Please help 2560x1440 gaming

Bondo2k

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Ok Hi

Looking to invest in some new monitors i want 2 monitors. I have a evga gtx680 2gb (sli in the near future not that it changes the vram) im hopping to get something in the 27" 2560x1440 resolution range. something like the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM

so 2 monitors @ 2560x1440 gives us 5120x1440 but i only want to game on a single screen and have the other just for windows stuff or whatever i might be doing at that time. is this going to be to much for a single gtx680? id like to stick with ultra high settings and moderate AA or am i stuck to the 1080 :(

As far as monitors go, I would choose the Dell or other major name brand. The LCDs on eBay can be risky and I don't recommend them (although some people have had success). Some games won't run in Ultra mode, but as the 680GTX is one of the fastest cards you can buy right now, I say try it out and see. You can always sell it and upgrade to a different card later. I don't recommend SLI (or Crossfire) because they do have issues, especially if you are prone to seeing microstuttering (not everyone does).

Good points. That's why I noted they should be "perfect pixel" where the display has no dead pixels.

Bondo2k

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
They Monitor itself is not the issue here. I happen to work for a gold certified dell reseller and get excellent discounts on them thats why i used that as an example. the question was about the ram on the 680 if i run 1 monitor in full screen games and a second on just the windows desktop without sacrificing to much performance at those resolutions

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Even then, the perfect pixel guaranteed is only good for 1 year, after that, you are on your own. The overall build quality is much worse including the power supply. The only thing that is worth getting is the 120 hz capable catleap version which is selling for 551 bucks right now for those who really want 120 hz gaming, but still the pcb that enables it to overclock to 120 hz is not guaranteed to be funtional for years at 120 hz.

I rather pay 150 more bucks to get an A+ panel such as the Asus PB278Q that has 3 years warranty with a much higher build quality and have a peace of mind that it will last for a long time.