Sign in with
Your question

New home/Network

Last response: in Networking
November 28, 2011 5:17:51 PM

Hi. First post here :) 

I am moving to new home, and in every room there are two ethernet wall outlets. These connected to the electrical cabinet. I need to get a switch there, so i can share network to every room. One outlet, which deliveres my internet to the switch, and switch shares it to my other rooms via the ethernet outlets in the electrical cabinet.
So to the point: Currently i have a wireless all-in-one device, printer/scanner/copymachine. It has both ethernet and wireless functions. We have one laptop with wireless connection and one desktop pc (and soon other) with wired connection. Where and how will i put my all-in-one, that it would work with all these machines, with all of the functions?
Modem is not required in our house. I could get a router and plug it into one of the rooms, and then all-in-one to it, but i am not sure if my desktop pc would print from it, because it is not directly connected to the printer wiressly or wired way.
What about if i connect a usb stick to router and want to acces files from both desktop pc and laptop. I am sure that laptop works, but what about desktop pc?

Thanks for any answers :) 

More about : home network

November 28, 2011 5:21:13 PM

damstas said:
Hi. First post here :) 

I am moving to new home, and in every room there are two ethernet wall outlets. These connected to the electrical cabinet. I need to get a switch there, so i can share network to every room. One outlet, which deliveres my internet to the switch, and switch shares it to my other rooms via the ethernet outlets in the electrical cabinet.
So to the point: Currently i have a wireless all-in-one device, printer/scanner/copymachine. It has both ethernet and wireless functions. We have one laptop with wireless connection and one desktop pc (and soon other) with wired connection. Where and how will i put my all-in-one, that it would work with all these machines, with all of the functions?
Modem is not required in our house. I could get a router and plug it into one of the rooms, and then all-in-one to it, but i am not sure if my desktop pc would print from it, because it is not directly connected to the printer wiressly or wired way.
What about if i connect a usb stick to router and want to acces files from both desktop pc and laptop. I am sure that laptop works, but what about desktop pc?

November 29, 2011 4:54:36 PM

Printer, if it has built-in networking, just connect it to one of the ethernet ports in the house, it will have drivers and software to enable scanning from any computer on the network.

Hard-drives on the network, if you get a router that has a USB port for drive sharing, hook it up to that, setup the sharing in the router, and any computer on the network will see it.

Wired or wireless connections don't matter as long as they are all connected to the same switch/router.
!