Latest scam from photo dealers

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 3, 2005 4:54:51 AM

From the people who sell cameras online
at artificially low prices, stripped of
accessories.
The "starter" battery!
Customer orders online a camera.
Store calls them back, puporting to be
confirming an address.
They tell the customer that the camera
only come with a "starter" battery and that
they need to purchase one that allows a full
recharge. Unbelievable.
-Rich
May 3, 2005 4:54:52 AM

RichA wrote:

> From the people who sell cameras online
> at artificially low prices, stripped of
> accessories.
> The "starter" battery!
> Customer orders online a camera.
> Store calls them back, puporting to be
> confirming an address.
> They tell the customer that the camera
> only come with a "starter" battery and that
> they need to purchase one that allows a full
> recharge. Unbelievable.
> -Rich

Are these "deals" from those slimey NY camera dealers :-p
--
Slack
Anonymous

RichA wrote:
> From the people who sell cameras online
> at artificially low prices, stripped of
> accessories.
> The "starter" battery!
> Customer orders online a camera.
> Store calls them back, puporting to be
> confirming an address.
> They tell the customer that the camera
> only come with a "starter" battery and that
> they need to purchase one that allows a full
> recharge. Unbelievable.

Its an old scam. Nothing new about it. Sorry, if you just *found* out
;)

- Siddhartha
May 3, 2005 5:08:24 PM

"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o bCdnZP7qdxZlOrfRVn-uA@giganews.com...
| RichA wrote:
|
| > From the people who sell cameras online
| > at artificially low prices, stripped of
| > accessories.
| > The "starter" battery!
| > Customer orders online a camera.
| > Store calls them back, puporting to be
| > confirming an address.
| > They tell the customer that the camera
| > only come with a "starter" battery and that
| > they need to purchase one that allows a full
| > recharge. Unbelievable.
| > -Rich
|

| Are these "deals" from those slimey NY camera dealers :-p
| --
| Slack

Most NY Dealers--with probably 2 exceptions, Adorama and B&H--are as slimy as
they are pushy. And I'm not so sure about Adorama and their boy, Meyer.

Juan
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:08:56 AM

"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote
> The "starter" battery!
> They tell the customer that the camera
> only come with a "starter" battery and that
> they need to purchase one that allows a full
> recharge. Unbelievable.

Now that you are old enough to browse the web all by yourself, or figured
out how to turn of the parental controls, you will find many such "deals".
Soon, you may even receive an offer from a certain high level ex-official of
a South African government which has the potential to make you millions.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:21:24 AM

> They tell the customer that the camera
> only come with a "starter" battery and that
> they need to purchase one that allows a full
> recharge. Unbelievable.

No doubt they got this idea from the "starter ink cartridges" that inkjet
printer manufacturers now supply.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:20:41 PM

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> No doubt they got this idea from the "starter ink cartridges" that
> inkjet printer manufacturers now supply.

"Starter batteries" have been around for decades in consumer products.
But I beleive what the other poster refers to is simple scamming to sell
more batteries.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
!