me, but the MSI one is on there for £300, is that comparable? Also been hearing alot about the FTW cards, are they much good?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I don't want to have a hoover computer, I do alot of gaming after midnight so a loud card is worthless. The thing that drew me to the IceQ in the first place was that it vented mostly out of the case, I thought this would be important since my case is a piece of crap, it has no intake, a tiny exhaust fan and is tiny. Any specific 670 to look for considering that?
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 9:57:00 PM

The best card you can get is the Asus DirectCU II Top and you can bet your bottom dollar it's worth it. Quote: "Yes, you've seen correctly, the ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II TOP is the first graphics card ever that I gave a perfect ten score. The stock GeForce GTX 670 provides already great performance, but ASUS has topped that by boosting it with a large overclock out of the box which catapults it beyond GTX 680 performance levels. Averaged over all our testing we see the card 1% faster than GTX 680 and 8% faster than GTX 670. The card does so without massive power consumption increase thanks to an efficient VRM design and low temperatures. ASUS has done away with NVIDIA's cheap voltage regulation circuitry and put a much better CHiL controller on the card, which also supports voltage control and monitoring.
The ASUS DC II cooler is a revelation on the GTX 670, it provides incredibly low noise levels. In both idle and load the card emits almost no noise, it is actually quieter under full load than most other cards on the market are at idle. Not only noise is low but temperatures are great, too. With only 74°C under load the card is cooler than most other GTX 670 cards tested today.
Manual overclocking works well too, especially memory, which is not overclocked out of the box, performs exceedingly well. We see well over 100 MHz extra memory overclocking potential compared to the NVIDIA reference design, thanks to the revamped PCB design. In the end the card reaches 1890 MHz memory, which is just 5 MHz shy of the highest memory clock ever recorded in a TPU review.
Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested. I simply can't find anything wrong with it. ASUS has sucessfully addressed all the shortcomings of NVIDIA's reference design, yet asks only a moderate $20 price premium for their card. This means that you can get faster than GTX 680 performance at $420. And the card manages all that with a dual slot cooler, that just screams "put me in SLI". Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670... Moving on.... If you want a weaker great card Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:00:18 PM

I have heard the Asus model is very good, but the Gigabyte made it in the top 3 with Asus when they reviewed it here.
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:00:43 PM

7950s aren't necessarily quieter than 670s. As I like to modify everything, I tend to buy a card and replace the cooler with an aftermarket one. There are several you can get that are very quiet. If it needs to vent out the back of the case, you will need a stock 670 cooler and they are pretty quiet as far as stock coolers go. I recommend upgrading you case cooling to have a larger exhaust fan and at least a front intake fan. You can find a new case for cheap and that is the first thing I would do other than cutting up the old one for new fans.
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:01:01 PM

I'm not so sure if the Asus one would be so great for my case, it only has four PCIe slots, so the fans are pretty much going to be against the floor of the case. Can that effect anything badly?
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:03:11 PM

Sorry I was looking at the wrong page when I said that, so thats wrong about 3 slots. Anyway should I worry at all about my cases crappy airflow?
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:06:40 PM

I don't understand what's wrong with the 7950 you have or had? I know that's not your question just wondering
a c 134 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:06:53 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...

It looks like its between the gigabyte 670 and the asus 670 I have to say that the gigabyte one is amazingly quiet I have one. And when it came down to my purchasing it I didn't want to spend the extra 20 dollars getting the cooler from asus when I was already getting a premium cooler at the reference price.

but if you are after a 7950 due to your budget that's understandable get what you can and the best at the price.
a c 134 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:07:52 PM

nevermind your question is about noise yea the gigabyte model or the asus model both are silent as can be.
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:28:25 PM

Sorry I should have explained. I bought a 7950 and returned it immediately for the stupid amount of coil whine it had, just like 7850 I returned. I've heard (perhaps BS) that Nvidia cards are less suceptible to coil whine, but I thought that was down to the manufacturer rather than ATI vs Nvidia.

Anyway. That Asus card is looking really appealing now after seeing the sound level difference compared to the IceQ 7950, (going off the Toms Hardware reviews) the Asus 670 is 32.8 dBA to the HIS 7950's 35.8 dBA. Since I'm after quiet, I think I might have to cave in and throw the extra cash at the Asus card. Thing thats concerning me is as far as I know the Asus card doesn't have (to me) the benefit of venting most of the heat from the case, I suppose I can just replace the case, but I'd really rather not do that, I like my office PC-esque case :) 

Just some stuff for reassurance/putting me right.

1.) Should I bother with the Asus card given my case? Just really worried I'll spend all that extra money on it and its temps will rock up because of the rest of my setup.
2.) Coil whine, I ******* hate it. Are Asus cards known for it?
3.) Is the sound difference significant between my past card and the Asus one? I'm new to PC stuff, don't know what the dbA drop will be like.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:32:20 PM

Because of your case that's a tuff choice and i really don't have the answer maybe someone else can shed some light on the question no there isn't any coil whine with the Asus 670 Top.
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:36:26 PM

Well, its obvious case airflow will effect temps but by how much? I try to keep the wires tucked away as far as I can get them from the GPU, and the case door does have quite a bit of venting right over where the furthest card fan would be.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:47:31 PM

I can't say for sure if you want to guess 1 or 2dBA
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 10:53:02 PM

I suppose I could swap out the case later on, would need to be done eventually anyway. Other concerns, is 2GB enough for 1080p? and does the 670 suffer the same huge performance drops like the 660ti when MSAA is used?
October 18, 2012 11:00:06 PM

as long as your only playing at 1080p go ahead and max out msaa on 660 ti, the only game that has caused it drop below 40 fps was metro
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 11:12:26 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll have to think about it.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 18, 2012 11:13:29 PM

Your welcome and good luck!
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 12:41:20 PM

Thinking about going for it, but wanted to check something first. For how much better the Asus card is in the reviews, it seems odd its only another £20, am I looking at the right one?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-asus-gtx-670-directc...(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-915mhz-boost-980mhz-cores-1344-2xd
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-asus-gtx-670-directc...

Also, just wanted to make sure, are these two cards identical aside from boost clock speed? I can just bump up the clock on the cheaper one if I wanted?
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 12:49:17 PM

What about cooling, same temps and noise performance?

Does the better chip just let it OC further?
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 4:26:17 PM

Yeah let's it OC further same cooling also the top is dual slot card
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 5:34:17 PM

Not sure what you mean by dual slot? I hear the TOP version is just cards with cherry picked chips for better OCing? I don't really no what binned means so sorry.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 5:53:28 PM

Width: 2.5 Slot and Yes basically for better OCing
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 5:59:46 PM

They both have a cooler that sticks out a bit (2.5), or just one? If the two are identical aside from the TOP being cherry picked I think I'll defiantly be getting the standard one. Really appreciate the buying advice.

Going to move to a new thread if I think of anything else, this has gone way off what the OP was.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 19, 2012 6:04:38 PM

cookybiscuit said:
They both have a cooler that sticks out a bit (2.5), or just one? If the two are identical aside from the TOP being cherry picked I think I'll defiantly be getting the standard one. Really appreciate the buying advice.

Going to move to a new thread if I think of anything else, this has gone way off what the OP was.
No problem your welcome and good luck! :) 
!