Sign in with
Your question

Another bad 75GXP

Last response: in Storage
December 8, 2001 8:26:15 PM

I just got the RMA number for my 45GB IBM 75GXP (Hungarian built, Feb 2001). It had only given me one suspicious problem when it locked up the computer after sitting parked for an hour or 2. It then wouldn't boot for the rest of that day. It booted fine the next morning, and has worked "fine" ever since.

I "quick tested" w/ IBM's DFT and it passed.
Still unsure, I read up on the problems and decided to replace it with a new 40G Maxtor. Added the Maxtor as slave, and successfully ghosted everything to the it "disk to disk". I then jumpered and cabled the Maxtor as master and disabled the IBM for a few days to make sure everything worked with the ghosted Maxtor.

Next I enabled the IBM as slave and went about setting it up as a "transient data" only data disk for video editing.

I booted from DFT floppy only to hear the dreaded "scratching noises" (the first time in 9 months usage). The noises never stopped, but the bios would eventually find the Maxtor, but not the IBM and it wouldn't post. So just for the heck of it, I switched both drives to cable select and lo and behold the IBM appeared as slave, without noises. BTW, it still contained all original data, boot sectors and all if it matters.

So I proceeded to test it and prepare it for use, planning to "erase disk" (low level format, write all zeros, etc.) it prior to partitioning and formatting NTFS. This is what IBM recommends to "repair" drives that are getting lots of bad sectors, and otherwise misbehaving.

Results:
Quick test - pass
Advanced test - pass
Exercise (2X) - pass
Erase Disk - Failure Code: 0x70
Technical Result Code: 700015C5

RMA process is now underway successfully via IBM support site.

What I find interesting is that I had really had little trouble with it and didn't get the failure code until I attempted to low level format it. The problem with the standard tests is that they don't test the "user data" areas of the disk so even the advanced test isn't complete.

My recommendation to 75GXP owners: do what it takes to back up your disk and do the low level format, even if the drive otherwise tests OK.

BW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bw37 on 12/08/01 09:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : bad 75gxp

December 9, 2001 1:42:19 AM

Ouch!

My 30GB from Mar 2001 has been working fine. But ever since I've been hearing stuff about them, I just didn't want to be too sure. So, I bought a 60GB HD and moved all my data to it. Now, my IBM HD is just being used for the OS. If it goes belly up, then I can just partition some space in my 60GB HD for Windows, until I can get a replacement for it.

Anyways, I would also suggest that all owners do the same, just in case. I don't know...I'd just wanna feel safe... :eek: 

Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A> last updated 12/6/01
December 9, 2001 1:47:30 PM

I see over in cnet that the GXP is about 50-50. And a lot of problems over 40G. I just bought my 20G less then a month ago and I wouldn't have if I new what I new now. It seems my computer has been freezing more lately and not as stable, since I put the HDD in. Not sure if the HDD is the cause or not. I'll be looking for a new one though and put this one in my kids computer, I'll at least try to get my money's worth out of it.

defrage is child's play-fdisk
Related resources
December 10, 2001 8:57:47 PM

Just recieved a 30 Gig 60GXP
to replace my 3 month old 30 Gig 75GXP.
Have to see how this one holds up,time will tell.

Rock out with your AMD out
December 11, 2001 12:59:26 AM

Man, there's a 40GB 60GXP for $93 at Newegg.com. That's brutal compared to the 30GB 60GXP for $153 9 months ago. *sigh* I hope it works fine. BTW, what happened to the 75GXP?

Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A> last updated 12/6/01
December 11, 2001 9:43:06 AM

Click,click,click,lockup.
Time after time after time.
Sometimes it would just click.
Oh well, new drive in less than
2 weeks, so I will give this one a try.

Rock out with your AMD out
December 11, 2001 1:04:54 PM

Oh, alright...
Man, I'm guessing I've got a lucky one that'll survive. Sorry to hear about yours, though.

Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A> last updated 12/10/01
December 11, 2001 1:47:25 PM

> <font color=green>"...given me one suspicious problem when it locked up the computer after sitting parked for an hour or 2. " </font color=green>

Sorry, this is just <b>my personal opinion</b>, based on <b>my own</b> observations and statistics since the time when EIDE was introduced:

All HDD problems that I knew (lock-up, lost data, and development of bad sectors) had occurred when been accompanied by following conditions:

- Overheating (in one case the box was moved under the desk close to the wall that shut the exhaust vent hole;
the drive compartment on another machine had been congested with two harddisks, CD-ROM, CD-RW, backup device and no auxiliary cooling);

- Power management applied on desktop computer’s harddisks. I always asked not to do this (except laptops, no problems with them) and set to HDD always on. But those people who didn’t listen, sooner or later came with harddisk problems;

- Only two machines were equipped with Iomega Zip drives and only those got HDD problems, others identical from the same shipment without Zip still working fine; never have had any problem with Adaptec backup tape devices.

Just a note: every single machine was equipped with its own UPS (except laptops).
December 12, 2001 2:41:35 AM

NickM,

More info if your interested:

The "incident" in question may indeed have been related to coming out a sleep/power management mode. If I recall correctly, when I moved the mouse, the screen came up but the HD just started grinding and making noise. The noise continued without stop until I pressed and held the power switch to kill it. The rest of that day, it wouldn't post, and the noise would return. Much to my amazement, it booted and ran fine the next morning.

Since I was already aware of the 75GXP problems, I proceeded with a plan to replace the 75GXP and use it as a non-critical drive. It was in setting it up for this new intended use that it bit the dust as I explained above (after safely ghosting to the new drive).

I really don't think it had anything to do with overheating as the drive sits all by itself immediately behind the inlet in the bottom of my spaceous Antec SX1240 case. My case temps are never above 30C.

BW
!