Strel0k

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
So I have a GTX 560 Ti and a Phenom II X4 955BE( I have it running at 3,6ghz currently.) So I want to upgrade, there's two options what I thought of;

Buy a 2500k(and a mobo for it) and keep the 560Ti

OR

Buy a GTX 660 2GB(Probably Asus DCII OC) and keep the CPU

Which option would give me more performance/power in gaming?

The 955BE is still a good CPU for gaming so I the GTX 660 would be a good choice, but is it worth the upgrade from GTX 560Ti?
I can't afford the Ti version of 660, and I read that it's not that much better and the Non-Ti version is better for the money.

littleblackboy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
New CPU and Mobo. 660 is not worth it unless you get the Ti. I got a i7 3770k and asrock mobo last week for 320bucks from microcenter.

They had a 660ti for 289.99..

Strel0k

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Ok, hmm. Well, I could get the 660 for 229€ and the CPU and Mobo would be 300€. How much better is the 660 from the 560Ti? And most of the games nowadays are more GPU demanding, so I doubt it's not worth it even though I wouldn't get huge performance increase. More opinions?

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
can u SLI the 560 Ti?

Also, games no a days are WAY heavier on the GPU than the CPU.
So, even though I agree that both areas could use improvements, I really don't think that you're going to get much performance increase in gaming if you upgrade the CPU and mobo, compared to a GPU...

Strel0k

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
My current mobo doesn't support SLI. And that's exactly what I thought too. I would get just general increase in performance if I bought the CPU(and mobo), but I would get even better gaming performance with the GPU, right?

Assuming your budget is approximately $200 to $250 let me comment:

1) It would not only cost about $250 or more for the 2500K and motherboard but you would not get much benefit as your graphics card is the primary bottleneck.

2) If you WERE to upgrade your CPU and motherboard it should be something like this:
- i5-3570K CPU
- Z77 motherboard with Virtu MVP (Virtu can be disabled but costs little extra. I saw a good Motherboard for about $100)

3) Assuming a $200 to $250 budget the only logical upgrade choice is the HD7850 2GB (make sure it's a 2GB version).

Best upgrade option IMO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

The above is a quality company and this card has 71 reviews of 5/5. It's relatively quiet, overclocked and $209 plus small shipping. Hard to beat!!

*Re: your GTX560Ti
Yes, this is still a good card and will play several games at full quality. The HD7850 will make many other games look better. It depends on the games you play.

CPU and bottleneck:
Some games will receive a little bottlenecking and others won't.

NVIDIA/AMD:
NVidia simply has nothing at $200 to compete for value. If you don't mind the hacked drivers, you may wish to investigate using the GTX560Ti as a PHYSX addon card. It would probably provide a benefit to games like Borderlands 2.
(For Batman AC, regardless of card I recommend disabling PHYSX and DX11 completely. It stutters and there's nothing you can do about it.)

SUMMARY:
I recommend the linked Sapphire HD7850 2GB. It will benefit many games and on your budget is the only logical upgrade IMO.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This is what you should do.
Right now you should purchase a new CPU and Motherboard, one that DOES support SLI.

Then in the future when you decide you need to upgrade the GPU.
Pick up a second 560ti and SLI them :)

This would be the most appropriate course of action to take.

SLI and Crossfire introduce micro-stutter which can be very, very annoying. NVidia even tried to fix it in the GTX690 (dual-GPU) with "Frame Rate Metering" which SLIGHTLY improved things only.

You'd also be limited to the amount of VRAM on the single GPU (it's cloned, not added) which I'm guessing is 1GB. It's best to get 2GB of VRAM for $200 or better graphics cards.

SKYRIM (vanilla plus official HD texture pack) can run with 1GB of VRAM, but will use up to 1.5GB if you have a 2GB card which should prevent texture loading at times.

I completely disagree:
a) he already said he's on a budget ($200 to $250 it seems) so the CPU + motherboard would eat his entire budget

b) SLI/Crossfire adds micro-stutter, and some games don't support SLI well

c) VRAM will be limited (I'm guessing he has 1GB)

d) Two of these cards are going to run FAR LOUDER than a single HD7850

e) There are other advantages to newer cards.

f) *Windows would have to be REINSTALLED and most likely can't legally be installed on the new motherboard.

*The most important issue here is you're recommending he blow his budget and then "upgrade in the future" to a card that's already disappearing while also receiving very minimal benefit to his current setup?

Strel0k

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Yeah, that's why I'm not really interested in SLI/CrossfireX. And I can't afford an SLI mobo. I don't need one either.

Strel0k

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I'm talking about euros,not dollars. I can currently use like 240€, so It's pretty much the same with dollars. If I'm gonna upgrade the CPU and Mobo I have to save some more money.

Sorry doublepost,I thought I couldn't edit.

Strel0k

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I actually watched that already, but he's using like beast i7 and stuff so I'ts a bit difficult(for me atleast)to get something out of it, other than that the 660 is better than 560Ti.

Not sure why no one asked this but... What type of games do you play? if its First person shooters GPU (for the most part) is what you will see a bigger improvement from , but if you are playing MMO's or maybe even starcraft 2 CPU might give you a bigger FPS improvement. What do you plan to use your system for?

Then I will have to agree with upgrading the GPU.

But given your current GPU I think it might e better for you to just save up for another month or whatever it takes and get a stronger card than a 660, but that's just what I would do.

as are most reviews. kinda insulting to all of us. it was just to show the difference in cards. unless you're that good at over clocking you're not going to reach those numbers with either processor.

the system you have now is pretty balanced but I had 560's ( ti's ) and all were beaten "performance" wise ( totally forgetting FPS ) by going to a faster 2gig card, Lots of people will still argue otherwise but that's okay.

you're kinda in the middle. My thoughts are a bigger card now, upgrade in a year or so for the processor/mobo/ram. By then new stuff will be out and you'll have different choices to make ( all that will probably be faster at stock speeds.

Strel0k

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I think I'm still gonna go for the 660. I like Nvidia more than AMD because they have better drivers and PhysX are cool. I like Borderlands 2 alot but I haven't played it that much because it's a bit choppy with the 560Ti on high settings. I hope the 660 will run it pleasantly.

And the X4 955BE at 3,6ghz won't be a problem with it right?

It will take you from unplayable to playable at higher settings from the benchmarks I looked over. If you can get good money for your 560ti, I agree that you should get the 660. Personally though, I would wait a bit for prices to come down on the new cards. Nvidia is going to have to lower them to better compete with AMD's rapidly dropping prices in the midrange.

qbsinfo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
a 560ti to a 660 is not that exciting of an upgrade.

sell the 560ti for $125 and add that to the $250 you have and get a gtx 670 for ~$375 playing the rebate game.

if you don't do that then do nothing until black friday and see what 670s are on sale, if any.

I'm agreeing on the GTX660 as well.

For some reason, the benchmark list I found all favoured the HD7850 but I really should look around more.

The benchmarks depend strongly on the settings. Anti-Aliasing highly seems to shift the value to the HD7850 so you need to read these benchmark results carefully.

There are several choices. My top choice would be this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121660&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

This card has an excellent cooler, and for $10 more than the other Asus has a slightly higher overclock with a BETTER BINNED GPU (they test them).

PHYSX:
*You should definitely keep your GTX560Ti as a PHYSX card. It probably will benefit but I still recommend trying a game with PHYSX with and without the addon card enabled (just change in software, no need to physically remove).

Again, it will VARY by the game so try each game with and without the GTX560Ti as an addon card.