GTX 670 SLI crashing/not detecting one card

statman28

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Hi there guys,

I have just acquired a pair of Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II cards and put them into SLI. But I am getting intermitt crashes (not blue scrren - just a sudden restart and sometimes a RED screen and then when it boots the PC sees only 1 one card. Then I restart the PC and SLI is back until it crashes again. I am watercooling them and Ive checked the temps - they are fine. I have run Furmark for over two hours stressing the cards and all was good. Crashing can be in long or short intervals. I have upgraded from a AMD 6990 which I had no issues with.

I have uninstalled all monitoring software/reinstalled drivers (using driver sweeper)swapped SLI link cable/cards run fine on their own.
Just this morning I thought it was fixed - left Dishonored on for a few hours only to come back to a desktop screen - game was still running in the background - clicked on the game and it was still running fine but 1 card had disappeared from the system and it was just using the one card. Checked Nvidia Software and no SLI - rebooted and back to SLI.

Any suggestions?? Im thinking of possibly reinstalling windows and see how that goes otherwise Im thinking power supply. Its about 3-4 years old - didnt have any issues running a 6990 but you never know could be on its way out.

My specs:

Intel 3930K
Asus Rampage IV formula
16GB G Skill F3-17000CL9
Soundblaster Titanium HD Sound Card
Corsair HX 1000W
OCZ Vertex 3 MAXIOPS SSD
6 other SATA physical drives

Running Windows 7 64
Latest Nvidia drivers 306.97

thanks,

JJ1217

Honorable

statman28

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks guys for your replies. I have tried it without the sound card - didn't help. I have just removed the AMD drivers using the link that JJ1217 posted - didnt realise there was so much AMD/ATI stuff leftover. Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers again after a full clean and just testing it now.... see how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestions...

statman28

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Ran a game in Sli for about 15min then crashed - black screen/reboot. Then as usual just 1 card is showing in device manager. Shutdown and reboot and the card is back again. Ok, will try reinstalling windows on another drive...

statman28

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Ok - reinstalled windows with just the necessary drivers needed and ran Borderlands 2(the crashes were not isolated to one game either - was any game). Although I cant say I have tested it extensively, it has lasted longer than any previous attempts. Hopefully this is it. Anyway I will test it properly when I get some more time. If previous Windows was the culprit I wonder what it was??? Will update once I test it more...

statman28

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Ha - just as pressed send it crashed/reboot. "windows has recovered from a unexpected shutdown". And only one GTX 670 card can be seen in device manager. Hmmmmm....might test the cards one by one extensively and see what happens. Suspect maybe that card that always doesnt show up after a crash may be faulty. Dont have access to a power supply that I borrow and I dont really want to fork out for one if that aint it. Anyway it aint windows - card or psu...

statman

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Installed the card today and all good. Installed it without the waterblock on, just stock to test it. Was interesting to see the temp difference. Water was 25C cooler than stock. Haven't got it overclocked yet~ just happy everything is stable again. What is your overclock?? Is there much headroom on these cards??