October 18, 2012 5:44:36 PM

Here's my setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Here's my issue:

After anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours of normal use, I will get 'artifacts' that appear all over the screen, and if I scroll at all they spread until all of the screen is obscured. So far, it only happens when I am using a browser (Chrome in this case, but it has also happened with Explorer). It first started a few minutes after my build was complete, while I was online looking for updates for my drivers. I thought that it might just be an issue with those, but the problem remains after all of the drivers were updated.

The strange thing is that I can run stress tests like Furmark and 3DMark11 and will get no artifacts, but I can just be online and loading a website and they will appear all over the screen. I've also been able to stream video for a couple hours without an issue, but when I went to set up a Steam account, the artifacts appeared before I could enter my email.

I'm starting to think that I've just gotten a bad GPU and will RMA it, but I wanted to see if I've missed anything or if anyone had any further suggestions. Thank you for your help!
October 18, 2012 6:07:10 PM

Check with tech support. I've seen more than a few threads about Sapphire and their seeminly bad batch of 7870's.

Have you tried the dual bios ?

Disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player may help.
October 18, 2012 6:14:18 PM

The hardware acceleration of the browser would cause the GPU to stress more than normal during internet browsing.

It sounds bad to me. I would RMA ASAP so that you don't waste time on your card's return window.
Related resources
October 18, 2012 6:22:41 PM

magikherbs said:
Check with tech support. I've seen more than a few threads about Sapphire and their seeminly bad batch of 7870's.

Have you tried the dual bios ?

Disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player may help.

Yeh, after looking into this, it seems that I'm not alone in having problems with the 7870. But I haven't found any other cases like mine.

I'm unfamiliar with dual bios. I know that it is a feature on my MoBo, but I have no idea what it's use is. I haven't messed with any of the settings in the BIOS, CPU, or GPU since I've been having troubles from the start. I was planning to work my way through learning all of the features of my system and then try OC'ing, but I haven't made it that far yet.

I'll also try disabling the hardware acceleration to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestions.

October 18, 2012 6:28:14 PM

ittimjones said:
The hardware acceleration of the browser would cause the GPU to stress more than normal during internet browsing.

It sounds bad to me. I would RMA ASAP so that you don't waste time on your card's return window.

So far it looks like most everyone (on this forum and others I've posted on) thinks it is a bad card and not something that I am doing wrong. The good news is I've only had the card for about 10 days, so I've got time to get it sent back. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking anything before I went through all of that. Since this is my first build, I wasn't completely sure what to expect and I'm still learning as I go. Thank you for the advice!
October 18, 2012 8:01:40 PM

It's almost definitely a bad card.
October 18, 2012 8:10:49 PM

photonboy said:
It's almost definitely a bad card.

Bad GPU seems to be the consensus. Looks like I'll be sending it back. Thank you for confirming that it isn't me that is the problem. Much appreciated!
October 18, 2012 8:13:04 PM

I just had the same problem with an XFX factory overclocked "Black Edition" Radeon 7770. It would give me artifacts in the strangest places.

I adjusted the core and memory clocks on the graphics down to 1000 and 1125 and the problem seemed to go away. Still, I requested an RMA, and I suggest you do the same.
October 18, 2012 8:15:34 PM

lordnmb said:
I just had the same problem with an XFX factory overclocked "Black Edition" Radeon 7770. It would give me artifacts in the strangest places.

I adjusted the core and memory clocks on the graphics down to 1000 and 1125 and the problem seemed to go away. Still, I requested an RMA, and I suggest you do the same.

Will do. I didn't buy this card to downclock it haha. Thanks for the help!
October 19, 2012 2:18:55 AM

NWWhitt said:
Yeh, after looking into this, it seems that I'm not alone in having problems with the 7870. But I haven't found any other cases like mine.

I'm unfamiliar with dual bios. I know that it is a feature on my MoBo, but I have no idea what it's use is. I haven't messed with any of the settings in the BIOS, CPU, or GPU since I've been having troubles from the start. I was planning to work my way through learning all of the features of my system and then try OC'ing, but I haven't made it that far yet.

I'll also try disabling the hardware acceleration to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestions.

Np :) 

If your card has it, the bios switch will be by the crossfire connector.

Is your motherboard's bios up to date ?
March 21, 2013 9:48:12 AM

NWWhitt said:
Here's my setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Here's my issue:

After anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours of normal use, I will get 'artifacts' that appear all over the screen, and if I scroll at all they spread until all of the screen is obscured. So far, it only happens when I am using a browser (Chrome in this case, but it has also happened with Explorer). It first started a few minutes after my build was complete, while I was online looking for updates for my drivers. I thought that it might just be an issue with those, but the problem remains after all of the drivers were updated.

The strange thing is that I can run stress tests like Furmark and 3DMark11 and will get no artifacts, but I can just be online and loading a website and they will appear all over the screen. I've also been able to stream video for a couple hours without an issue, but when I went to set up a Steam account, the artifacts appeared before I could enter my email.

I'm starting to think that I've just gotten a bad GPU and will RMA it, but I wanted to see if I've missed anything or if anyone had any further suggestions. Thank you for your help!

Are you using a dual monitor setup, and is the monitor in question connected via HDMI?
!