Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New $1000 gaming system or System Builder Marathon, Q4 2012: $1,000

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 8, 2012 4:46:03 PM

Hi guys,

i wanna build a new gaming system and wanna know should i use the System Builder Marathon, Q4 2012: $1,000 Enthusiast PC below or should i ake my own(not going under $1000)?


Here is the System Builder Marathon, Q4 2012: $1,000 Enthusiast PC Build:
$1,000 Enthusiast System Components
Motherboard Gigabyte DA-970A-D3, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset
$70
Processor AMD FX-8350 (Piledriver): 4 GHz Base Clock Rate, 4.3 GHz Maximum Turbo Core, 8 MB Shared L3 Cache
$220
Heat Sink
Xigmatek Loki SD963 92 mm CPU Cooler
$25

Memory Mushkin Enhanced Blackline: DDR3-1600, 2 x 4 GB (8 GB) Dual-Channel Desktop Memory Kit
$50
Graphics Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 GV-N670OC-2GD, 2 GB GDDR5
$350
SSD
OCZ Agility 3: 60 GB, SATA 6Gb/s $65

Hard Drive
Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K1000.C: 1 TB, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Cache, SATA 3Gb/s $90

Optical LG GH24NS90 OEM: DVD Burner
$19
Case HEC Blitz
$50
Power Corsair CX600: 600 W, ATX12V, EPS12V, 80 PLUS-Certified
$70
Total Cost $1,009




i would prefer a gaming pc using:
intel's core i5-3570k
GTX 670


parts not required: Monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS


Please help me decide( less than $1000)

Thanks Guys
a c 279 4 Gaming
December 8, 2012 8:32:27 PM

The case used in the System Marathon Builder system is absolute junk - I really don't know why they selected it. For $1K the FX-8350 is a good CPU but I'd probably stick with Intel.

If you want to do an AMD build this would be far better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1043.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 17:53 EST-0500)

Or:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1028.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 17:33 EST-0500)
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 8:33:58 PM

This is one I was playing with the other day. Has you 3570k and 670 and includes a bluray player but if you dont want that will reduce the cost by $30

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $951.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 17:35 EST-0500)
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 279 4 Gaming
December 8, 2012 8:42:28 PM

mellwin said:
This is one I was playing with the other day. Has you 3570k and 670 and includes a bluray player but if you dont want that will reduce the cost by $30

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $951.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 17:35 EST-0500)


You can't pair a 3570K with H77 as that eliminates access to the multiplier. You need a Z77 motherboard for that.
m
0
l
December 8, 2012 8:49:23 PM

Hi

I was not personally impressed by this months system builder, g-unit1111 is right on the money!!

Either one of G-unit1111 systems will blow you away, but I would probably go for the Intel system just for the lower voltage/temps (although I am currently running an AMD).

Fungi
m
0
l
a c 279 4 Gaming
December 8, 2012 9:03:37 PM

funguseater said:
Hi

I was not personally impressed by this months system builder, g-unit1111 is right on the money!!

Either one of G-unit1111 systems will blow you away, but I would probably go for the Intel system just for the lower voltage/temps (although I am currently running an AMD).

Fungi


I just bought an FX-8350 this week - it's a very impressive CPU but it has to have the right motherboard in order to get the most out of it.
m
0
l
December 9, 2012 3:10:59 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The case used in the System Marathon Builder system is absolute junk - I really don't know why they selected it. For $1K the FX-8350 is a good CPU but I'd probably stick with Intel.

If you want to do an AMD build this would be far better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1043.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 17:53 EST-0500)

Or:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1028.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 17:33 EST-0500)



Both systems seems nice, but i prefer the intel system. i'd like to use the GTX 670 instead of the Radeon 7950. will the GTX 670 go with the intel system motherboard (ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard) or should i change to another? i'd also like to get an 64gb SSD. Please advise.

Thanks
m
0
l
a c 279 4 Gaming
December 9, 2012 5:16:37 PM

swordmaster said:
Both systems seems nice, but i prefer the intel system. i'd like to use the GTX 670 instead of the Radeon 7950. will the GTX 670 go with the intel system motherboard (ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard) or should i change to another? i'd also like to get an 64gb SSD. Please advise.

Thanks


You might have to increase your budget to get both the GTX 670 *AND* an SSD. I wouldn't get a 64GB anymore as 128GB SSDs are very affordable now and 64GB won't get you very far these days. You can use any GPU with any motherboard - they're not system specific.

Try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1041.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-09 14:16 EST-0500)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2012 5:54:57 PM

Just my suggestion, i'm not saying it will be better or in competition with the others, just if you need all the stuff :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rGwW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rGwW/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rGwW/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($334.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
a c 279 4 Gaming
December 9, 2012 8:02:58 PM

djangoringo said:
Just my suggestion, i'm not saying it will be better or in competition with the others, just if you need all the stuff :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rGwW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rGwW/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rGwW/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($334.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Not entirely sure I'd trust a GTX 670 with a Builder Series but otherwise I like most of the components in this build.
m
0
l
!