Best PCI 2.0 Graphics Card

Solution
pci 3.0 cards do not use all the bandwidth of pci 2.0 except for [strike]maybe[/strike] multi card configurations. so thinking that a pci 2.0 card will make a difference is erroneous using that line of logic.

honestly that cpu overclocked to 4.0Ghz will not bottleneck ANY graphics card, now there are some games that will cause a load on it and slow down the overall performance but, it isn't really a bottleneck.

shoot for the moon and be happy.

lordnmb

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Though it depends a lot on what resolution you will be using and what you're going to be running, at that speed I would think an HD 7870 would be a good bet.

I do think at higher resolutions with a 7900 series card you'd run into a few walls with games that are more CPU dependent, but I welcome discussion on that.

PCI Express 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, so there is no reason to seek out older hardware based *solely* on that.

If you want to go the nVidia route instead, wait for someone else to weigh in as I don't believe I have enough knowledge about their products to offer you a good recommendation.

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Their is very little or no bottlenecks from a pcie 3.0 vc to a 2.0 vc. What you need to look at is the psu and budget. I would suggest getting the best card with some bottleneck than a weak card with no bottleneck. Their are games where a weak cpu will not affect the performance of the strong gpu.

qbsinfo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
pci 3.0 cards do not use all the bandwidth of pci 2.0 except for [strike]maybe[/strike] multi card configurations. so thinking that a pci 2.0 card will make a difference is erroneous using that line of logic.

honestly that cpu overclocked to 4.0Ghz will not bottleneck ANY graphics card, now there are some games that will cause a load on it and slow down the overall performance but, it isn't really a bottleneck.

shoot for the moon and be happy.

Solution

lordnmb

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Exactly right. For the most part, when it comes to game performance, he is still going to be more limited by the GPU than anything else.

lordnmb

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Generally speaking 8 should really be fine, though I can't say with certainty as I have no idea what you use your computer for.