Upgrade prebuilt system

Mbundy0330

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I am looking to upgrade a prebuilt system. It's an HP and I'm not sure how easy it is going to be, but thought I would ask everyone here. The computer is mainly used for browsing the internet and e-mail. I'm on a tight budget, but would like to do something to speed it up a little bit. The specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows XP

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology, 3.2 GHz

Memory: 1GB DDR/PC 3200 (2 DIMM)

Hard Drive: 160 GB 7200 rpm SATA

Let me know what you guys think. And thanks for all the help.

Solution
I would aim for the FM2 socket at the least since FM2 will be in use until 2014 so it will be be more up gradable in the future
I added in a SSD in case you want to go super fast but that is compelety optional
The PSU is also optional depending on what you're running right now
Ram is 8GB becasue it is so cheap. I went a bit heavy on the motherboard but i wanted to get in a A75 to get the USB3, Sata 6.0 and the Raid support
What is your budget though?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($47.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston...
Also the CPU will limit you even for browsing
If you can find the model number, we can see if it will support newer CPU's like the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. Even a Pentium D will help.
I would estimate a CPU upgrade would cost about 25
Also adding in a discrete GPU can offload the grpahics load form the integrated chip and free up some system ram at the same time since integrated video uses sytstem ram.
A cheap GPU like the 6450, 5450, 210, 610, 520 etc will help and cost about 25 ish too

Mbundy0330

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

The Computer is an HP Pavillion a850y.

I don't think for browsing that that is a bad processor. Heck, I've played LoL on one of those before.

I still use my Athlon 64 X2 4600+, and that thing runs like a champ in LoL and browsing purposes.

But a discrete GPU would speed things up a bit.

I literally feel pain using my parents P4 system. IT BURNS ><
Going from my highschools P4 to the C2D labs was like night and day.
The Athlon 64 X2 4600+ is literally almost twice as fast as the P4.
Yep a GPU helps alot with rendering esp since the new cards can accelerate certain things.

Well, I'm at college right now, and I only brought the rig in my signature with me to the dorms. My 7 other ones are at home. I think it has 3GB though. It is also going to be used for other light gaming, such as Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, TF2, maybe Civ IV, mainly multiplayer games. Its kind of a Frankenstein, in that it is being put together by alot of super random parts. The P4 is being sourced by an old Dell XPS along with the motherboard and whatnot. My 6670 is just lying around from when I was using a slim computer, and I just happened to have an ATX Thermaltake case and power supply lying around.

I want to see what it can really do, hence the build.

I would aim for the FM2 socket at the least since FM2 will be in use until 2014 so it will be be more up gradable in the future
I added in a SSD in case you want to go super fast but that is compelety optional
The PSU is also optional depending on what you're running right now
Ram is 8GB becasue it is so cheap. I went a bit heavy on the motherboard but i wanted to get in a A75 to get the USB3, Sata 6.0 and the Raid support
What is your budget though?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($47.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($54.47 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $243.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-12 23:44 EST-0500)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS